Need some help with a DVD decoder.......

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
ArkiteXJ
Legit User
Legit User

Need some help with a DVD decoder.......

Post by ArkiteXJ »

Hello all, I have sorta' recently built a nice amd comp (ok, ok, nice for a buget) with a 3200+ amd, corsair XMS 1GB, e-vega geforce 6800, etc. and, of course, windows XP pro. Well, I have been using WMP 10 for songs and stuff and have just downloaded the beta WMP 11 and with both versions it says that I don't have a compatible decoder on the computer. Well the guy in circut city said that WMP 10 should be sufficient to play DVD's but no luck. The DVD burner/writer thingy is oem from newegg. is it a driver prob or what?
jtm55
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by jtm55 »

Hi All,

What you need is a CODEC to go along with with Windows media player.

Here's a link to a free one

http://www.videolan.org/mirror.php?mirr ... -win32.exe
Immortal

Post by Immortal »

of course you could also use 3rd party programs, i use both SonicCineplayer and Power DVD! :)
pcrobot
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pcrobot »

I use PowerDVD as well, but I personally have never had any problems playing DVDs in WMP 10.

Edit: Slightly OT, but is this on your lappy?
ArkiteXJ
Legit User
Legit User

Post by ArkiteXJ »

pcrobot wrote:I use PowerDVD as well, but I personally have never had any problems playing DVDs in WMP 10.

Edit: Slightly OT, but is this on your lappy?

No it's not but I have the same prob on it. But I downloaded the codec and it works just fine. Thanks JTM55 for that link!
ArkiteXJ
Legit User
Legit User

Post by ArkiteXJ »

pcrobot, did you buy power dvd or how did you get it?
pcrobot
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: ......

Post by pcrobot »

ArkiteXJ wrote:pcrobot, did you buy power dvd or how did you get it?
It came with my DVD writer. And another copy came with my Dad's DVD player (which I still haven't put in his PC yet. :oops: ) You can get a trial version here.

Here is another free DVD player called Action DVD Player. Or if you'd like more choices... here's a Download.com search for DVD players. Some are limited trials, but some are 100% free.
pcrobot
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pcrobot »

Most Dells ship with PowerDVD installed. Did you have PowerDVD before you reformatted? When you reformatted, you probably lost it. If there wasn't a CD with PowerDVD on it, call Dell and they should send you one.