ATI and AMD merger

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!

Good idea?

Poll ended at Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:30 pm

Good for the consumer
47%
Bad for the consumer
42%
I use Intel and Nvidia only
11%

Total votes: 19

Imakeholesinu
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Imakeholesinu »

Ha! I'm the only person to use Intel and nVidia. I look at it this way. If both can get their drivers together and AMD can get a 6xnm processor it may be good, but they'll still be behind intel.

AMD is only threatened because Intel is getting back into the graphics market.
Razorbacx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Razorbacx »

Is AMD putting all their eggs in one basket with ATI? What does this mean for NVidia? Maybe, with the deeper pockets that AMD has ATI can overtake NVidia and thus we might benefit from the two companies battling it out...then again maybe AMD becomes the next Microsoft and we all become victims of greed and a crappy product to boot. Hopefully, this will all pan out.
Pengwin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Pengwin »

I think chipset wars Nvidia or intel will win. ATi chipsets are....ehh....crappy.

I think AMD will make CPU and integrate ATi GPU's into/next to their GPU's so you will never have to buy a gfx card it will be embedded with the CPU.

Anyways. Im an Intel + Nv fan.
Fogey
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Fogey »

If this were Football:

AMD is on their 25 yard line. Late in the fourth quarter. Third down and 8 yards to go for a first down. Little over eight minutes left in the game. AMD still has all of their time outs.

Intel leads the game after a fantastic early fourth quarter come back. Trailing by 14 points, AMD will have to get back in the game.

AMD comes out of the huddle, going into shotgun formation. ATI is wide left
Hector is at quarterback, hes looking to go deep. He throws deep down field..............................................

Interesting how these merger talks, now aquire talks started late in quater 2005. Wasen't that the time frame when all the Conroe buzz started in earnest.

AMD just doesn't have anything to best intels Conroe right now. Then again, hasen't AMD gotten ahead of Intel in the past only to sit on their then current generation CPU. These CPU wars have gone back and forth before. Nothing new.

Except: I think Intel in the past never took AMD serious enough. Now they are and they are going to go after them big time. I think AMD knows that.
Hence this merger.

If this doesn't play out in the right way, AMD and ATI could go belly up.
No more real competiton for Intel or Nvidia. With AMD/ATI out of the fray, who wins then?