New computer not going to cmos [FIXED]

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Flammadeao
Legit User
Legit User

New computer not going to cmos [FIXED]

Post by Flammadeao »

I just built a new computer today and I turn it on and I can't enter the cmos setup. I sometimes get a window sayint to pres DEL to enter setup, but when I do it just sits at "Entering Setup....". I don't always get the screen to enter the cmos setup though, sometimes the fans just spin up and the monitor stays dark. The fans spin up, spin down, spin up, ec.... each time the fans spin up I get a green light on my monitor like it is receiving information and thus about to display something, but it just goes orange again. :( anyone here have any idea what I can do to resolve this? thankyou very much

if you need it the motherboard is an asus m2n-sli deluxe
Last edited by Flammadeao on Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Have you tried clearing the CMOS?
Joe
Flammadeao
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Flammadeao »

yes I have, just tried that... no luck :/
Sovereign
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sovereign »

Make sure all components are seated properly. In addition, make sure all power wires are connected. I had this issue where my computer would crash if my second CD/DVD drive was not powered...

Further, check for damage to the mobo itself. There was an incident with an A8V Deluxe having its BIOS chip soldered on backward....
Play
Q6600 @ 3.2GHz :: 8GB DDR2-800 :: eVGA 9800GX2 :: 7900GTX (secondary) :: abit IP35 Pro :: 150GB Raptor 10k RPM :: 2x750GB WD Caviar :: 120GB WD :: X-Fi XtremeMusic :: NEC 4551A :: BenQ DVD Combodrive (52x32x52) :: Dual 22" Acer AL2216W :: Thermaltake Armor Black :: Logitech Z5500 5.1

Work
Core 2 Duo @ 2.53GHz :: 4GB DDR3 @ 1067MHz :: 3670 :: Intel PM45 Chipset :: 500GB 5400RPM SATA :: Integrated Audio :: BD-ROM/DVD Burner :: 16" 1920x1080 RGBLED
Cypher
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Cypher »

Double check the jumpers on the DVD/CD ROM Drive, etc..

I know that was a common problem with IDE Drives doing the same thing, but since that board is mainly SATA not sure on what issue could be.

Does the machine beep or anything, may be able look up the POST Codes to see if their might be an issue.

A simple BIOS Update may also do the trick.
Sovereign wrote: Further, check for damage to the mobo itself. There was an incident with an A8V Deluxe having its BIOS chip soldered on backward....
That's weird. First time I've heard about something like that. ASUS usually makes pretty good boards.
Flammadeao
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Flammadeao »

Great news! I got it fixed :). Turns out that my problem was that I had bad ram. Tried some new ram and everything works great! Thankyou very much for you help :)