New Dell box for my work PC

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

New Dell box for my work PC

Post by bubba »

ok, my work got in a bach of new PC's from Dell and they went up a notch from the flavor of the month so that they had upgrade options for the video. The el'cheap'o flavor of the month PC's we got in the past were so stripped down the didnt even have a video expansion slot, well what would expect to get for 500 bucks LOL.

ANY way on to my new one, well its BTX and set up for pasive cooling, even the x600 is setup for pasive. This thing is so quite I can't tell its on. only time I have noise is from typing and when I spin up the HD or the DVD drive (insanly loud).

well for touch over a grand, XP pro, office 2003 small buisness, intel 2.8 pent D 820, 1 gig ram (pc4300 512x2) 80gig sata HD. 19" flat panel monitor, opti mouse and one dinky usb key board, and the best part NO noise :)

any way on to pics...

FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Pretty cool for an OEM work box.
Joe
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

Yeah the newer dells are not all that bad they are trying very hard to make their product stand out against others. Only probelm is they still suck and come loaded with more crap than a fertilizer truck.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

infinitevalence wrote:Only probelm is they still suck and come loaded with more crap than a fertilizer truck.
yup took over an hour to clean off all the crapware and put the good stuff on, so far I'm happy with it. just trying to get all my program toolbars and preferances set now.

ya never think about how much you tweek a program till you have to reload and get the default layout and you find out that new version you just upgraded to doesn't support your custom config profile and key mappings that you have used over the last 10 years :evil: fricken autodesk.
moon111
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by moon111 »

I hear you have to burn you're own Operating System CD now? If that's true...that's a whole new level in cheap. I use to support (I can't legally say) computers and seeing that picture would be more trainning then we'd get for most products we supported.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Nah, we got all the recovery CD's since its the XP pro version.

Now with the XP home Dell's on the other hand, you have pay for the cds, other wise there is a hidden partion with all the info on it. when the PC boots hit CTRL+F11 then it wipes the OS partion then re-installs its self back to the day you bought it. takes about 30 mins start to finish.
Razorbacx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Razorbacx »

I work in AutoCAD 2005 all day and was wondering how the new Dell's handle it? We were considering upgrading to Inventor 11, until the bean counters put a stop to it.

Thanks
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

we just got a hella deal, we upgraded from 2004LT to inventor 11 for a tad over $1500 a seat. so we upped all 5 of our LT seats and will put them in the R&D dept. and moved the R&D full cad seats where the LT's used to be.

to do the same switch with 2004 Mech Desktop to inventor 11 they said it would be around $2500 a seat. most likely wont switch those yet, just do the 2004 to 2007 upgrade that was only $1500 a seat (10 seats)

the upside is that is Inventor 11 INCLUDES 2007 with the mech desktop at its base package. Now we have to make the jump to 2007 mech desktop by march '07 no mater what (the '04 is being OBS) so when we saw the upgrade deal we couldnt pass it up.
Last edited by bubba on Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

BTX and some passive cooling... now that's interesting.
Mortious
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Mortious »

Interesting case, we had a bunch of them here at work that were damaged (we process RMAs for Dell). That opening on the front can cut the hell out of you if your not careful.
pcrobot
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pcrobot »

Sweet!
hainer36
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hainer36 »

ewwww dell....at least the silence wont remind you that dude, you got a dell :mrgreen:

about time we see more BTX systems...since it was suposed to be the main thing a few years ago....right?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Mortious wrote:Interesting case, we had a bunch of them here at work that were damaged (we process RMAs for Dell). That opening on the front can cut the hell out of you if your not careful.
oh that's a safe design... hey bubba go see if you can cut your hand on your case so we can write an article about it. If it's deep enough they might upgrade you to an XPS ;)
Last edited by Apoptosis on Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mortious
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Mortious »

Apoptosis wrote:
Mortious wrote:Interesting case, we had a bunch of them here at work that were damaged (we process RMAs for Dell). That opening on the front can cut the hell out of you if your not careful.
oh that's a safe design... hey bubba go see if you can cut your hand on your case so we can write an article about it.
I was watching some of the line workers pull those cases out of the pallets they came in. If you grab that front portion (in the pic you can see the serated edge) you can easily cut yourself, couple of the line workers have the scar to show for it.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

take some pictures of those scars... I'm always up for an interesting editorial.
Mortious
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Mortious »

Will do.
pcrobot
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pcrobot »

LOL. That reminds me of that scene in Matrix Revolutions where the dude (taken over by Smith) is like "Where did these cuts come from? Did I do it? If I did, why? What if I'm not me? If I'm not me, who am I?" :lol:
Kerii
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kerii »

moon111 wrote:I hear you have to burn you're own Operating System CD now? If that's true...that's a whole new level in cheap. I use to support (I can't legally say) computers and seeing that picture would be more trainning then we'd get for most products we supported.
Partially true.

When picking out an operating system, Dell offers you a reinstallation CD for $10 extra.

Otherwise, like you mentioned above.

Considering how some people don't even know what "OS" stands for, I guess it does make some sense.

And for people who know what they're doing, burning a CD, or sturdier DVD is no hassle at all, plus it saves $10.