Core 2 Duo-Low CPU core voltage warning

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
CaptChuck
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Core 2 Duo-Low CPU core voltage warning

Post by CaptChuck »

OK.........I'm building my first computer and may have bit a little deep.....

The system I've put together is:
Core 2 Duo E6600
Intel D975XBX Mobo
2 GB Corsair DDR2 6400
ATI X1900 XTX 512 Video
X-fi Platinum
Thermaltake 550W PSU
200 GB WD HD

Everything went together just fine until I loaded the intel desktop utilities and it immediately reportd a low voltage warning on the CPU core.
The utility indicates the voltage should be 2+ volts and it shows it's only getting 1.41-1.53 volts.
I've checked all the connections, updated the bios to ver 1774, and all other voltages show good in the utility. I'm stumped.........
Any suggestions would be much appreciated?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

default voltages on The E6600 is 1.325V, so you should be fine. Do not run over 1.5-1.6Volts on it unless you are using watercooling or a really good heat sink!

Try using CPU-Z 1.36 and checking the voltage on the processor... should read between 1.1V and 1.3V, not 1.4V like you are seeing. Did you manually set the voltage in the BIOS?

Also about the BIOS you are using... never seen that one... a new one just came out this week on 8-25-2006 and is named BIOS Update 1351 [BX97510J.86A], which is the latest and greatest from Intel. You can grab the BIOS here. I highly suggest using the Express BIOS Update method as I've done it a hundred times with 100% success.

Welcome to the forums! I hope you stick around and find the community here a help for all your PC needs.
Last edited by Apoptosis on Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bwall
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bwall »

Very nice system you've got there!

You can change the low voltage threshold in the Intel desktop utility to bring it in line with the low power requirements of Core 2 Duo. I adjusted it to 1.22v, this allows me to use the lowest voltage in the Bad Axe BIOS and not get the warning from the utility.

I remember the first time I started up the utility and got that warning, it threw me for a moment. :rolleyes:
CaptChuck
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by CaptChuck »

Wow! Quick replies and good info!!......COOL

AND... what a relief. I don't know why I hadn't confirmed the voltage requirements. I assumed (I know, I know........pretty dumb :oops: ) the Intel utility would report accurately about the Intel chip!

I ran CPU-Z and it shows a voltage of 1.26 at semi-idle.

As far as the bios go, I did use the 1351 update. 1774 is the final string of the bios version after the update......

I'm learning quick and really appreciate the help!

BTW........BF2 is AWESOME with the ATI X1900 XTX card. I can see things now I did not even know were around with my old system!!

Thanks Again

Chuck