Best Air Cooling? Mobo? Memory?

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Gamble
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Best Air Cooling? Mobo? Memory?

Post by Gamble »

I already posted this on the cooling thread, but I'm guessing it doesn't get nearly as much traffic as this one. I was just wondering what everyones thoughts were on the best air cooler available right now. I am leaning toward buying a Thermalright Ultra 120 or a Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX. Any that blow these out of the water? What is everyone's opinion?

Might as well ask everything I want to right now...
What are some good mobos and memory I could use with a Core 2 E6700? I plan on OC'ing it to the 3.5 range (seems reasonable with all the overclocking articles I have read lately)....possibly changing to water and overclocking to around 3.75 to 4...which is why I'm looking for top of the line air cooling/mobo/memory to use with it. Looking to spend around $200-$300 on memory and mobo each.
Once a gamer,
Always a gamer.
Rock on.
-Gamble
Hapkido
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Hapkido »

You might want to consider one of the Noctua products, e.g., see this review:Noctua NH-U12. I'm personally going to go with the smaller version here: Noctua NH-U9F. Don't get caught up in what's "trendy". :roll:
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!
Zenphic
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Zenphic »

For the cooler: http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm ;)

Thermalright Ultra 120 is Frosty Tech's pick for the socket 775 processors
Hapkido
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Hapkido »

Perhaps for the 775 socket. But Frosty also rates the Noctua NH-U12 as the best performing HSF unit in This review conclusion. And the NH-U9 as #3. Go figure. hehe

Different strokes for different folks! 8)
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!
azncarbos
Legit User
Legit User

Post by azncarbos »

You wanted a good mobo, I say go with 680i mobo, you can support the 8800 videocard. Like EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR which go about $250 and great for overclocking and for memory I go with OCZ or Corsair
My Rig:
AMD FX-57 3.0GHz OC
2x XFX GeForce 6800XT 512MB(in SLI)
CORSAIR XMS 2GB(2x1GB) DDR 400 @2-3-3-6
eVGA 123-K8-NF47-AX
2x Seagate Barracuda 500GB in 0 Raid
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum
Creative Inspire P7700 7.1 surround sound
KWORLD ATSC-110 HDTV Tuner
Ultra Aluminus Case
changazm
Legit User
Legit User

Post by changazm »

For the memory, I'd suggest G.Skill. They're not very well knows, but they are practically OCZ for less.
Gamble
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Gamble »

Perhaps for the 775 socket. But Frosty also rates the Noctua NH-U12 as the best performing HSF unit in This review conclusion. And the NH-U9 as #3. Go figure. hehe

Different strokes for different folks!
That review just happened before the Thermalright Ultra-120 was reviewed, so it wasn't included in the results. The NH-U12 is at 17.5 over ambient, but the Ultra 120 is only 12.4 over ambient...but it's a little louder. I need to find some really silent 120mm fans.
Once a gamer,
Always a gamer.
Rock on.
-Gamble
LordEder
Legit User
Legit User

Post by LordEder »

I've installed the Zalman 9700CU nice performance and looks good!
trueg50
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

best stuff

Post by trueg50 »

I would whole heartedly recommend the Asus P5N32-E SLI, it might be price but when coupled with OCZ platinum low latency PC-6400 RAM, it is a killer system. that is what I am using right now, and loving it.

How intent are you on air cooling? I tried watercooling for the first time with a "ThermalTake Big Water se system" and it was very easy to install, cost $99 (at xoxide.com which I highly recommend) and can out perform any air cooler with ease. My E6400 at 3.5 ghz runs at only 45 degrees Celcius. All the air coolers I ahve seen run at a migh higher temp at only 3 ghz.
wyatt`
Legit User
Legit User

Post by wyatt` »

LordEder wrote:I've installed the Zalman 9700CU nice performance and looks good!
I currently use a Zalman but a friend showed me this AFTER I had installed it. I'm considering it for my next box.

http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/cpu/0 ... 1000p.html
My Rig:
AMD64 X2 3800+ w/ Zalman Cooler
eVGA GeForce 6800GS 256MB
OCZ 1GB(2x512) DDR 400 @2-3-3-5
Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9
1x WD Raptor 10k 36GB
3x WD 160GB (External USB storage)
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 Platinum
Klipsch 2.1 THX Speakers
Antec LanBoy Case
Samsung 204B 20.1" LCD