Rut-Roh

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Wolfgang70
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Rut-Roh

Post by Wolfgang70 »

I have a problem gents and gentettes. I've been having an intermittent <sp> problem for the past week of my internet connection getting a hiccup and suddenly not working. In order to get it to work again I had to unplug the cable modem and plug it back in. So last night I was in the middle of some gaming and it went caput. I guess it had had enough because no amount of unplugging, rebooting or yelling would get the damn internet connection back. So I call up my cable internet provider and ask what's up. We go through this whole deal of looking for CABS files (no idea what those are) with no success so he tells me I'm going to need my OS disc because we're going to remove something that has to do with the TCP/IP and then reinstall it off the disc. Guess what? I spent an hour and a half last night searching for the damn OS disc. No dice. So, does anybody have any ideas on what my problem might be and what a fix might be short of needing the OS disc? BTW, it's Windows ME. I'm half tempted to just go buy XP but it's difficult for me to shell out that kind of dough on short notice. Anyway, any help would be appreciated.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

WinME == pure sh*t i would highly recomend spending the $100 on xp home, if you get an oem pack you might even get it cheaper. The company i work for does not support any of our products running on winME.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Windows ME is officially proven to be the worst Microsoft OS ever made. You can find compies of Win XP Home for under $100 if you look around a bit.

You'll be legal and you'll be able to use the upcoming SP2 release.
A10Pilot3
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by A10Pilot3 »

XP Home is $87 at NewEgg, cheapest I know of.
Amy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Amy »

If you can afford it, Windows XP Pro. is way better than Windows XP Home. Unfortunately, it's also more than twice as much... Either way, get rid of WinME!! Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad....
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

I say just keep with home, all pro adds is networking features that most (if not all) home users dont need.
Amy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Amy »

That is true, but Pro makes it a lot easier if you ever have more than one computer and you want to access data between them (i.e. file sharing, LAN parties, etc.). I guess it is the networking capabilities that has made me like Pro so much more than Home. If you don't have any intention of connecting 2 or more computers together, then by all means, go with Home.
Wolfgang70
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Wolfgang70 »

I have a line on an unregistered copy of XP home that I'm going to follow. Stay tuned.

By the way, I have a new HD that I can install for now and load up XP. Should I just disconnect my current HD with ME on it until after I get XP loaded onto the new HD and then slave the old drive to it? Or should I just slave it as I'm hooking up and adjust the boot sequence in the bios? Also, once I get XP loaded onto the new drive, what, if anything, do I have to do to access the info on the old drive? I could figure it out and stumble through it but why when I have such a great resource in all of you? 8)
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Yes just pull the old drive if you plan on useing the other drive as your new system drive, then plug it into the slave connecter and copy the files you need. The last thing you want to do is upgrade your system drive from ME to XP. NEVER do an upgrade always start with a clean drive and then install or copy the files and programs you need.
A10Pilot3
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by A10Pilot3 »

Amy wrote:If you can afford it, Windows XP Pro. is way better than Windows XP Home. Unfortunately, it's also more than twice as much... Either way, get rid of WinME!! Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad....
XP Home - $87
XP Pro - $135

Learn math :P

EDIT:

XP Home - $90
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductde ... 141&DEPA=6

XP Pro - $141
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductde ... 143&DEPA=6

Sorry prices went up, but those are the full versions, you just get the CD and the key code. Plus you get a free NewEgg hat :D
Amy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Amy »

give me a break. I just did a quick google search for my prices and went to some random website that was selling the os's. in the case of that website (which was not NewEgg, but I should have gone there instead, I know), Pro is more than twice as much as Home...at any rate, it is more expensive either way.
A10Pilot3
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by A10Pilot3 »

Only places you need to know are NewEgg for parts, and Xoxide for cases and modding supplies.