DELL SUCKS ASS

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!

What should I do with it

Throw it out the 8th floor window!!!
19%
Light it on fire!!!
13%
open it soak it with water while its running!!!
16%
Use it for target pratice with HydraShock rounds
16%
Sit around and wait another 3 months for dell to repair it.
38%

Total votes: 32

DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

dude this sucks. I've had to have at least 3 mobo's in my dell laptop (the infamous 5150), the extneded warantee really paid off this time round. Maybe you could send your laptop to me in the UK and I could pretend to be you and get it straight replaced then ship it back? :P

Next time I get a laptop, I'm definately going to check round what user's opinions are before I dive in and get one purely on specs. the amount of times I've seen a tech has been too many.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Xanlamin
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Xanlamin »

I had bought a Dell C600 Latitude Laptop from Dell about 7 years ago, my daughter spilled soda in it and the keys where sticking, I called Dell and was told they would have a tech out the next day to replace the keyboard. Not even 5 min later while still on the phone they had said they would just replace the whole thing just in case there where other non apparent problems that could arise fromt he spill...3 days later I had my new laptop...a C640 since they had discontinued the C600, I am still useing this C640 and have only had to replace the HD in this time, it is a solid machine.

Mind you my situation was done when Mr. Dell still "owned" the company and was still incharge, the current problems with Dell started after he steped down from ownership of the company and some other yahoo took over.
zparker
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by zparker »

dielets see....It will have been a month on sunday that Dell has had the laptop. I called today and Jamie stated oh they just finished it today and you should have it tomorrow. I will beleive it when it is in my fkin hands. I am going to run the hell out of the thing and if it crashes again, I am going to add a little bit of something to make the damn thing smoke, and i mean BANG i want it to explode so they have to replace it this time. They put a 3rd LCD and a 2nd or 3rd motherboard......

:axe: die :axe: dell :axe: die :axe:
EVGA nForce 680i SLI board, XFX GeForce 7950GT@641/1244, Corsair XMS2 2GB DDR2 800 TWIN2X2048-6400C4 (4-4-4-12) 2.1v, Core 2 Duo E6400 (3.0ghz) at 56c max stock cooling, 2 Seagate Barracuda sata 3.0gb 320gb not raid yet and 550watts

old board at 3.2 stock videocard settings / new board at 3.0 oc video card / 3.2 & oc video card

3dmark 2003 score= 22851 / 25262 / 25767
3dmark 2005 score= 10220 / 11764 / not yet
zparker
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by zparker »

:finga: dell :axe: dell :snakeman: dell is the devil :snakeman:

Out of the box, keyboard has double keys... the K and L strike together either one causes both as well as the I and O and the , and . so i want to know does anyone have some denatured alcohol? Id like to pour a cup of that into the machine. It will short it out kill it and evaporate with no residue.

although it might ignite when it sparks and i might be inclined to let it BURN :axe:
EVGA nForce 680i SLI board, XFX GeForce 7950GT@641/1244, Corsair XMS2 2GB DDR2 800 TWIN2X2048-6400C4 (4-4-4-12) 2.1v, Core 2 Duo E6400 (3.0ghz) at 56c max stock cooling, 2 Seagate Barracuda sata 3.0gb 320gb not raid yet and 550watts

old board at 3.2 stock videocard settings / new board at 3.0 oc video card / 3.2 & oc video card

Legit User
Legit User

Post by 24 »

You can always "accidently" drop it from Roof and shatter it to pieces :mrgreen: i bet that would help :drinkers:
zparker
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by zparker »

as then replaced the keyboard today, it still did it so he went to replace the mother board. The processor heat spreader that is on the die thats made out of glass is broken.....half of it came off with the heatsink stuck in the compound. So now its dead again....

setscrew
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by setscrew »

I believe that Dell is finally coming around with regards to higher quality systems. Granted that the bargin systems (less than $600) are still fairly anemic. The upper level systems are quite robust and one can obtain American customer service for a price.
pas44141
Legit User
Legit User

Post by pas44141 »

2 Dell laptops (510m) in this house and they've been solid.. and the DELL support you got there is harsh, seems you're a minority though. acha.
pwnz0r
Legit User
Legit User

Post by pwnz0r »

Well first off, Dell is forced to abide by little things that kinda govern the world known as laws. Export compliance is HUGE when it comes to global business. The fact that this guy even got a response is actually kinda surprising to me since im sure whoever purchased the computer agreed to not take it out of the country in which he/she purchased it.

I work up at dell and do not deal globally, but for the most part, it seems sometimes if you are not part of an organization with large buying power who buys the top warranties, you might get put on the back burner. I manage large accounts, selling between $20-25M a year and since they are large accounts, we pamper the hell out of them, typically giving smaller stuff away if something gets f'd up.

anyhoo, im not defending the fact that you say dell sux -- it does in many ways -- but the fact you got some help at all thousands of miles away from home is pretty interesting. I will also say that if you only get a part and labor, mail-in warranty it is also your fault for receiving elongated, crappy service.

Oh and you are delusional to think you were speaking with Dell himself.
zparker
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by zparker »

this laptop has international warranty. As the home office says. The deal is more to the fact that the people at dell are about as competent as a room full of monkeys. Wait im not giving enough credit to the room full of monkeys, they are as competent as half a room full of monkeys.

its just ridiculous that it sat at their fkin corporate repair in austin for a month and came back broken after the 4th lcd and the 4th motherboard have been installed. The guy that worked on it even said "oh i was wondering why i couldnt log in, i thought i was just fat fingering the keyboard. I didnt think to try to type administrator in the user field." YEAH BECAUSE IF YOU HAD YOU WOULD HAVE SEEN THAT IT WAS JACKED UP RETARD!!!! :finga:

so if you want to kiss Michael Dells ass some more you can give me your name and i will personally email him to let him know when i email him tomorrow.....AGAIN

zparker
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by zparker »

pwnz0r wrote:Well first off, Dell is forced to abide by little things that kinda govern the world known as laws. Export compliance is HUGE when it comes to global business. The fact that this guy even got a response is actually kinda surprising to me
So basically your saying that a traveling business man is supposed to buy a laptop for each country he goes to? Its not that the company bought them in europe and shipped them here, its that the company has 12 people engineers project managers and such working with a company here to design a pipe line. And they are only here for less then 1 year. And its pretty obvious that you dont do support, or you are still green, because as the tier 2 manager stated, "this happens all the time we have a little thing called a dummy ticket for that".

Oh yeah...is this ryan?

pwnz0r
Legit User
Legit User

Post by pwnz0r »

I looked over what I wrote in my previous post and didnt see a single bit of ass kissing regarding mr. dell. However I do see a giant flaw in your argument/demanding skills. You are the type of person who, instead of getting to the bottom of the issue and finishing all of your bitching at once, likes to take baby steps in getting what you want. This allows you to continually rant and rave and feed your insecure need to feel important.

If you were smart you would realize that when you get someone on the phone, that person is NOT the person who can fix your issue. You fail to realize that a fortune 50 company has more resources than half the countries of the world, which means you should stay on the phone (yea staying on the phone sux) until the person you are talking to escalates the situation, gets confirmation from someone higher up, then sends you an email that will set your expectations. Thus, you spend two hours on the phone, refusing to hang up until your issue has some sort of closure. Whoever you are talking to has a boss. The boss does not want the next boss to hear anything of your issue, so he or she will gladly offer you a solution, get the wheels turning on it, and try to set an expectation.

While the service you are getting blows in this case, and the particular system you were so unfortunate to receive blows, you can keep a the homo lil saying of "every time you point a finger, there are three more pointing back at you" in mind. Ive now gone as far as I will with this borning thread, but dude you could have fixed this by being more of a pain in the ass ages ago.
wyatt`
Legit User
Legit User

Post by wyatt` »

pwnz0r wrote:Well first off, Dell is forced to abide by little things that kinda govern the world known as laws. Export compliance is HUGE when it comes to global business. The fact that this guy even got a response is actually kinda surprising to me since im sure whoever purchased the computer agreed to not take it out of the country in which he/she purchased it.

I work up at dell and do not deal globally, but for the most part, it seems sometimes if you are not part of an organization with large buying power who buys the top warranties, you might get put on the back burner. I manage large accounts, selling between $20-25M a year and since they are large accounts, we pamper the hell out of them, typically giving smaller stuff away if something gets f'd up.

anyhoo, im not defending the fact that you say dell sux -- it does in many ways -- but the fact you got some help at all thousands of miles away from home is pretty interesting. I will also say that if you only get a part and labor, mail-in warranty it is also your fault for receiving elongated, crappy service.

Thanks for giving us yet another reason NOT to buy from Dell. Your attitude is typical of everyone this guy dealt with in that POS company.
Burn baby Burn. :finga:

HP > Dell :lol:
My Rig:
AMD64 X2 3800+ w/ Zalman Cooler
eVGA GeForce 6800GS 256MB
OCZ 1GB(2x512) DDR 400 @2-3-3-5
Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9
1x WD Raptor 10k 36GB
3x WD 160GB (External USB storage)
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 Platinum
Klipsch 2.1 THX Speakers
Antec LanBoy Case
Samsung 204B 20.1" LCD
zparker
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by zparker »

pwnz0r wrote:
I dont care if i his mother got the email, His product is sub par and the service is crap.

It took a email to him to get a damn thing done. Now im sure you feel important to be working for a big company with good benifits, and if your lucky you might get a pat on the ass from Mr dell himself.

To put it in average IQ terms......."DELL SUCKS" break it down how ever you want to.

I really did wonder how long it would be until someone from dell commented on this thread.

And by the way didnt you have to sign something stating that you would never "diss" the products of the company you work for? IE..
While the service you are getting blows in this case, and the particular system you were so unfortunate to receive blows
im done. But the laptop is not yet.

IF I DO DESTROY THE THING I WILL TAKE VIDEO

ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Dell

Post by ibleet »

I've owned Dells for over 10 years and not once have I had a problem that they didnt fix quickly. I must say that I am very satisfied with their performance. Maybe I've just been lucky. :P
cyberneticimplant
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by cyberneticimplant »

Dell isn't the worst. I think Gateway, and MDG are much worse. I think Dell has it's share of horror stories because it is so popular.
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

Build some kind of Rube Goldberg device to destroy it...maybe include soaking it while it's running (with gas or other flammable), light it on fire with a flaming HydraShock round and have it tettering on the edge of a 8 story window so when the round hits it ignites and gets knock out the window at the same time...That way you don't have to pick which way is best to destroy it, you use all four!!! :snakeman: yeah I'm a pyro at times :roll:
moon111
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by moon111 »

pwnz0r wrote:I looked over what I wrote in my previous post and didnt see a single bit of ass kissing regarding mr. dell. However I do see a giant flaw in your argument/demanding skills. You are the type of person who, instead of getting to the bottom of the issue and finishing all of your bitching at once, likes to take baby steps in getting what you want. This allows you to continually rant and rave and feed your insecure need to feel important.

If you were smart you would realize that when you get someone on the phone, that person is NOT the person who can fix your issue. You fail to realize that a fortune 50 company has more resources than half the countries of the world, which means you should stay on the phone (yea staying on the phone sux) until the person you are talking to escalates the situation, gets confirmation from someone higher up, then sends you an email that will set your expectations. Thus, you spend two hours on the phone, refusing to hang up until your issue has some sort of closure. Whoever you are talking to has a boss. The boss does not want the next boss to hear anything of your issue, so he or she will gladly offer you a solution, get the wheels turning on it, and try to set an expectation.

While the service you are getting blows in this case, and the particular system you were so unfortunate to receive blows, you can keep a the homo lil saying of "every time you point a finger, there are three more pointing back at you" in mind. Ive now gone as far as I will with this borning thread, but dude you could have fixed this by being more of a pain in the ass ages ago.
The problem of staying on the phone, and talking to that person's boss is... you're not talking to the OEM... your talking to an outsourced company. As a former technician, I would get the problem resolved. And what do you get for that level of service? Major threats of being fired. Outsourcers care about one thing, get the person off the phone. Some techs have to do it in 15 minutes, others in 20. Because the outsourcer gets paid by how many calls, not how long. If someone had a fixable Windows problem but the call will take you 25 minutes to do, you tell them they have to back-up... format time. If they want to 'save' their data... great they're gone. If they don't care... a simple format c: and setup... and tell them to call back in 1/2 hour...still they're gone quicker.
And what about the trainning provided for these outsourced OEM techs? Personally I never recieved any trainning on XP/NT/2000/ME when they came out. No, it was learn by messing up a zillion times first. When I transfered from supporting one country to another... I wasn't trainned on how to use a completely different database. I wasn't trainned on 50% of the desktops, never touched a laptop...didn't know what a docking station was, etc. My trainning came from Googling every problem that came up. But don't worry because as soon as you start to know what you're doing, they pull the contract and move it to India... so you have a new set of idiots that you can't even understand what they're saying. And what's worst? The idiots who go in the field are a seperate outsourcer. And many of these outsourced techs have to call in, because they don't know what they're doing. If you do luck out and get good service from these two outsourcers you've been dealing with... you're still out of luck because that little 'stuck' key issue is actually a known defective motherboard that will be taken out and replaced with refurbished motherboards until the warrenty is done. The accountants did their math... it's cheaper replacing them all with an actual part that will continue to function.
zparker
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

FIXED

Post by zparker »

OMFG!!! 3 cpu's, 5 motherboards, 4 LCD's later and misc. other parts the machine is repaired. I ran super pi to check stability to 32m and it completed.....in about 30 minutes :mrgreen:

now that it is working im gonna ship it back to dubai and let them have it.

Sovereign
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sovereign »

...and that's why I only buy Dells for non-critical things like "schoolwork!"

Seriously, I've not had a problem with my Inspiron, and when I broke MediaDirect (which I don't use and might actually delete), they had a rep on the phone who fixed it in five minutes. So I haven't had a problem with them, but can sympathize with those who do because their support is so hit or miss, unlike eVGA where it's a home run every time.
Play
Q6600 @ 3.2GHz :: 8GB DDR2-800 :: eVGA 9800GX2 :: 7900GTX (secondary) :: abit IP35 Pro :: 150GB Raptor 10k RPM :: 2x750GB WD Caviar :: 120GB WD :: X-Fi XtremeMusic :: NEC 4551A :: BenQ DVD Combodrive (52x32x52) :: Dual 22" Acer AL2216W :: Thermaltake Armor Black :: Logitech Z5500 5.1

Work
Core 2 Duo @ 2.53GHz :: 4GB DDR3 @ 1067MHz :: 3670 :: Intel PM45 Chipset :: 500GB 5400RPM SATA :: Integrated Audio :: BD-ROM/DVD Burner :: 16" 1920x1080 RGBLED