How not to do it.

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

How not to do it.

Post by infinitevalence »

A nice site with some interesting pictures of how not to build your next computer.

http://notlikethis.hole.fi/?page=main
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
eric m.
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by eric m. »

those pictures are amazing. i'm pretty sure none of us are that stupid though. :)
kalmark
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by kalmark »

I'm always afraid when tinkering inside that I will get to one of these sites :) Just a slip with the screwdriver, and you're famous :)
eric m.
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by eric m. »

kalmark wrote:I'm always afraid when tinkering inside that I will get to one of these sites :) Just a slip with the screwdriver, and you're famous :)
well kind of. see, the problem with all the customer pictures on the site is not necessarily what they did (although some of those are really stupid mistakes), the foolish thing was them trying to send them in for warranty repair assuming no one would notice. so it's their own fault their idiocy is on the internet for the world to see. good thing for them they are not from the US. i think it's a great idea for that company to do that, and i think they should do that here too when people send in their errors as a warranty repair. i think they should include the customers name and picture as well. now that would be fun.
P4C800-E dlx â–‘ 3.2e @4ghz â–‘ 9600XT â–‘ 510 deluxe PSU â–‘ danger den â–‘ hyperX
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Kalmark you cannot live in fear. I have busted off resistors on motherboards before and theres not much you can do unless you have expert skill in soldering board leavel componets. You just buy another one and move on. The sad part was i busted it installing a stock AMD cooler.
A10Pilot3
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by A10Pilot3 »

I hate AMD heatsinks, why in the heck should you need a screw driver?

When I was a noob I pressed down as hard as I could with a screw driver on the wrong side (not where you are supposed to put the screw driver and it smashed into the motherboard... but it still worked :D

I always had the impression that if you so much as touch a computer chip it's toast, but in reality they have proved to be invincible so far...
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

The new AMD mounting bracket for 754, 939, and 940 is much better than 478. Its even better in my opinion than the Intel bracket.
Xerxes
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Xerxes »

far better, the new versions of their a64 heatsinks dont require anything but your hands :)