Core 2 Duo/8800 GTS 320mb

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Core 2 Duo/8800 GTS 320mb

Post by dgood »

My friend asked me to outline a system to build him for around $1000 give or take a little. with the said things in the title so heres what I picked planning on overclocking the core 2 duo a bit at least. Took a picture of it all since I didn't' want to write it all down. I was wondering if those looked like they would all work for that purpose and any suggestions within close price proximity to improve.
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

Boards not gonna OC well, and the PSU is crap
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

aight, any reccomendations this is what he picked and said should be alright but hes not 100% if hes going to actually build it yet so we're just looking around.
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

would it be cheaper to get it all there? or not? Thanks for the quick response though. I didn't know for sure about which boards oc well but I saw people in reviews who had the original one overclocked decently well.
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

for some things yes, for some things no. You gotta compare
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

Overall Raised the Price a little but not bad plus I had to add in a dvdrw drive for him. Now its up to him. Put it right around 1200 even after shipping on the products and such.
Bwall
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bwall »

I had really good luck out of the Gigabyte myself. 470 FSB with Micron D9's no less!

Oh, skip the Zalman and get the Tuniq Tower from jab-tech. Yeah I know it's not from zzf or newegg or wherever you're ordering everything else from but it's worth the extra few bucks in shipping, trust me!
http://www.jab-tech.com/Tuniq-Tower-120-pr-3593.html :)
JasonE4
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by JasonE4 »

If you have a Microcenter near you, you might be able to get the same CPU for $160.
JasonE4
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by JasonE4 »

Also, if you're overclocking, I'd probably just get a 4300.
SAMSAMHA
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by SAMSAMHA »

if you are planning to have the potential of upgrade to the next gen of intel cpu, go for the 680/650i mobo which supports FSB 1333.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Hiper PSU's aren't bad, I've had a 580 running sence their release without a single problem. I've even passed it down to my son for his main rig around Christmas. I'd opt for the 580 over the 530 just for a little extra security though.

dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

there not as high quality as the Corsair/Seasonics, not as efficient, not built as well, don't have as long of a warranty as Corsair/Seasonic. I don't like the connectors, they offer more resistance than normal connectors.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Personal opinion on looks count for nothing really........... :shock: and as for current drop, it's not enen measureable, I checked, I bet you didn't............ :mrgreen:
And the build quality is just fine, lasts a long time, and for the price differance, well worth it............... :shock:
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

please don't insult my intelligence when it comes to power supplies. It all comes from first hand experience. And yes I did check current drop and yes it is measureable, its twice what the Corsair is, even though its rather insignificant, I measured it in the EE Lab along with a professional.

Fact of the matter is that the Corsair uses better caps, look at the reviews by Jonny. Look at how the efficiency for the Hiper is at best 77%, the Corsair at worse is 77%. Look how the intake and output temps barely change +/- 1 degree on the Corsair and the Hiper changes +-12degress is certain tests. That's the mark of a bad design.

50mv ripple vs 30mv ripple corsair again
more connectors are modular on the corsair

For a PSU that gives 580W of power and only 380W is on the 12V that's bad, especially for future proofing.

Corsair has one fan and its quiet, same can't be said the Hiper

520W on the corsair, 480W is the 12V, and its essentially a single rail PSU.

I suggest you do a little research before you state what you are stating. Its clear by looking here

http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=26
http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=28

For the greater warranty, more efficiency, better build quality, well known brand, I'll take the Corsair
DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaddyRabbit »

I will second the Corsair PSU, 5 year warranty, stable voltages, modular cables, and quiet as a whisper.

There are quite a few people overclocking successfuly with the Gigabyte. IMHO the determining factor should be features and the need for SLI. If you ever plan to SLI then the 650i is the obvious choice.

Cases are subjective things, I like less bling and more quiet (hence the P180B :) ) but that is down to personal preference. I would, however, look for a case with 120mm fans vs, 80mm.

I am preferential to Seagate drives due, in a big part, to the 5 year warranty (even on OEM drives).

EVGA has a great warranty and a 90 day step-up program second to none (just keep the reciept, the box and all materials and pay the price difference in the card to tradeup to the GTX later if desired).

I also would get either a Thermaltake Big Typhoon or Tuniq tower over the Zalman 9700. I have the big Typhoon and so far I like it a lot, whatever you do however ensure that you research the cooler/mb combo you intend to buy to ensure the aftermarket CPU cooler fits that MB!

Have fun with the build...
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Corsair H100 Liquid Cooler
8gig (2x4) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
OCZ Agility 2 240G SSD (boot, programs, games)
WD Caviar Black 1TB (Data)
CM UCP RS700-AAAAA3 700W 80+ Silver PSU
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

Bio-Hazard wrote:Hiper PSU's aren't bad, I've had a 580 running sence their release without a single problem. I've even passed it down to my son for his main rig around Christmas. I'd opt for the 580 over the 530 just for a little extra security though.

I was going to say, i am running one as well and they rock!!!! loloo
werty316
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by werty316 »

If your friend can hold out, wait for Intel's April price cut and then he could get a E6420.

If he doesn't care for SLi, spend the extra cash and get the Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3.

If your firend is gonna overclock I would get these G.Skill sticks instead.

I would also choose another PSU with more wattage.
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

both stick contain the same micron D9MGH
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

so we went with a crappier case than that even but hey whatever everything you mentioned dicecca was added, adn it all got ordered today. We originally were going to get geil 2x1gb ram of the same speed/cas latency but it sold out. What do you think is an acceptable goal for the cnps 9700 and the core 2 duo e6400 on that motherboard the 650i sli asus one or whatever.