pcmservice.exe dell media applications? cyberlink? do I need

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

pcmservice.exe dell media applications? cyberlink? do I need

Post by dgood »

so pmcservice.exe is a dell installed thing all I know is it is taking up nearly 200mb of ram to run and so I turned it off, but I was wondering if I need it and if I can turn it off on start up if thats the case. anyone know exactly what it does?
Last edited by dgood on Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
setscrew
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by setscrew »

Description:
pcmservice.exe is a part of the Dell media experience software. This is a multimedia product, and program is non-essential process to the running of the system, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems.
It will be alright to disable in start-up if you do not need the multi-media features. You can always reenable it.

If you have a further desire to tweak your system, go to the link below.

http://www.codecavalier.com/blackviper/ ... icecfg.htm
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

what features does that enable? anything that makes it worth keeping it enabled? and if using something that needs it will it auto start?
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

If you don't use the "dell media center" crap then you can disable it on start up through MSCONFIG, its DMXlauncher.exe. I have disabled it on all the Dells here at my work, don't need it.

If/when you start the Dell DVD player it will kick on.
Last edited by bubba on Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

exactly what I wanted to know thanks bubba. I figured that was the case but wanted to double check before disabling it on all these comps since they aren't mine 8) . msconfig here we go.