choosing new headphones

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
R3N3G4D3
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

choosing new headphones

Post by R3N3G4D3 »

I'm thinking of buying myself a nice set of headphones, which I could use for listening to music, movies on my pc, and playing games.

To quickly summarize my needs (in case you don't feel like reading the whole thread):
-Need to block as much outside sound as possible (even when I'm not listening to stuff)
-Preferably under or close to $100
-Need to produce good/undistorted sound
-Need to be comfortable
-Best value for the money
-Quality product that will not fall apart in 6 months
-Maybe surround sound (if headphones with surround sound matching above criteria exist)

The reason I want headphones as opposed to speakers is that I hate other background sounds when I'm trying to listen to things. And chances are that the speakers will not shield me from the ambulance sirens and people taking unless I turn them up loud enough for my neighbors to come knocking on my door. I also don't know yet whether I will be living alone after college or with a friend, so I wouldn't want to be competing over speaker volume.

I know headphones aren't as good for sound-quality as speakers are, but the truth is most speakers at homes aren't set up correctly to maximize sound quality anyway (it takes a lot of designing to create theater rooms to maximize sound quality). I also know that the best headphones are usually open since that reduces the internal resonance of sound. However, since one of my goals is to block as much outside sound as possible, I'm thinking of going for closed, and circumaural ones (I want it to be quiet enough even when I'm not listening to anything), then I will not have to crank up the volume to maximum and screw up my hearing just to minimize the effect of outside sound/music).

I'm looking for something under $100, and as far as I know surround sound headphones start at $300 or more so I guess I'm out of luck on surround sound. However, I would still like to make the best of the money spent. I want headphones that can play sound without distorting it, I've had times in the past when I was watching a movie on my PC and couldn't tell what the people were saying.

I have also heard that a lot of active-noise canceling headphones create a constant buzz on the background that interferes with sound quality, so I would like some input from people who have tried them.

One pair of headphones I found that seem to be matching most of my criteria are Sennheiser HD280 Pro, however I'm still trying to decide whether they're the right ones. I would appreciate any tips/suggestions or headphone recommendations.
road
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

heres a few

Post by road »

http://www.epinions.com/Sennheiser_HD_2 ... full_specs

Those are the top rated in this list:
http://www1.epinions.com/Headphones/min ... headphones

Sennheiser seems to be one I constantly see getting a lot of praise.
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

you can find the Shure E2C's for <$100 and they are awesome. I have a pair. The Etymotic ER6i's can be had for <$100 and they are supposed to be just as good (never tried 'em myself).
Joe
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

you can always check up on my review...

http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopic.php?t=7348
moon111
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by moon111 »

I know this probably isn't what you're after, but I found an Altec Lansing headset at the local Zeller's department store. I've been very happy with the set. I'd give up in other areas though to get wireless.
Digital Puppy

Post by Digital Puppy »

Definately look at the Sennheiser sets. You said you wanted a headphone right, not a headset and mic...if you were looking for a headset/mic combo, be sure to check out Plantronics line of gear since they have really good microphone quality.

Just my $0.02.
Just a little puppy trying to make it in a big digital world.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

I use the sony mdr-v600, love them can't hear a thing from the outside world when I ware them, and in the winter the can keep your ears toasty too. going on 9 years on my second pair, first pair had a dramatic end when a 2yo got a hold of them.
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

headphones

Post by Darkstar »

I also like the Sennheiser headphones, I buy them for the users at work and i have heard alot of praise over them, and no complaints.
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
R3N3G4D3
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by R3N3G4D3 »

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have looked around for the reviews of the headphones you mentioned, decided to go with Sennheiser's HD280 after all, a lot of people seem to like them.