New systems, Low benchmark or not? 3dMark?

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Kingtal0n
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

New systems, Low benchmark or not? 3dMark?

Post by Kingtal0n »

I ran 3Dmark on this system I just put together.
Its got a PC chips mobo w/ onboard Geforce 6100 Nforce 400
1GB Corsair XMS 5-5-5-15
AMD X2 3800+ Socket AM2

I got like 610 marks (not sure what it means exactly)

Is that average for this system? seemed low, but I Dont know. If its really low I am guessing I've got a driver issue, I havnt updated bios or flashed anything yet.
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

what 3dmark version 01, 03, 05 or 06?
Kingtal0n
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Kingtal0n »

Oh sorry didnt think it mattered, it was 05 i think.

The system I built AFTER it is the one Im on now, I was going to use 3dMark 06 on it, but if they vary results ill stick to 05 i guess?

The one Im typing this on is a lot different of a computer, i built 2 at the same time.
frosty22
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by frosty22 »

I'm downloading 05 right now, and we'll compare results.
Kingtal0n
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Kingtal0n »

Well why dont you tell me what everyone likes to use to benchmark their systems, that can give me memory voltages and timings, and little things like that, system temp, and overall benchmarks I really dont know what to use for these things.

Also, Is it safe or even smart to use this program "Ai Booster" It came with the mother board, it allows you to adjust memory voltage and overclock the CPU (and FSB i think) from within windows.

And what are normal temps for the CPU? I see 35*C when its sitting and 40*C when im installing crap, browsing, playing music all at once. Havnt got a game installed just yet, just got done putting it together this morning.
frosty22
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by frosty22 »

Kingtal0n wrote:Well why dont you tell me what everyone likes to use to benchmark their systems, that can give me memory voltages and timings, and little things like that, system temp, and overall benchmarks I really dont know what to use for these things.

Also, Is it safe or even smart to use this program "Ai Booster" It came with the mother board, it allows you to adjust memory voltage and overclock the CPU (and FSB i think) from within windows.

And what are normal temps for the CPU? I see 35*C when its sitting and 40*C when im installing crap, browsing, playing music all at once. Havnt got a game installed just yet, just got done putting it together this morning.
I think 3Dmark is the most popular. I like 03. CPUz is a nice tool. Sandra is another one. the utility that comes on your ASUS cd is as good as any for monitoring the voltages ect.

AIbooster is for ASUS, I believe. Yes it's safe on these newer boards. It will just reboot on you if it doesn't like a setting. Most serious overclockers use the bios, but I've never had the patience.

I try to keep my cpu's at 55c or lower at full load, so that is a nice temp you have there.
Kingtal0n
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Kingtal0n »

Sandra benchmark thing works pretty good, this computer is doing good.

Only thing is it just told me my mother board was nearly 100*C. I touched the Mobo in several places and if anything its room temp, where is the sensor for mainboard temp located? even the northbridge (i think) with the heat sink on it is barely warm.
frosty22
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by frosty22 »

Another good one is speedfan. it's a free d/l.

Those were some pretty cool videos. I got a 6278.
But I have a pretty nice system.
Quad core QX6700
EVGA 680i SLI M/B
GeForce 7600gt vid card
2 Gigs of Corsair ram.

I wouldn't put too much bank in benchmarks. As long as it's fast in real life and your happy with it, it's a good system. :)
frosty22
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by frosty22 »

Kingtal0n wrote:Sandra benchmark thing works pretty good, this computer is doing good.

Only thing is it just told me my mother board was nearly 100*C. I touched the Mobo in several places and if anything its room temp, where is the sensor for mainboard temp located? even the northbridge (i think) with the heat sink on it is barely warm.
That sounds like a false reading to me. I wouldn't worry. You would of burnt your finger on something at that temp.
Kingtal0n
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Kingtal0n »

Im going to 3D mark this system next, its almost the same, SLI M2N mobo w/ 2GB corsair XMS 4-4-4-12 T2, AMD X2 4600+, Geforce 7600, it should do decent I would think.

3Dmark is still downloading 80% done atm.

This computer is on a network with another computer, why cant I see it on my network through network connections when my other computers can see each other. I must be missing something.
frosty22
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by frosty22 »

Did you turn off windows firewall?
Kingtal0n
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Kingtal0n »

It suddenly for no reason started working.

I 3dMarked this computer but used 3Dmark 06, which I guess is harder than 05, and got 3500marks or whatever, but i was above 50% of the other users so I guess thats not bad for 06. Ill get 05 and try it again. I had to run to work (where I am now) so I cant do anything else for a few hours.

In the mean time, i need to setup my system to where its supposed to be.
For instance right now the memory is 1.8V 5-5-5-18 when it should be 2V 4-4-4-12, after i change that what else should i be changing? the FSB or multiplier or something?