Seagate 500GB SSHD Thin Hybrid Drive Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Hard drives with solid state cache storage, also known as hybrid drives, have been around for awhile. They are popular with laptop users but until now, those that have equipment designed to work only with 7mm high drives have been out of luck. Seagate's latest SSHD has been redesigned to a smaller, 7mm form factor as well as improved performance. See how it compares to the previous generation Momentus XT drive.

Article Title: Seagate 500GB SSHD Thin Hybrid Drive Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2160/1/
Pricing At Time of Print: $83.71 Shipped
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Seagate 500GB SSHD Thin Hybrid Drive Review

Post by sbohdan »

Since they first appeared, I've never cared for the hybrids. Their performance is about the same as non-hybrid HDD's and HDD's I only use for storage. With all the laptops in my family, the first thing I did was throw out the HDD and replace it with an SSD. for a little more than this hybrid, you can get a nice 128GB SSD and if you want more sytorage, just get an external drive, or get a docking station and 2GB+ HDD and off you go! I even prefer, to get a 60GB SSD in a laptop, than 1TB HDD. Hybrids? No thanks - just a gimmick in my opinion. BTW, I just bought a 1TB HDD for storage, that has over 200Mb/s read/write speed for $15 more than this hybrid. I will take that any time over this, even though it is bigger and heavier (3.5"). Other than that, it was a nice review. Proved again, how useless are the hybrid drives, to all those, who were not sure :rolleyes:
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
FZ1

Re: Seagate 500GB SSHD Thin Hybrid Drive Review

Post by FZ1 »

The situation where they make the most sense is on a laptop that's limited to 1 drive and the user needs 500GB+ of space because of all their media files, apps, etc. Very few can afford to shell out for a 480GB SSD. As I mention in the article, if they bump the spindle speed and up the NAND on board, it could be a better drive although it would draw more power. Given the choice between the 2, I'd bump the SSD capacity on the drive to cache more stuff.
Joe