EVGA GeForce GTX 970 Hybrid Gaming Video Card Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

EVGA GeForce GTX 970 Hybrid Gaming Video Card Review

Post by Apoptosis » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:06 pm

It's hard to believe that the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 is still a viable cutting edge graphics card today as it first debuted along with the GeForce GTX 980 in September 2014! Over the past 1.5 years the GeForce GTX 970 has become a very popular card for 1080P gaming as it features a competitive price point and you can more times than not get 60 FPS on average with the image quality cranked up in game titles. The add-in board (AIB) partners have continued to release new GeForce GTX 970 video cards over the years and just before 2015 ended our friends over at EVGA announced that the EVGA HYBRID line was being expanded to include GeForce GTX 970. This is great news for those that are concerned about GPU temperatures as you can now buy purchase a GTX 970 that features a maintenance free closed loop ‘all in one’ water cooling solution that significantly lowers the GPU operating temperature.

Article Title: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 Hybrid Gaming Video Card Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/evga-geforc ... iew_178872
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!

KnightRid

Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 Hybrid Gaming Video Card Review

Post by KnightRid » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:34 am

So the - EVGA GeForce GTX 980 04G-P4-2983-KR 4GB SC GAMING w/ACX 2.0, 26% Cooler and 36% Quieter Cooling Graphics Card - is $480 right now from newegg and amazon so would it be more worthwhile to spend the extra $80 or is the standard 980 not that much better?
Cigar Blog I review for - http://www.stogiereview.com

Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:

Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:41 am

KnightRid wrote:So the - EVGA GeForce GTX 980 04G-P4-2983-KR 4GB SC GAMING w/ACX 2.0, 26% Cooler and 36% Quieter Cooling Graphics Card - is $480 right now from newegg and amazon so would it be more worthwhile to spend the extra $80 or is the standard 980 not that much better?
If I had to buy a card today and I wanted to buy a card from EVGA...

I'd get the EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC Gaming at $324.99 shipped and overclock it if I gamed at 1080P or did light 1440P gaming. I just don't think the GTX 980 is worth $155 more than that card. We all know that Maxwell is about EOL, so to invest $500 on a high-end card just months before Pascal is expected to come out is a bit much unless you have some cash to burn. Rumors right now have the first Pascal cards coming out in April (the big NVIDAI GP100 GPU to replace the Titan X) and then a GTX 1080 card with the GP104 GPU in June (to replace the 980). That rumor is pretty weak though and based off what sites like this one are saying. NVIDIA hasn't said anything to us about Pascal just yet.

I have the reference clocked NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 card in my charts. The EVGA model you are looking at is clocked 12% higher, so you can expect to see around 10% performance gains over the model I have.

Follow Me on Twitter!

KnightRid

Post by KnightRid » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:25 am

I am just outside the market for a new GPU as my gtx660 is getting a bit long in the tooth (still plays everything I have thrown at it but some I have to lower the graphics) and was turned off by the 970 reports of the memory fiasco for a while. Maybe I will hold out till we hear word of Pascal (my lord I learned Pascal when I was in high school...I am so old) and see what the price/performance is and what it does to the pricing on the 970 and 980 line.

That $325 price point is pretty good but would love to see it drop cause I am cheap :lol:

Thanx Nate!

Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:

Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:59 am

KnightRid wrote:I am just outside the market for a new GPU as my gtx660 is getting a bit long in the tooth (still plays everything I have thrown at it but some I have to lower the graphics) and was turned off by the 970 reports of the memory fiasco for a while. Maybe I will hold out till we hear word of Pascal (my lord I learned Pascal when I was in high school...I am so old) and see what the price/performance is and what it does to the pricing on the 970 and 980 line.

That $325 price point is pretty good but would love to see it drop cause I am cheap :lol:

Thanx Nate!
Spending $300+ on a video card isn't cheap by any means! The gamer 'sweet spot' for NVIDIA and AMD is the coveted $199 price point, so you are well beyond that!

I'd personally wait until Pascal and Polaris as they will be one heck of an upgrade for your GTX 660.
Follow Me on Twitter!

KnightRid

Post by KnightRid » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:31 am

Apoptosis wrote:I'd personally wait until Pascal and Polaris as they will be one heck of an upgrade for your GTX 660.
drops the mic

lol - thanx man, I cant wait to see some numbers on them.

Bidmead121
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Bidmead121 » Thu May 23, 2019 10:30 pm

The GeForce GTX 970 is powered by NVIDIA's GM204 'Maxwell' GPU that features 13 Streaming Multiprocessors (SMMs) that have a combined 1664 CUDA cores, 104 Texture Units and 56 ROPs. The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 reference card was released with a 1050 MHz base and 1178 MHz typical GPU Boost rate walgreenslistens