2GB Corsair 1800MHz DOMINATOR CL7 DDR3 Memory Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

The 1800MHz DOMINATOR CAS latency 7 memory kit was designed to be the ultimate over-clocking DDR3 solution from Corsair and Legit Reviews puts that claim to the test using the latest computer hardware to find the limits of this DDR3 memory kit. Corsair is using the latest memory ICs from Micron and have been able to pull off 7-7-7-20 timings at 1800MHz, which shows the true performance potential of DDR3 memory. Read on to see if this kit is right for you.

"The Corsair TWIN3X2048-1800C7DF G DDR3 1800MHz CAS 7 DOMINATOR with Airflow Fan memory kit is a dream come true for enthusiasts worldwide as it will eliminate the system memory from being a performance bottleneck on todays cutting edge DDR3 platforms. With the Intel X38 Express chipset coming out sometime in September 2007 one can only hope for even better DDR3 memory performance as Intel originally designed the X38 Express chipset for DDR3 memory..."
Article Title: 2GB Corsair 1800MHz DOMINATOR CL7 DDR3 Memory Review
Article URL: http://legitreviews.com/article/539/1/
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: 2GB Corsair 1800MHz DOMINATOR CL7 DDR3 Memory Review

Post by Major_A »

Holy shnikes that's a lot of money for some RAM. For the price of that RAM I can build an entire computer with a monitor and printer! Fast RAM is not on my high list of priorities when I build a system. If I get to a brick wall with the RAM it's time to hit a divider. It seems to me in real world applications RAM speed doesn't mean a whole lot.
jodiuh
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by jodiuh »

A bargain?! LMFAO! For $120, one can get 2GB of RAM @ 800Mhz and use the other $350 for an 8800GTS 640 to get a very real improvement in gaming. Or the money could be spent on a better cpu. Why do review sites bother to test these parts that less than 1% of anyone w/ a sound mind would ever consider purchasing? On that note, why even bother testing RAM @ all? 2GB of any speed does what 90% of what we need.

Sorry to vent so much, it's not just legit, it's [H], Anand, Tom's, all of them...it's like seeing a round up of 8800's...ugh.
maximus hero
msi 780ti TF4
16GB
an ssd
a loud mechanical
a DX
a keyboard
a mouse
3 ips monitors
too many headphones
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Well, like you noted a very small percentage of enthusiasts are using DDR3 parts, but some are and that is who this review is aimed at. I know numerous people that build systems without a budget and for those that are lucky enough to be in this situation they are looking at numerous DDR3 memory kits.

The Kingston Ultra Low-Latency 1375MHz CL5 memory kit can be bought direct for $800
The Corsair DOMINATOR 1800MHz CL7 memory kit runs $645

In a sense being $155 less expensive is cost savings be it a bargain or whatever you'd like to personally call it. The same thing happened a few years ago when I started reviewing DDR2 memory modules... They were all close to $1000 and people said why review it.... Looking back on it why wouldn't we as that's why we are a review site...

All the memory companies are pushing DDR3 and wanting us to review their kits... I haven't been offered a DDR2 kit in months!
jodiuh
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by jodiuh »

I suppose it's like Intel pushing SATA opticals then, eh?
maximus hero
msi 780ti TF4
16GB
an ssd
a loud mechanical
a DX
a keyboard
a mouse
3 ips monitors
too many headphones
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

lol... nah actually Intel has never contacted me and said a word about DDR3... even at IDF and Computex in Taiwan when I had briefings with their engineers they didn't mention or push it. They rather just mentioned it will be on the X38.
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

Interesting, still can't wait to see some sick benchmarks on a CPU with integrated memory controller... coughAM3cough 8)