The Antec NeoPower 480 Modular PSU

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

If you are going to stick with air on that Pressie I would highly recommend the Thermalright SP-94, best P4 cooler out there, slap a Panaflo 92mm fan on there and I'd be willing to bet you'd see a 5C drop in your temps. another thing you can try is one of those Chill-Vents, haven't personally used one of those, but have read and heard great things about them.
I had the Zalman cooler, thought it was adequate until i tried the Thermalright HS, after using that, it would really take something to make me switch.
ianthompson
Legit User
Legit User

Post by ianthompson »

It's interesting, isn't it....I reckon the SP-94 looks really good and wish I'd known about it earlier.

Zalman CNPS7000-Cu P4 HSF claim 0.20 deg/W at full noise (still pretty quiet) - 0.22 at nearly silent, whereas a reference link (testimonial) from where I purchased it suggests test figures are not quite that good - more like 0.26 deg/W.

Overclockers test show the Thermalright SP-94 ranges 0.25 - 0.13 deg/W low noise to very high noise (using only an 80 mm fan) - perhaps a little bit worse for cooling at the quiet end, but much, much better at the noisy end. Zalman claim 18 - 27.5 dB-A, very quiet at 3 feet, overclockers say the SP-94 rates as perhaps objectionably LOUD at the higher speeds (70 dB at 8" vs perhaps 42 dB at 6" for the Zalman ????).

So, I think your 5 C drop for the 100W+ Pressie is very conservative and I wouldn't be willing to bet against that! (e.g. 13C rise vs 20 or 26C rise = 7-13 deg cooler). But whilst the 92mm fan would be quieter, I don't know how to compare the 2 for cooling at equivalent noise - obviously the SP-94 cools much better, but I suspect the Zalman will be always quieter, even when both are turned down at idle.

So then I suppose it comes down to a preference.....
Prescott, Corsair 2-2-2-5 Dual DDR, Seagate Barracuda, SATA, RAID 0