Gigabyte 3D Cooler Pro @ Legit Reviews

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Gigabyte 3D Cooler Pro @ Legit Reviews

Post by Illuminati »

Today we posted a quick and dirty review Gigabyte's new 3D Cooler Pro! Here's a blurb and the link:

"We have the opportunity to look a product that is not only new, but also is a new venture for the company that has developed it. Gigabyte has long been known for quality motherboards and video cards, but ask anyone if they have a Gigabyte CPU HSF and most would look at you with a puzzled look. Hopefully it will not be that way very much longer. Today we introduce to you the new Gigabyte 3D Cooler Pro HSF."

http://www.legitreviews.com/Reviews/gig ... ro_1.shtml
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
grumblemarc
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Missing details

Post by grumblemarc »

A small one actually. The reviewer NEVER indicated what RPM he set the cooler to during his stress tests. A very important fact to omit espeically when the fan can reach 4200+. I happen to own one of these and my temps are similar to those in the tests with the fan runing at the max RPM. The fan is also VERY loud. Louder in fact than my old Dragon Orb 3 @7000RPM. The graph the tester used was also incorrect as it stated that higher scores (temps) was better. If that was true then the Zalmann would have lost to the Gigabyte. Although other test comparisons I have seen including these 2 coolers has the Gigabyte outperforming the Zalmann and on par with some Thermalright products (The reason I bought it). Also it would have been nice to see the totaql system specs including case and number of cooling fans. Different CPU's tested would have been nice too. :D
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Very good points! Jason spit out some of those RPM's!

I'm sure Jason will let you know.
pastorjay
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: Missing details

Post by pastorjay »

grumblemarc wrote:A small one actually. The reviewer NEVER indicated what RPM he set the cooler to during his stress tests. A very important fact to omit espeically when the fan can reach 4200+. I happen to own one of these and my temps are similar to those in the tests with the fan runing at the max RPM. The fan is also VERY loud. Louder in fact than my old Dragon Orb 3 @7000RPM. The graph the tester used was also incorrect as it stated that higher scores (temps) was better. If that was true then the Zalmann would have lost to the Gigabyte. Although other test comparisons I have seen including these 2 coolers has the Gigabyte outperforming the Zalmann and on par with some Thermalright products (The reason I bought it). Also it would have been nice to see the totaql system specs including case and number of cooling fans. Different CPU's tested would have been nice too. :D
RPM's - It does say in the review (and I should ahve been more specific, but it is there) that the temps were done on the lowest speed for the very first test. Right under that picture it says that the fan was then set to full speed and tested against the Zalman.

Sorry about the mistake on the "Higher is better" statements on teh graph. I overlooked that when I borrowed a graph from a different test to convert for these tests. My Bad!

My rig is cooled by 2 80mm case fans, one in back and one in front. These are two low speed panaflos that I have. I am not sure of rms at the moment, but they are quiet.

I also have on Panaflo on a Zalman bracket that blows down on the memory. I keep my house fairly cool all year long.

PJ
Channelsurfer
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Channelsurfer »

I use a Gigabyte motherboard, the k8vnxp, and I also use cool and quiet.

This as you likely know, changes the voltage to the cpu and adjusts fan speeds to match lower/higher temperatures.

For this to work properly, the heatsink fan would have to be plugged into the motherboard cpu fan header.

With your review, and others on the web, I have never read if this connection method was tested.

Design wise, I am impressed with the approach borrowed from split air-conditioning design... the 3d cooler resembles an outdoor unti in a residential split system.
neopark
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

mother board montior fan settings for cooler pro

Post by neopark »

hey what are the fan settings in mbm 5 for this thing
cause i cant figure out what fan type or divider for gigabyte cooler pro,
but this heatsink does rock i have a 2400 athlon xp running at 2.0ghz and its pretty cool now, the thermaltake i had before was running my chip hot as hell. here are my specs' for what i am running:

OS:WINDOWS 2003 SERVER ENTERPRISE EDITION 5.2 BUILD 3490
BOARD:ECS "ELITE GROUP" MOTHERBOARD
CHIP:AMD "THORTON" 2400+ 2.0GHZ ALTHLON XP 400MHZ FSB
h/s: GIGABYTE COOLER PRO HEATSINK W/ BLUE LEDS
RAM:512MB (2) X 256MB
SUPER TALENT 256MB DDR PC-3200 W/ HEATSINK
GEIL 256MB DDR PC-3200 W/ HEATSINK
DRIVES: 200GB SEAGATE & 120GB ide 8mb buffers 7200rpm
CD-ROM: 52X BTC CD BURNER
8X SONY DVD-R
VIDEO: NVIDIA GEFORCE 3 Ti/200 128MB DDR AGP
SOUND: M-AUDIO DELTA AUDIOPHILE 2496 4 IN/OUT