XFX nForce 780i SLI Motherboard Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

This week NVIDIA introduced the company's next-generation NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI media and communications processor (MCP), designed specifically for 1333FSB Intel QX9650 (Yorkfield) processors. The new nForce 780i SLI MCP brings support for 45nm quad-core processors, PCI Express Gen 2.0. 1200MHz DDR2 memory and more. Read on to see how the board performs with the latest in hardware technology!

To improve the time to market for this motherboard series, NVIDIA opted to use an NVIDIA nForce 200 chipset to add the new features of the board. Traditional motherboards have two chipsets on them: a north bridge, which Nvidia calls a System Platform Processor (SPP), and the south bridge, which Nvidia calls the Media Communications Processor (MCP). The NVIDIA 780i motherboard has a third chipset on it now, which is the nForce 200. The nForce 200 connects directly to the north bridge and adds 32 lanes of PCIe 2.0 connectivity that can be split evenly between a pair of physical x16 slots. There are not enough lanes for three physical x16 PCI Express 2.0 slots, so the thrid lane goes directly through the nForce 780i SLI MCP. Of the 62 PCIe lanes, 32 are PCI Express 2.0 and they are all thanks to the nForce 200 chipset. This isn't the best way to implement 3-way SLI support, but it works.
Article Title: XFX nForce 780i SLI Motherboard Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/616/1/
FZ1

Re: XFX nForce 780i SLI Motherboard Review

Post by FZ1 »

No eSATA? I don't know why all new boards don't have this. Sounds like a perfromer though!
Joe
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

FZ1 wrote:No eSATA? I don't know what all new boards don't have this. Sounds like a perfromer though!
keyword new...

This is a 680i northbridge with a 570 SLI southbridge... The bridge chip is the newest feature :)
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

It's still new (I consider the 680' "new")...it's not like eSATA came out last month or something.
Joe
pastorjay
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by pastorjay »

Good thing it overclocks so well, otherwise it would not need a second look...
JustSomeone
Legit User
Legit User

Post by JustSomeone »

Yeah...I know this thread is old, but did you guys ever run into any type of video corruption on this board? This thread on the EVGA forum has blown up, and there are folks chiming in from all manufacturers with the same problem. 780i, 750i, even the 790i boards...

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=253 ... y=&#253891

It's a problem that has FINALLY gotten Nvidia's attention (supposedly there is a fix coming soon)...just wondering if your test units (or any you are currently running) have been plagued by this crap. Both of my 780i boards have been...