Pentium M on your Socket 478 platform

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
lioninstreet
Legit User
Legit User

Post by lioninstreet »

Anyone tried to use the M adapter on another brand board?
Intel 3.4C Gigabyte 8knxp/U 3G Corsair pc3500c2pt 15k Fujitsu drives SCSI/RAID 0 AIWx800xt 24" Sony
mosspalmer
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by mosspalmer »

adamhearn wrote:
Evilsizer wrote:not sure what to tell you since im using the p4pse and 730 without any problems. i would recommend heading over to xtreme. there are many more people with diferent setups the could help you out better then me. there are also so many dothan(PM)thread if you have the time read them all you might be able to fix it. if not post the problems you have having. there are 2 dothan stickies @top of the page in my linky below so start with those first and GL. getting it running correctly. :drinkers:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/for ... y.php?f=59
Thx for the tip. It would seem that a 6x multiplier is 'normal' for this version of the P4C800-E BIOS - I hope ASUS will either fit it or add the option to select a specific multiplier. I have downloaded the ESIT tool and the CPU is really quick at 2Ghz!
What is this ESIT tool that you talk of? I have recently purchased a pm 750 and the ct 479 and mine also shows up as 800Mhz (6x 133), I cannot seem to do anything about it, i have trawled the net for answer but, suffice to say, cannot. I am hoping you, or someone else can help me with this :(

I have the latest BIOS from asus 1023 but that doesn't help :(
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

http://www.cpuid.org/download/eist.zip

Click the above link to download EIST to help you change the multi and FSB.
mosspalmer
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by mosspalmer »

Apoptosis wrote:http://www.cpuid.org/download/eist.zip

Click the above link to download EIST to help you change the multi and FSB.
thank you for the help, i now see why all my searches were failing esit vs eist, grr. i don't suppose you know why when i attempt to set my multiplier with this it has no effect? i don't see an option in the bios of my p4c800 e deluxe for eist...

i can't believe that my combo (p4c800 e deluxe & pm 750) doesn't work anyway :(

thank you again for the help. i will be tinkering for a while now i think.
adamhearn
Legit User
Legit User

Post by adamhearn »

For a 533Mhz FSB Pentium M you'll need the latest BIOS (1023) for the P4C800E-Deluxe motherboard for you to be able to set the CPU multiplier in the BIOS.

I guess this'll be the very last BIOS for this motherboard as it fully supports the CT-479 without issue :) I run my system with a 200Mhz FSB, PAT enabled and a CPU multiplier of 10x (giving me the same CPU speed as before - 2Ghz, I was previously at 133Mhz FSB and 15x multiplier). System is very stable and has a lot of overclocking headroom for when I need to (ran it at 13x for an extended period with no issues). Mind you for most tasks I downclock - using EIST via command line - so I use less power :)
rhino56
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by rhino56 »

im running a 750 right now and gonna put it on water cooling as soon as i get a heatspreader
uclajd
Legit User
Legit User

Post by uclajd »

So what's the latest on those using P-M's?

I sold mine after I fried my mobo. And when I say fried, I mean smoke was coming out of the N/B and it made a fried bacon sound. :(
Noob? How many noobs you know with a dual-cascade? :D
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

i'm actually thinking of selling my setup. i feel like it's time to move on.
adamhearn
Legit User
Legit User

Post by adamhearn »

Move on, to what exactly?!? Since the P-M came to town there's not been anything much that is *enough* of a step up to notice the difference?

I've recently got a new machine at work... dual Xeon 3Ghz (2MB cache unit). It's fast (although not really *enough* as to say 'wow') and being a Dell it's very quiet but my god does it heat the room :(

My Pentium M-760 in P4C800-E mobo is most likely the best PC setup I've ever purchased. It's pretty quiet (stock CPU cooler and stock cooler on my GF6600GT) but very quick and totally reliable :) A recent LAN session lasted for 15 hours with games non stop and my machine never broke a sweat :)
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

i've got a p-m 760 in a p4gd1 and it's got an x850xt pe (pci-e)... i kinda wanna go with an amd... i might be saving up for an amd system with sli or something... i dunno....
DoubleE
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by DoubleE »

I fried my old 2.6c :oops: and bought the ct-479 and a PM750 after reading about the awsome performance scores, kinda magical figures...

I used a Vapochill Micro in the earlier setup and would still like to make use of it, does anyone have any hints if it's possible to fit it on a ct?

Please be gentle as this is my virgin post...
P4P800E-DLX, PM750, Crucial 3200C2 2GB
Gigabyte X800XL
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

i think you gotta remove the big plastic 478 heatsink-holder clip thingie on the motherboard and use the screw method