Coolit Domino A.L.C. Water Cooler Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: Coolit Domino A.L.C. Water Cooler Review

Post by XstollieX »

I have been thinking about getting one of these, or building a loop. How are the hoses fastened on? Are they crimped on? Curious as to how hard it would be to change them
ColdPlay
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by ColdPlay »

oOoOO fantastic, just fantastic! And such a low price!
That answered my latest question,( which cooling to chose, another topic) if its compatible with the am3 socket that is???

Thanks again, I'm so lucky I found this sight! :)
In GRAW2 : stand still and "I will try to 'fix' you" ;-)
stopthekilling77
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stopthekilling77 »

ColdPlay wrote:oOoOO fantastic, just fantastic! And such a low price!
That answered my latest question,( which cooling to chose, another topic) if its compatible with the am3 socket that is???

Thanks again, I'm so lucky I found this sight! :)
If you're able to swing it, I'd think this one would be more of the beefy cooling solution you'd need http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835103056

Gotta keep that x4 nice and cool ;)
Cyberpower generic case
B450M PRO-VDH MAX
Ryzen 5 3600 w/PBO/OC
CM Hyper 212 EVO push/pull
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
MSI RTX 3060 Ti Ventus 3X 8G OC LHR
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
6GB Seagate HDD
EVGA 650BQ 650W PSU
ASUS VE278 27" monitor, Dell E2216HV (vertical)
Logitech Z533 2.1 Speakers, G935 7.1 or G435 headset
MS LXM-00001 keyboard
Razer Deathadder Elite, XBOX One Lunar Shift controller

I've come a long way from my original Core2Duo E6750 build y'all! :supz:
ColdPlay
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by ColdPlay »

If you're able to swing it, I'd think this one would be more of the beefy cooling solution you'd need http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835103056

Gotta keep that x4 nice and cool ;)[/quote]

Yeah, that'sa beasty one, a little more expensive though.
I guess I'll have to choose an aftermarket cooler to be able to overclock, but that will have to wait I'm afraid.
Budget and stuff, redecorating the house... thanks anyway!
In GRAW2 : stand still and "I will try to 'fix' you" ;-)
Cannyone
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Cannyone »

Guys How loud is the Domino when the fan is on high? As I said in another thread, I'll be putting it in a HAF 932 case. And the fans in that are whisper quiet (a fact that I am rapidly getting used to! :) ). So I'm hesitant to get something that will be "loud"... though honestly I guess I have to admit to hearing damage. And I have to wear headphones because family members, don't like game noises, or my music tastes. But still I like being able to pull of the headphones off ... and just hear the air conditioner and the "ringing" in my ears.
Intel Core i7 4820K @ 4 GHz | Asus Rampage IV Formula | 16GB Patriot DDR3-1866 | Asus Poseidon GTX 780 water cooled... (other stuff too <- 500 char limit!)
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Wait until the end of the month and see how Corsair's new solution will perform.
http://www.corsair.com/products/h50/default.aspx
UPDATE: Corsair is telling me now that the H50 cooling system will be available at the end of June with an MSRP somewhere around the $80 mark making it a GREAT option to compete against high-end air coolers.
Source: http://www.pcper.com/comments.php?nid=7252
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

yeah, I posted the same here on June 1st - http://www.legitreviews.com/news/6007/

Corsair says it performs 4-5C better than the CoolIT Domino and also out performs some of the Noctua and Thermaltake high-end coolers... Not bad for $79 and we are getting one in real soon. Right now only two sites have one and they are prototypes.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

So what are your initial thoughts on the setup? Did LR do a review of the Swiftech H20-120 Compact? It would be nice to be able to compare the two since they are essentially the same thing.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

As with anything I want to see the final product...

Legit Reviews has a long and proud track record of getting things fixed... Using just Corsair as an example and just water cooling to be more specific...

In 2009 just after the Hydro H30 water cooling block was released LR found that the block was being put together wrong by the manufacturer - http://forums.legitreviews.com/about21194.html#p145040

Action by Corsair - Pull all products from the shelves and send them back to China to be re-done. Turns out they used too much flux and not nearly enough solder.

In 2006, we were one of the very first sites to review the Corsair Nautilus 500 and found the carpeting glue wasn't sticking, the wiring was a mess, and the water level gauge could not be read - http://forums.legitreviews.com/about4713.html

Action by Corsair - Pull all products from the shelves and improve the internals by changing glue, adding an LED light to the water tank to see the water level and cleaning up the wiring.

Over the past 7 years we've had close to a hundred products pulled off shelves or delayed due to our comments. We don't just review products here, give crap awards to kiss ass and then move on to the next product. We actually try to get them made better and usually when changes are made it adds nothing to the cost of the product as it is already set. The prototype coolers that Corsair sent out (all two of them) are not the same as the final production models. I can't give my thoughts on it till I get it in my hands.
Follow Me on Twitter!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I would like to say thank you. Because of your work you are making the products that I buy better. I haven't seen a review of the H50 on any website. Like anything it probably won't be indicative of the final product.
Cannyone
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Cannyone »

In relation to the Domino ALC I found this review at NewEgg:
"Pros: The unit performed admirably, My Q9550 idled at 28c would rise to about 34-36 under heavy load. I have a full tower so install was easy and took about 30 minutes. Fired up the Computer and I was good to go.
However......3 weeks later.....(see cons)

Cons: When I first received the unit I noticed that the fittings were all plastic. They seemed sturdy and did not believe that a unit with such overall good reviews would be shipping with sub par materials. After three weeks the units alarm indicated a problem with the cooler. I opened the case only to find the coolant pouring into my video card. That was the end of my EVGA-260. After removing I could see that the hose and fitting going into the radiator had actually become quite brittle and broke. There was no stress on the hoses or fittings, they simply broke. After reading the warranty info..CoolIt does not cover any damage to other hardware even though it was a flaw with the unit. I left 2 messages at CoolIt customer support, I have yet to hear back from them. I was happy with the units performance up until it failed.

Other Thoughts: The fittings should be metal. If you look at the pics you can see that the fittings almost look like heat shrink material holding the hoses in place. With the money I had to eat for I could have purchased a quality water cooler.

BTW: This unit was not purchased from NewEgg, It was not available at the time. I am a frequent NewEgg Customer but decided to tell all about my loss"

Now I don't really know if this is true! But I have to say that it does seem pretty legit to me... Can those of you, who have seen the Domino ALC, give us some feedback on if you think this is possible?
Intel Core i7 4820K @ 4 GHz | Asus Rampage IV Formula | 16GB Patriot DDR3-1866 | Asus Poseidon GTX 780 water cooled... (other stuff too <- 500 char limit!)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Cannyone wrote:In relation to the Domino ALC I found this review at NewEgg:
"Pros: The unit performed admirably, My Q9550 idled at 28c would rise to about 34-36 under heavy load. I have a full tower so install was easy and took about 30 minutes. Fired up the Computer and I was good to go.
However......3 weeks later.....(see cons)

Cons: When I first received the unit I noticed that the fittings were all plastic. They seemed sturdy and did not believe that a unit with such overall good reviews would be shipping with sub par materials. After three weeks the units alarm indicated a problem with the cooler. I opened the case only to find the coolant pouring into my video card. That was the end of my EVGA-260. After removing I could see that the hose and fitting going into the radiator had actually become quite brittle and broke. There was no stress on the hoses or fittings, they simply broke. After reading the warranty info..CoolIt does not cover any damage to other hardware even though it was a flaw with the unit. I left 2 messages at CoolIt customer support, I have yet to hear back from them. I was happy with the units performance up until it failed.

Other Thoughts: The fittings should be metal. If you look at the pics you can see that the fittings almost look like heat shrink material holding the hoses in place. With the money I had to eat for I could have purchased a quality water cooler.

BTW: This unit was not purchased from NewEgg, It was not available at the time. I am a frequent NewEgg Customer but decided to tell all about my loss"

Now I don't really know if this is true! But I have to say that it does seem pretty legit to me... Can those of you, who have seen the Domino ALC, give us some feedback on if you think this is possible?

See the problem here - http://forums.legitreviews.com/about19279.html#p135156

When these units were designed they were done so with a price point in mind... Making a $79 water cooler and having a profit margin in that ASP is extremely tough to do. The Domino uses a number of plastic fittings that will obviously be the weak link during its lifespan. By not using metal they save costs on both the manufacturing end and the shipping end though. If you install it in a case without torque or pressure on the fittings it should work fine. If you are in a system that puts constant pressure on the fittings then they will likely fail over time. If you are worried about quality and lifespan I urge you not to look at the $79 water cooler price range. You pay for what you get. Remember when the Domino is 'On Sale' it sells for $60 - http://www.legitreviews.com/article/873/1/
Follow Me on Twitter!