How To Install Windows 7 from a USB Flash Drive

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Installing Windows Vista with a USB Flash drive was a tricky endeavor, but that all changes with the upcoming launch of Windows 7. Read on if you want to find out how you can install Microsoft's upcoming operating system from a USB key with our step-by-step directions from either Windows XP or Windows Vista!

Now we need to make the NFTS partition we just made active. This is where MBRWiz comes in. If you haven’t downloaded it, get it now and for simplicity, save it to your desktop. Click Start then Run. In the Run window type CMD and click ok. You should now be looking at the COMMAND window. Now we need to change directories so we can see the Desktop that is done by typing CD DESKTOP and hitting enter. Now we need to see what number Windows has assigned the thumb drive; to do this type MBRWIZ /LIST and hit enter. Mine is number 5.
Article Title: How To Install Windows 7 from a USB Flash Drive
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1031/1/
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: How To Install Windows 7 from a USB Flash Drive

Post by Major_A »

Wow that's a lot of steps. Even with Vista all I did was copy the contents of the DVD to my thumb drive. Reboot, enter the BIOS, select to boot from the flash drive and it was off. I even did it this way with a beta copy of Windows 7.
pwcmed
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pwcmed »

I found an eaiser way but can't check from work. I will find the link and post it here. I also found a utlilty that does XP to.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Major_A wrote:Wow that's a lot of steps. Even with Vista all I did was copy the contents of the DVD to my thumb drive. Reboot, enter the BIOS, select to boot from the flash drive and it was off. I even did it this way with a beta copy of Windows 7.
I tried to do it that way and my netbook wouldn't boot to it. Thus my search began to find a way to do it. I found several, some worked for PC not for my netbook, some wanted special software that had to be bought, some went as far as virtual drives and mounting the ISO. This is what I found to work no matter what, on any system, and didn't cost anything.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
werty316
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by werty316 »

Excellent guide but using UltraISO is so much easier.
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.
pwcmed
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pwcmed »

I guess the guide I used was about the same. I guess it just seemed like more because this was more detailed. This is the one I used.http://dotnetwizard.net/vista-stuff/tip ... ard-drive/

Here is that utility I used this for XP http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showforum=157. It's the first sticky.

I think I am going to try to use a regular hard drive to see how fast I can load windows.

Even if you use UltraISO, winrar, 7-Zip the steps are always going to be the similar to this guide.

Good guide now that I actually read the whole thing, Bookmarked
jakegub
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by jakegub »

I'm trying to make the x64 version of Windows 7 bootable on USB, but the message I get says

This version of G:\BOOT\BOOTSECT.exe is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. CHeck your computer's system information to see whether you need a x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program and then contact the software publisher.

Any ideas for making it bootable in vista 32-bit?
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.0GHz
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
2x1gb G.Skill DDR2-800 4-4-3-5
eVGA 8800GT SC with Akimbo cooling Kit
WinXP Pro
Dell 2405fpw @1920x1200

All wrapped up in a Lian-Li PC-G70a
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Sounds like you are trying to install the x64 version inside of a x86 OS. This guide is to install the operating system the same way you would with the original DVD.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

This is true, to get a 64bit USB key from a 32bit OS like XP because the 64bit BOOTSECT.EXE will not run in a 32bit OS. you need both 32bit and 64bit Windows 7 disk ISO's.

First set up the drive as per my article with the 32bit files, then after running the BOOTSECT.EXE delete the files from the drive (do not format) and copy over all the 64bit files and you should be good to go.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
akaelric
Legit User
Legit User

Post by akaelric »

Awesome guide. Installing by cd/dvd is so old fashion. I use usb key's at work to install various types of linux operating systems.

I am going to have set me up a usb key with Windows 7.

thanks
akaElric
jakegub
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by jakegub »

Thanks bubba!

I actually just got a version of bootsect that is x32 and spent a little time thinking about what the guide is actually doing and figured out I really just need to run the x32 version of bootsect.exe and it doesn't have to be the one from the USB drive.

G:\BOOT\BOOTSECT.exe /nt60 G: can be turned into.....
C:\Temp\boot\bootsect.exe /nt60 G:

C:\Temp\boot\ is where I downloaded the 32 bit bootsect and G: is the letter assigment of my USB drive.

WOrks like a charm. Also, the article has a typo in the command above. Right now it reads....
X:\BOOTBOOTSECT.EXE /NT60 X:

Needs to read.....
X:\BOOT\BOOTSECT.EXE /NT60 X:

Edit: Re-reading my post sort of sounds like I'm being condescending. This is a great guide and I changed my wording a bit.

Thanks again LR!
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.0GHz
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
2x1gb G.Skill DDR2-800 4-4-3-5
eVGA 8800GT SC with Akimbo cooling Kit
WinXP Pro
Dell 2405fpw @1920x1200

All wrapped up in a Lian-Li PC-G70a