Fall IDF 2005: Day 1 Highlights

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fall IDF 2005: Day 1 Highlights

Post by Apoptosis »

The Intel Developer Forum has started and the information that is flowing out of the Intel camp is coming faster than we can type it up. LR covers all the first day highlights in an easy to read bullet list and goes into details on the new Intel micro-architecture and the public CPU roadmap to 2007. A must read for any enthusiast!
Intel kicked off day one of the Intel Developers Forum (IDF) in San Francisco with an enormous amount of information and left the press with a busy night of articles to write. Since time is always of the essence we figured that a nice bullet point list will quickly get the highlights from the first day of the forum driven home.

Intel multi-core roadmap remains on track (Paxville MP & DP has been accelerated)
Next generation micro-architecture is optimized for power efficiency
Intel finally tells the press that the trademark VIIV is for future 64-bit systems
Intel will stay with Socket 775 for future processors (Pressler & Conroe)
Intel announces Hyper-Threading is a thing of the past and it wont be on many future CPU's
Intel shows new digital home capability assessment benchmark tool
Intel to launch Yonah mobile processor during CES 2006 in Las Vegas
ATI's Crossfire dual graphics solution is compatible with the Intel 955X chipset
Dolby showed off the first “Dolby Certified” Intel-based PC
http://www.legitreviews.com/article.php?aid=234

Additional Photos:

The prize for the Ultimate Geek: Mini Cooper S

Intel CEO Paul Otellini at the opening keynote:

Intel VIIV Logo:

Looks like the theory that the letters were Roman numerals standing for 6 and 4, as in 64-bit technology, was CORRECT!
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

After reading the full article, all I can say is holy crap!! We're talking 4 execution cores with Whitefield. Four cores!!!! Now this I have to see. And not only that, they're talking lower wattage for their dual cores, now that surprises me because they have been tested as wattage monsters (at least some of them anyways). Hat's off to Intel, but I'm still waiting to see what nasty little surprise AMD will have up their sleeves as a retort to this info, heheh 8)
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

killswitch83 wrote:After reading the full article, all I can say is holy crap!! We're talking 4 execution cores with Whitefield. Four cores!!!! Now this I have to see. And not only that, they're talking lower wattage for their dual cores, now that surprises me because they have been tested as wattage monsters (at least some of them anyways). Hat's off to Intel, but I'm still waiting to see what nasty little surprise AMD will have up their sleeves as a retort to this info, heheh 8)

Yeah.. Hats Off...

their new cpu's will be able to exicute 4 seperate pieces of data @ once instead of upto 3... Also they have lowered their pipeline so better performance per clock....

I'm sure AMD will have something new... but mayby it's the return of the goliath......
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

I still find it amazing that an Athlon 64 single core CPU at a lower clock speed than some of the P4's with HT can totally kick its ass. If AMD pulls out all the stops on this, Intel will be screwed, lol. BTW, I never heard of Goliath, so what is it?
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

killswitch83 wrote: BTW, I never heard of Goliath, so what is it?
goliath was the leader of the philistines who has a duel with david who was representing the jews. according to the old testament david who was supposedly smaller in statue than goliath- who was said to be a giant -wins the duel despite his disadvantage. (in reality david used a nasty trick in order to win). apparently the biggest enemies of the jews in those times were the philistines who later (when the muslim religlon spread) were converted to be muslims and now we know them as palestinians...
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

I know that, I was referring to what Apop was talking about in concerns with AMD's projects.