Asus X58 Rampage III Extreme Motherboard Preview

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Asus X58 Rampage III Extreme Motherboard Preview

Post by Apoptosis »

We managed to get our hands on a prototype ASUS Rampage III Extreme motherboard and give you a look at what ASUS has in the works for enthusiasts and gamers. If you loved the previous Rampage Extreme (REX) motherboards then the upcoming R3E won't disappoint. Read on to see what an early prototype can do!

I'm rather glad ASUS stuck with the Rampage Extreme branding as it lets me say stuff like EEEEXXXXTRRREEEEMMMMMEEE in daily conversation. I know in just writing this article I've mumbled that to myself a half-dozen times with a grin on my face. I have a feeling the Rampage III Extreme will be another board that goes down in the history books for high performance. The ASUS R3E motherboard though won't be limited in appreciation to just those people who benchmark with liquid nitrogen and dry ice. A lot of thought was put into the layout and the fact that it has an ATX form factor height means it'll enable 4-way CrossFire in a normal ATX case unlike the EVGA X58 Classified 4-Way SLI which fits in only a handful of cases...
Article Title: Asus X58 Rampage III Extreme Motherboard Preview
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1231/1/
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
FZ1

Re: Asus X58 Rampage III Extreme Motherboard Preview

Post by FZ1 »

Looks like a great board. I've been one to shell out some bucks for components in the past but I'm weary of the high prices of these new boards. Soon it will be $600 boards. I'd rather pay for a faster processor that needs less OC and get a cheaper board that may not OC as well.
Joe
Gomeler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Gomeler »

Won't lie, these mega-awesome flagship boards are getting quite expensive. I honestly never understood why the Classified was so popular for "average" enthusiasts on air and watercooling. I see that board all over the place though, way more often than I'd expect for a $400 board. I understand there will always be a slim niche of enthusiasts where price doesn't matter but otherwise these boards are nothing but phenomenal marketing platforms for dudes bashing down records left and right. Outside of these two slim markets though.. I don't understand why someone would want to drop $400 on a board versus something like the P6T. Whatever though, I love these boards and plan on beating up on this particular board now that the "preview" is completed. Bring on the liquid nitrogen :supz:
3DMark06 Addict

InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

just read this...I'm getting a hard one for this board, but I thought when first announced this bad boy WAS going to have the NF200 for all 4 slots at 16x?
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
Gomeler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Gomeler »

InspectahACE wrote:just read this...I'm getting a hard one for this board, but I thought when first announced this bad boy WAS going to have the NF200 for all 4 slots at 16x?
Don't remember hearing about that and I'm glad it doesn't. NF200 add latency and decrease efficiency. The only time you need them in my book is for quad-SLI with GTX285s. The P6T7 Supercomputer has 2 NF200s I believe, perhaps that is what you are thinking of? The upcoming EVGA w555 Classified also has 2 NF200s. I'll take my board without NF200s please :)
3DMark06 Addict

InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

Nope, I was going off what these guys said ( http://www.tweaktown.com/news/13944/asu ... index.html ) ...I just want to be able to use 3 gpu's and my sound card without losing any bandwidth or anything..I know there isn't much difference between 8x and 16x but putting that much money into it I think we all should get 16x on all slots. Just my opinion
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
FeRaL
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by FeRaL »

Meh, I had a hard time spending $200 on a x58 mobo. I can remember back in the Socket A days when you could get a smokin' OC mobo for around 100 bones and it had every premium feature.
nick30076
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by nick30076 »

Sorry, posted this question on the wrong preview earlier.

Is the PCIe x4 available and usable when two video cards (5970's) are installed for x16/x16 operation?
Gomeler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Gomeler »

From my understanding of the PCIe layout that PCIe x4 is split with the NEC USB3.0 and JMicron SATA6 chips through the ICH10R. So in short, yes.
3DMark06 Addict