Intel Core i7-980X Six-Core Processor Extreme Edition Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

In the coming few weeks Intel will be launching the worlds first six-core desktop processor with the Core i7-980X desktop processor Extreme Edition. This LGA 1366 socket processor can be run in any existing Intel X58 Express chipset powered motherboard after a quick BIOS flash, so a new platform will not be needed. Read on to see what we think of the 980X in our testing!

The Intel Core i7-980X Desktop Processor Extreme Edition was found to exceed our exceed our initial expectations, which says a ton. Having six physical processing cores created an amazing user experience when running multi-threaded applications. The enormous growth of HD media content in the home is driving the demand for computer systems that have the horse power to deliver an enjoyable user experience for the consumer. If you have ever tried to create a Blu-ray movie or just tried to transcode some HD movies you know how much time it takes to work on a project and that can be frustrating for those that do it often. With the new Intel Core i7-980X Processor you can improve productivity, save power and the best part is that it can be a drop-in replacement for those with existing socket LGA1366 motherboard. Anybody that runs multi-thread applications is sure to appreciate a six-core processor.
Article Title: Intel Core i7-980X Six-Core Processor Extreme Edition Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1245/1/
Pricing At Time of Print: $999
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Intel Core i7-980X Six-Core Processor Extreme Edition Review

Post by vbironchef »

Why does the fan point down? Does the air flow go up or down? So I have to wait 3 weeks? I would have rather not have the sticky tape on the back of the motherbord. I would think it would be hard to remove if I replace the stock cooler. Unless the backplate is universal. Which I don't think so. To bad about not giving temps with your overclock. Would have been nice to have a heads up of what to expect. I''m glad you included the video. Even a cook can do it. :lol:
jnanster
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by jnanster »

Great review, nice software spread, great job overclocking.
What a screamer with the stock cooler ... Unreal!
Nice job Intel.
ga-z77-dh3 (great & cheap O/C'er from Gigabyte)
i2600k/16 gigs Kingson 1600 (OC'ed to 4.5Ghz)
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 + (lapped, smok'in deal, 38C idle, 65C loaded)
MSI GTX 660ti Power Edition
Antec 900 case (quiet)
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Just curious here, what happens to that $1K CPU after the review is done? Does it sit on a shelf somewhere or do you send it back to Intel?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

vbironchef wrote:Why does the fan point down? Does the air flow go up or down? So I have to wait 3 weeks? I would have rather not have the sticky tape on the back of the motherbord. I would think it would be hard to remove if I replace the stock cooler. Unless the backplate is universal. Which I don't think so. To bad about not giving temps with your overclock. Would have been nice to have a heads up of what to expect. I''m glad you included the video. Even a cook can do it. :lol:
I test CPUs out of a case in an 'open air' environment. I have it placed this way for no reason to be honest, but even if you look at the Intel recommended Thermal Solution Orientation directions that they sent me for the review this is a recommended position. (alternate, but close enough!!)
fan_mounting.jpg
fan_mounting.jpg (53.67 KiB) Viewed 12031 times
As for waiting... yes you have to wait a few more weeks in order to get one of these bad boys. Intel has not mentioned when 6-core processors will become 'mainstream' in case you are wondering about that. If you want me to get some overclocked numbers I can get some for you.
jnanster wrote:Great review, nice software spread, great job overclocking.
What a screamer with the stock cooler ... Unreal!
Nice job Intel.
Thanks for the positive feedback!!
Major_A wrote:Just curious here, what happens to that $1K CPU after the review is done? Does it sit on a shelf somewhere or do you send it back to Intel?
You can read about that on Intel's blogs actually - http://blogs.intel.com/technology/2009/ ... _press.php
Follow Me on Twitter!
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Thank you for the add-on. Makes it very clear now. I watched the video again and what threw me off is the way they show the memory on the motherboard, it goes horizontal rather than vertical. Was that a goof on their part or something new to come?
Last edited by vbironchef on Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Wow Nate you have a lot of CPUs there.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Here are some load temps for you guys... Set it up to 31 x 133 at 1.400V... Ran POV-Ray across all cores with the fan set to auto:
full_load.jpg
full_load.jpg (72.16 KiB) Viewed 12015 times
Not sure if I like the Core Temp utility for this processor... Here is the same test with Real Temp... The system was up and running for an hour so the HSF is already at idle temps... For load I just ran POV-Ray across all cores looped 4 times.
realtemp_idle.jpg
realtemp_idle.jpg (60.54 KiB) Viewed 11993 times
realtemp_load.jpg
realtemp_load.jpg (57.77 KiB) Viewed 11993 times
Real Temp is showing ~35C idle and ~71C at load.
Follow Me on Twitter!
FeRaL
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by FeRaL »

vbironchef wrote:Why does the fan point down? Does the air flow go up or down? So I have to wait 3 weeks? I would have rather not have the sticky tape on the back of the motherbord. I would think it would be hard to remove if I replace the stock cooler. Unless the backplate is universal. Which I don't think so. To bad about not giving temps with your overclock. Would have been nice to have a heads up of what to expect. I''m glad you included the video. Even a cook can do it. :lol:
I've seen reviews that show this type of orientation is optimal for heat pipe type coolers,with the pipes running parallel to the floor as apposed to having them run perpendicular. There seems to be a general 2-3 degree C difference in temps. Probably has something to do with the liquid in the heatpipes on the bottom side not having to fight gravity to get back up to the base of the heatsink.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

FeRaL, have you watched the intel video. Is it me or they changed the layout of the memory slots. I had to watch it two or three times because they kept moving the image. It seems to me that the video had issues with the way a normal motherboard is laid out. Please correct me if I am watching this and not getting it. What am I missing that shows the ram slots above the cpu running parallel to the pci slots. Edit: Please stop me for over thinking this but, maybe Intel is in favor of a rotated motherboard like the cases made by Silverstone. The air intake is at the bottom and exits the top of the case. Am I thinking to much?
Last edited by vbironchef on Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FeRaL
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by FeRaL »

vbironchef wrote:FeRaL, have you watched the intel video. Is it me or they changed the layout of the memory slots. I had to watch it two or three times because they kept moving the image. It seems to me that the video had issues with the way a normal motherboard is laid out. Please correct me if I am watching this and not getting it. What am I missing that shows the ram slots above the cpu running parallel to the pci slots.
vbironchef, looks like they are using the following Intel motherboard for the graphic...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813121361
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

So I am right! They favor a rotated motherboard! What other reason would it be. Thanks for the fast reply. :) Edit: I guess it doesn't really matter, just way different than everyone else. Makes you think maybe Intel will come out with a case. Wouldn't that be a interesting.
Last edited by vbironchef on Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FeRaL
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by FeRaL »

vbironchef wrote:So I am right! They favor a rotated motherboard! What other reason would it be. Thanks for the fast reply. :)
Eh, I think maybe they are just trying to set yet another standard. Remember BTX form factor?
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Not really, I'm kind of new to this stuff. Not until I married a computer programmer. :lol: Never had a computer til I met her 10 years ago. Edit: Sorry for getting off topic.
FeRaL
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by FeRaL »

vbironchef wrote:Not really, I'm kind of new to this stuff. Not until I married a computer programmer. :lol: Never had a computer til I met her 10 years ago.
LoL, ok just ask the wife to explain about BTX form factor or read a wiki on it. Intel basically tried to put out a new form factor and it only went over good with the vendors.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Any chance that Newegg will do a preorder for the processor?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

vbironchef wrote:Any chance that Newegg will do a preorder for the processor?
You going to join the six-core club?
Follow Me on Twitter!
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Like you didn't already know:lol: Just might get two :lol: I have all my parts in boxes, just waiting the i7-980X. I went with 12 gigs of memory not 24.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

vbironchef wrote:Like you didn't already know:lol: Just might get two :lol: I have all my parts in boxes, just waiting the i7-980X. I went with 12 gigs of memory not 24.
You're going to love it... I think you saw how fun of a chip it is with this review... super fast, great thermals, solid power consumption and killer overclocks!
Follow Me on Twitter!
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Cant' wait! It's going to be a folding monster. My wife wanted me to put xp64 bit on it and I said no because it doesn't support trim. So the rig is all mine till her work starts using win7 64bit.