NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 GF100 DX11 Video Card Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

The GeForce GTX 480 is the new flagship product in NVIDIA's video card arsenal and is designed for maximum gaming performance. The GeForce GTX 480 launches with an estimated price point of $499 USD and is a DirectX 11 ready graphics cards that competes directly with the ATI Radeon HD 5870 in the single GPU market. Read on to see how it performs in our testing!

Article Title: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 GF100 DX11 Video Card Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1258/1/
DIGG URL: http://digg.com/d31MkkE
Pricing At Time of Print: $499 MSRP
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
werty316
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 GF100 DX11 Video Card Review

Post by werty316 »

That's some crazy power consumption and load temps :shock: however the F@H results are sweet.
Last edited by werty316 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

Time to upgrade my PSU lol...The temps kind of worry me though :(..my top 285 runs between 5-10C higher than the bottom one in my rig.
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

werty316 wrote:That's some crazy power consumption and load temps :shock: however the F@H results are sweet.

yeah, the F@H numbers are nice... wish i had the client to get points as I'd be running it now!!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Digital Puppy

Post by Digital Puppy »

Great review (and sweet pics!)

I'm just not sure that this card is worth $100+ over a 5870. The temperature and noise loads almost make it a non-starter for me (running dual monitors). Let's hope NV will unlock the last 32 cores and to really put the pressure on ATI.

Speaking of ATI, shouldn't we start to see a price drop on the 58xx series of cards now that we have some DX11 competition?? 8)
Just a little puppy trying to make it in a big digital world.
spitter
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by spitter »

WOW, I buy 2 of those and you will see me start a "WIFE IS PISSED" thread, nice output but could never afford the electric bill, and my wife is totally cool about how much I fold.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

I think the roll out of the GTX480 is a joke as with the roll out of the intel 6 core. Not enough in stock and a joke of a backorder. The GTX480 uses to much power, I say let somebody else pay for the electric bill. If folding is coming between puting food on the table, than I choose food.
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

I'm not as impressed as I was hoping I would be. I was expecting a huge performance gap between the 5870 and the 480. Just wasn't there for me. I think it would be neat to play with but the acoustics and the heat are just to high for my liking. Maybe there was just to much hype over the past few months but I don't think it lived up to it.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

I know a thing or two about retail. I bet that most of the cards and chips are bought buy the guys that work there. They put them up on e-bay or whereever and make a profit. If it smells like fish, then its fish or whatever you want to call it, but it stinks! I call all of this bull-s****. Edit: I call this launch a complete fail along with the Intel 6 core chip.
Gomeler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Gomeler »

I've got mixed feelings on this card. The performance right now isn't where I would have expected it to be but you have to admit the HD5870 is a pretty kickass card and those 10.3 drivers surely didn't help the GTX480 in the benchmarks :) That being said I think drivers will help improve the performance over time. Nothing will fix that awful power consumption though. Let's hope for a quick respin soon that will drop the power consumption to levels that the heatsink can dissipate without the fan giving everyone migraines.

I look forward to the GTX470 benchmarks and also what some AIBs will do for custom heatsinks. I feel these cards will scream under a waterblock and really bring the pain. Now.. where are those tri and quad SLI results :supz:
3DMark06 Addict

geokilla

Post by geokilla »

werty316 wrote:That's some crazy power consumption and load temps :shock: however the F@H results are sweet.
Check this out from AnandTech.

I checked the Hardware Canucks review first. I'm now at Legit Reviews, then will be visiting AnandTech's review. These are the 3 hardware sites that I visit. Will update my post when I'm done skimming the review if no one else posts after me.

Finished skimming. Holy crap the GTX 480 is a beast! It pretty much has ATI beat and that's even without the driver tweaking that's going to come later on. This card is definitely a winner. Now the only downside is the price, temperature, and power consumption... WAY TOO HIGH!

Anyways thanks Legit Reviews for a great review!

Oh has anyone seen the review over at [H]? I heard about it and the response to it so far is so, so. I'd go and skim it, but 3 reviews is enough to read.
Last edited by geokilla on Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.16V (CPU-Z + LinX)
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H F14 BIOS
ASUS GTX 460 768MB @ 800/1950
Kingston HyperX DDR3 8GB @ DDR-1333
Corsair AX750
Crucial M4 128GB
Western Digital Black 1TB
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ EVO
BenQ E2420HD
---------------------
I AM CANADIAN!
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

geokilla, few questions: Who has one in stock? Are going to buy one? If you are, do you have to buy a new power supply, case. Who pays the electric bill in your house? Last time I checked you were a student. Let's face it this card is crazy fast and crazy expensive. Not just to buy, but to run 24/7 is insane.
spitter
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by spitter »

Thanks Nate, looks like you ran the work units and compared the 2 cards, Anandtech looks like it ran the 2 benchmarks and cherry picked the results, best for the 480, worst for the 285, at least that's what it looks like to me. You work to hard for this, Thanks

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3783&p=6

Up next is a special benchmark version of Folding@Home that has added Fermi compatibility. Folding@Home is a Standford research project that simulates protein folding in order to better understand how misfolded proteins lead to diseases. It has been a poster child of GPGPU use, having been made available on GPUs as early as 2006 as a Close-To-Metal application for AMD’s X1K series of GPUs. Here we’re measuring the time it takes to fully process a sample work unit so that we can project how many nodes (units of work) a GPU could complete per day when running Folding@Home.

Folding@Home is the first benchmark we’ve seen that really showcases the compute potential for Fermi. Unlike everything else which has the GTX 480 running twice as fast as the GTX 285, the GTX 480 is a fewtimes faster than the GTX 285 when it comes to folding. Here a GTX 480 would get roughly 3.5x as much work done per day as a GTX 285. And while this is admittedly more of a business/science application than it is a home user application (even if it’s home users running it), it gives us a glance at what Fermi is capable when it comes to compuete.
geokilla

Post by geokilla »

vbironchef wrote:geokilla, few questions: Who has one in stock? Are going to buy one? If you are, do you have to buy a new power supply, case. Who pays the electric bill in your house? Last time I checked you were a student. Let's face it this card is crazy fast and crazy expensive. Not just to buy, but to run 24/7 is insane.
Um I'm just reading the review... never said I was going to buy one? NCIX has it on preorder for I believe $570. But yea, I think if I was going to buy this GPU I'd have to change EVERYTHING out, not just the PSU. Electricity bill, credit card bill, everything would skyrocket and my mom would just be like :axe:. She already does with us using all the bandwidth for the month...

Went off topic. We need the driver tweaks from NVIDIA so reviews can do an update to their reviews, assuming they have time of course. I think AMD is going to have to go to the price for performance route. In my opinion, their current GPUs can't compete with what NVIDIA released tonight.
Corsair AX750
Crucial M4 128GB
BenQ E2420HD
---------------------
I AM CANADIAN!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

spitter wrote:Thanks Nate, looks like you ran the work units and compared the 2 cards, Anandtech looks like it ran the 2 benchmarks and cherry picked the results, best for the 480, worst for the 285, at least that's what it looks like to me. You work to hard for this, Thanks
I tried to do as much on the card as I could in the few days i had available to benchmark the card. An amazing amount of time goes into these reviews and I wish I had more time to spend on them. I'm going to do more testing on it, so expect some updates down the road.
Follow Me on Twitter!
spitter
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by spitter »

Thanks for the time, it always shows!!!

So it looks like this card folds no better than a oc 295.
Last edited by spitter on Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geokilla

Post by geokilla »

spitter wrote:Thanks for time it always shows!!!

Actually, it's miles better than anything on the market at the moment...

@Apop. The idling and load temperatures for an open test bench and when in a computer case is huge. Were you worried that you were gonna kill the GPU?
Corsair AX750
Crucial M4 128GB
BenQ E2420HD
---------------------
I AM CANADIAN!
brickman61
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by brickman61 »

Nate, I can tell you put a lot of time into this review....it shows. Since the 480's run so warm running 2 monitors being air cooled, I wonder how they would do with liquid cooling.I look forward to seeing the results on alternative cooling options since the stock cooling seems to be inadequate and annoying. Will LR will be doing reviews on alternative cooling?
SAMSAMHA
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by SAMSAMHA »

i am quite dissappointed with the heat and the power consumption of the card. It's a great performance card but it's just way too hot and too power hungry.
Bwall
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bwall »

spitter wrote:Thanks for time it always shows!!!

Good call on the folding performance ;)