GeForce GTX 480 Gets a BIOS Update and Cooks an Egg

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
thebeastie
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Re: GeForce GTX 480 Gets a BIOS Update and Cooks an Egg

Post by thebeastie »

I'm not even going to go into how many levels you're just plain wrong on theories of airflow.
Dan
And just so typically you don't even try, you just assume, this is why this site is widely regarded as one of the poorest tech sites for real information.

Why don't you try being less arrogant and try such cases tests your self? YOU WILL find like we have from our heat tests that it does make a SIGNIFICANT difference.
Just because you didn't read it on Anandtech first doesn't mean it isn't true. Go out and find something out for your self for once.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

thebeastie wrote:
I'm not even going to go into how many levels you're just plain wrong on theories of airflow.
Dan
And just so typically you don't even try, you just assume, this is why this site is widely regarded as one of the poorest tech sites for real information.

Why don't you try being less arrogant and try such cases tests your self? YOU WILL find like we have from our heat tests that it does make a SIGNIFICANT difference.
Just because you didn't read it on Anandtech first doesn't mean it isn't true. Go out and find something out for your self for once.
OK, I'll bite.
I can't believe this, after all the marketing that companies like Silverstone have done to inform people about positive air flow you still do you review in the completely silly and unrealistic non cased on desktop testing.
If you'd have read the original 480GTX review like I linked, you'd know that we tested the 480GTX in a Corsair 800D. With more intakes than exhausts the case has positive pressure, and guess what, thermal performance was still shocking in that case. If a $300 case failed to keep the 480GTX card cool (when every other card used in it coped fine) the 480GTX just shouldn't be that hot to begin with.
It has been pretty obvious that ATI deliberately created its newer cards like the 5970 to be so big that it forces the user to use a bigger positive style air flow case.
Really? This is the reason they had to use a 12.2" PCB to fit two graphics cores, 2GB memory, the bridge chip and all the power hardware onto a single board? Yep, Definitely obvious.
If you have a proper positive air flow case it is like the card it self has a full 20cm fan attached to it instead of the tiny fan it does have. Let the case do some of the work in cooling, new positive air flow cases from Silverstone can aid in cooling the card down not negate it. Or try the CM Storm Sniper with 2 x 20cm fans on its filtered side intake area, that should give some good positive air flow.
It doesn't work like the card has a 20cm fan attached to the side of it. Most of the positive pressure is going to escape out of the path of least resistance, through a densely packed heatsink graphics card exhaust is not that path. Sure it'll help a bit, but if you're selling a product like nvidia is, you can't rely on the end user having a certain case setup for your card to perform thermally well. What happens when you start to run these cards in SLI configurations? Positive case pressure isn't going to do much for the cards then.

Cases I've seen with huge fans on the side are cheap (or cheap looking) cases, and if someone is spending $500 on a graphics card, they'll at least have the money (if not the sense of style) to buy something more than a tacky looking case with a huge 200mm+ fan on the side.
A video card like this should be a case manufactures dream and we don't have any reviews out there showing off the potential yet.
How is it going to be a case manufacturers dream to design a case around cooling a single card, that is ridiculously hot, that is going to rack up barely single digit percentages of the total cards nvidia sells? Lots of return on the R&D investments there.

Bottom line though; you're completely attacking the wrong article for what in your eyes is bad review practice case setups. This particular piece is meant to be a tongue-in-cheek look at the new nvidia vBIOS (designed to work out issues with multi monitor support) and a play on the old adage of "it's so hot you can cook an egg on it".

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

I'll bite too.
thebeastie wrote:And just so typically you don't even try, you just assume, this is why this site is widely regarded as one of the poorest tech sites for real information.
References please, I wouldn't mind reading through these claims.
thebeastie wrote:Why don't you try being less arrogant and try such cases tests your self? YOU WILL find like we have from our heat tests that it does make a SIGNIFICANT difference.
There is a big shocker, one sites tests didn't match another. How much is a significant difference?

:?
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Guys, If you look at this guys posts on other forums, they are all case related and he only seems to like ones like the Thermaltake V9 that blow a lot of hot air................... O:)
countcristo
Legit User
Legit User

Post by countcristo »

Getting back to the article (and not flaming other people discussing about air flow in cases), gtx 480 is still too hot.

Even if it doesn't hit those 96C temps any more, 86C isn't exactly great either. I'd still go with a Radeon this generation if I had the money.

Is there anyone here where temps/power draw/cost doesn't matter to them, since this is a tech forum, I'd imagine more people on here would want the latest/greatest?
Lt Ohio
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Lt Ohio »

djpinc19 wrote:try sealing the top of the egg cage and turn it into a pressure cooker...otherwise putting the lid on the pot
doing this could cause condensation build up so i wouldn't recommend doing this one.

As far as the heating issue goes, having a video card in an enclosed area will heat up faster and stay hotter regardless of fans because space and heat don't get along. having the card on a test bench set up is actually in favor because new cooler air is constantly being cycle into the card, instead of stuffy case air. its like living in a small room with lots of equipment (like i do) then moving into a bigger room with the same amount of equipment, the temperature drops because there is more room for air to circulate. ](*,)
My rig.
Asus M4A79XTD-Evo motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 4850
AMD Phenom II x2 550 BE cpu / Hyper N 520 cpu cooler
Crucial Ballistx ddr3 1333
Corsair TX 750
160 gb hdd
asus dvd burner
Bo_Fox
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Bo_Fox »

ROFL!!! A funny article!!!

It's the first time I've bothered to digg an article in more than a year! :)

thebeastie wrote:
Apoptosis wrote:GeForce GTX 480 Gets a BIOS Update and Cooks an Egg
I can't believe this, after all the marketing that companies like Silverstone have done to inform people about positive air flow you still do you review in the completely silly and unrealistic non cased on desktop testing.

FFS put the video card in a really high positive air flow case and then see how it deals with heat. It has been pretty obvious that ATI deliberately created its newer cards like the 5970 to be so big that it forces the user to use a bigger positive style air flow case.

If you have a proper positive air flow case it is like the card it self has a full 20cm fan attached to it instead of the tiny fan it does have. Let the case do some of the work in cooling, new positive air flow cases from Silverstone can aid in cooling the card down not negate it. Or try the CM Storm Sniper with 2 x 20cm fans on its filtered side intake area, that should give some good positive air flow.

A video card like this should be a case manufactures dream and we don't have any reviews out there showing off the potential yet.
I have a couple "enthusiast rigs" and one is open case.. and it is better than any case no matter how "positive" the case flow.. in an open case, the heat is allowed to freely rise and be blown away by the air conditioning in the room, plus whatever fans you have blowing at it or across it. With the GPU upside down (so that the chip is facing the ceiling) the heatpipes are able to more effectively transfer heat from the GPU as the liquid in the pipes travel upwards. ATX is an ancient design.. one of the oldest standards ever developed for the PC. We really need a new industry-wide standard in case design to become the norm. The positive case airflow is still rather "slightly" positive as most of the positive air would escape through the PSU, not through the tiny video card slot anyways. Even a 200cm fan only makes the pressure ever-so-slightly positive, since it's spinning at such a low RPM, and if the pressure becomes a bit too positive from having too many intake fans, the air would actually come back out of the 200cm fan slot.. rendering it useless. The airflow through the video card is probably affected by the "positivity/negativity" of the case pressure within only say, a 5% margin of the GPU temperature difference, with the remaining 95+% of the flow dictated by the GPU fan alone.
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

Dan I couldn't have said it better. (gotta admire your patience and niceness on that one)

I also want to chime in saying that if a "high airflow" case really made a big difference, then I shouldn't be hitting the max temps on my GTX285's that EVERY review site(including this one) has gotten in open air under full load, in my HAF-932.
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
eunoia
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by eunoia »

bubba wrote: References please, I wouldn't mind reading through these claims.
+1

I too would like to analyze your data and methodology as pertains case testing with this hot new graphics card. :)
No one would talk much in society, if he knew how often he misunderstands others. - Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe (1749-1832)
crowTrobot
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by crowTrobot »

lol the guy sounds like a shill for a company that manufactures cases.
Dany
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Dany »

LOL funny article, I hate updating bios
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Just wanted to let everyone know that I posted an update to this article here - http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1271/1/

Looks like they have figured it out and have 'fixed' the issue with new fan profiles.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!