Danger Den NVIDIA GeForce GTX480 All Copper Water Block

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Danger Den NVIDIA GeForce GTX480 All Copper Water Block

Post by Apoptosis »

Danger Den NVIDIA GeForce GTX480 All Copper Water Block Review

The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 graphics card from NVIDIA is known to run notoriously hot. Today we look at one way to tame the heat as we water cooler our GeForce GTX 480 with the Danger Den DD-GTX480 all copper version water block. We install the DD-GTX480 on our EVGA GTX480 and find out how much it can lower the temperatures and how much it can help overclocking as we push our card beyond what it could do on air cooling!

Danger Den’s GTX480 is one very nice addition to my EVGA GeForce GTX480 video card. Not only did it help cool the card better, but it also managed to eliminate the noise from the horridly loud stock fan. That in and of itself warrants the $135 price tag the all copper version we tested today carries. When it came to performance by water cooling the GeForce GTX 480 we were able to drop stock load temps from 92C to 49C, which is a drop of 47%. Reducing your temperatures by nearly half is amazing and anyone that is thinking about getting a GeForce GTX 480 should consider water cooling as an option as it really is nice. You get lower noise levels, possibly improve the longevity of the video card and are able to overclock it farther than you could on air for even better performance. Danger Den has done a great job on these blocks and you can tell from the second you pick the water block up that it you made a solid investment.
Article Title: Danger Den NVIDIA GeForce GTX480 All Copper Water Block Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1309/1/
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
iseeman
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Re: Danger Den NVIDIA GeForce GTX480 All Copper Water Block

Post by iseeman »

Wow this is 1 amazing water block =D> ..
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gwolfman »

I agree, simply amazing. Btw, how much would a simple setup costs? I would need the whole setup: 3x120 rad, res, pump, tubing, accessories, plus this waterblock. How cheap can I put one together?
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

eh, cheap and water cooling really don't go well together. What I use is on the low end of the scale except the blocks.

DDC3.2 pump: 65.00
Top to allow for 7/16" ID tube: 25~35.00 depending on the top

Could run a D5 for $70 but its bigger, little harder to put in a case but custom top is not needed it has 1/2" barbs already.

Fittings: $3~13 each, low side barbs, high side compression and swivel fittings .
res: $20~70.00 depending on size or you could run a T-line for $5-6 (T fitting, tubing to act as a res, bolt in the end to act as a plug)
Rad: 2x120 - $50, 3x120 $60, 4x120 $80
Tube: 7/16 masterkleer - $0.69 per foot at crazy PC
Then ya got fans, $7-20 each.

round about $150 less the block, $300ish with. That will get ya started, now if you have an SLI rig then you get into SLI fittings, another block. If you want to throw the CPU in the mix then tack on another $80ish plus another par of fittings.

My CPU loop in the article is roughly $285 less shipping, the GPU loop is roughly $360 less shipping. <- made me cry when I figured that up. buy it a little here, little there don't notice as much :rolleyes: Glad I'm divorced no more "you spent what, on what" arguments :mrgreen:
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gwolfman »

Thanks for the reply. I'd just steal my two Noctua 120mm fans from my CPU heatsink right now, so I'd save some on that. I'd probably like to throw the CPU in the loop as well, so I'd need a block for that. Do you recommend that pump that you use? Is it enough for the CPU and GPU together on the same loop? And any recommendations for the brand & model for a 3x120 rad?
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

The DDC or the D5 are good pumps, the DDC is a little nicer in the way that its smaller. Better chance of fitting where you want it to. The D5 is big, with the mount its roughly the size of your fist. Either one will handle a CPU and GPU.

With the Noctua fans you would be good with the Switech 3x120, the swifty rads like low medium CFM fans like the Noctuas.

The Swifty 320 can handle a OC'd 920 and twin 275's. Only beat by a 1/2 degree by rads costing twice as much. Some recent testing from Skinee Labs <- has some of the most indepth thermal testing I can find, way more then the average guy will need.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gwolfman »

Thanks. I got these on my wish-list. :)