Future Look: The Optimus Organic LED keyboard

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Anyone want to buy my spare organs? Going cheap at $1536!

It is very pretty, the only thing that has changed from concept to now is that they've had to use slightly less OLED's. As now they just have squares of them on the larger keys, such as space bar, where before they had the whole key lit up.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Future Look: The Optimus Organic LED keyboard

Post by Apoptosis »

almost 3 years later and I still get e-mails on this all the time... Here is one I got this morning for a reader named Oren, who I thought I'd share with you all.
I read your article on the upcoming Optimus keyboard and Zboard and I have to comment.

Looking 5-8 years into the future you may be right. These types of keyboard MAY become popular and replace current solutions.

Having said that note the following:

· Currently Optimus keyboard in its ‘light’ setup costs 1,000$. For 250$ you will buy Zboard + 15 Custom keysets which is probably more than every average user will ever use. If Zboard average user will use let’s say 7 different layouts (Keysets) his cost will be 150$

· Zboard keysets (And other gaming keyboards) changes the PHYSICAL SIZE of keys depending their function. Important keys are larger. Non-important keys smaller and so on.

· Zboard keysets (And other gaming keyboards) changes the PHYSICAL SHAPE where some keys are flat, some convex and some concave. This can’t be done with Optimus type of keyboard

· Zboard keysets comes with high quality graphic layer (Made from special type of plastic) that ‘paint’ user keyboard with graphics (Between the keys) of the used game. Optimus type only control what’s inside the keys

As far as I can see the future, Optimus type of solution will become the solution for very niche, rich high-end demographics. I’m nearly certain it will never come even near the popularity of other ‘Below 100$’ solutions. Even if Optimus price will sharply decrease to let’s say 500$, how do you know will buy this instead of the LATEST AND GREATEST Video card that goes for this same price?

High end ‘management’ type of gadget. Nothing mor
e.
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

Although it does look nice, I'll stick with my 19,99$ Microsoft keyboard :mrgreen:
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

Nearly 3 years after it's been announced... It's finally out! Engadget got a sample and it looks pretty cool!
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

Zertz wrote:Nearly 3 years after it's been announced... It's finally out! Engadget got a sample and it looks pretty cool!

Got a linky for that? :dunno:
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

stev wrote:
Zertz wrote:Nearly 3 years after it's been announced... It's finally out! Engadget got a sample and it looks pretty cool!

Got a linky for that? :dunno:
Didn't want to post an outside link, but here it is: http://www.engadget.com/tag/optimus+maximus/

The third article has a video showing functionality
/dev/null
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by /dev/null »

Man I want one of these keyboard SOOOO bad. It would be awesome to have the keyboard able to go into a screensaver mode when your computer does as well, but I certainly don't know how to program that one! Maybe if I ever get my hands on one I can start looking into it, but until then I can certainly dream! Ooh the possibilities!
Gameros
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Gameros »

I didnt realize how old this thread was when I started reading it. I was wondering why you guys were referencing numbers from 2003-2005. Cool Keyboard though. Pricey, but cool.
Athlon 2900 + 9600PRO + Chaintech MB + 1GB PC3200 = I need a new computer