Corsair Force Series 120GB SandForce SF-1200 SSD Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Corsair has upped the ante with their Force Series drives by cutting drive provisioning, allowing 20% more capacity to be used. This helps the price per usable GB but will this hurt performance? Read on to see how the Corsair Force 120GB SSD does compared to the original Corsair Force 100GB SSD! The results might just surprise you!

As far as performance is concerned, we observed almost exactly what we saw with the Force 100GB drive, as we expected. We found both of these drives to be among the best performing MLC SATA II drives available which is typical of the all Sandforce based drives we have seen from nearly all manufacturers. The prices for SSD's haven't come down much as of late with the economy doing the yo-yo and NAND being consumed voraciously by iPads and smartphones. With Corsair freeing up more available capacity without having to add more onboard NAND really helps add to the value of the drive without increasing production costs, so the consumer wins. While the Force 120GB drive is listed online at Amazon for $350, it looks like they don't have it in stock yet which means the price is almost assuredly going to come down once it is more widely available - unless there are supply issues.
Article Title: Corsair Force Series 120GB SandForce SF-1200 SSD Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1338/1/
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
pwcmed
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Corsair Force Series 120GB SandForce SF-1200 SSD Review

Post by pwcmed »

Hopefully the OCZ agility 2 120gig will follow suit with this one and perform just as good as it's 100gig version. Man that was a steal for 239.99.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

pwcmed wrote:Hopefully the OCZ agility 2 120gig will follow suit with this one and perform just as good as it's 100gig version. Man that was a steal for 239.99.
In all honesty it should as Sandforce is handling all the firmware for all the companies, so it should perform just the same as both companies are paying to unlock the controllers full 4K writer performance.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Any way to add some real world testing to the drives? Synthetic benchmarks are nice and consistent but don't tell me how it will work in my PC. Add some file copy tests (TeraCopy) and compression/decompression tests (WinRAR/7-Zip) if you can. They don't take long and tell more than ATTO does.
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

We can look at that. I did some teracopy tests with some of the flash drives but the problem with that it can be impacted by the drive you are copying from & to and compression/decompression tests can be very CPU dependent.
Joe
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Joe aren't you the go-to guy for testing SSD drives? Meaning if you are testing them all on the same rig then we could see the difference if the system is the same sans the hard drive.
Z999z3mystorys
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Z999z3mystorys »

I just ordered one of these, the review here was one of the factors in choosing this SSD, I'm sure I'll be happy with it :)