ATI Cuts Video Card Warranty To One Year

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I do see where your thoughts are coming from, but if you look at the entire market my comments are not naive. When you look at the entire GPU market you have two major players when it comes to desktop graphics cards: ATI & NVIDIA. In recent months NVIDIA has had a faster graphics card, increased sales/profits, and their partners are offering a longer warranty (in some cases lifetime). On the other hand if you look at ATI they have had delays and paper launches recently with no crossfire of X1000 family cards on the market, sales and stock prices are down, and their main competition is offering lifetime warranties via their partners.

How do you play catch up? For starters if ATI or their partners don't offer lifetime warranties more consumers will continue to by NVIDIA cards. I for one would buy a card with a lifetime warranty over a similar card with a 1-3 year warranty. By ATI reducing their warranty they are getting out of the spot light of the sales game. Did you think that ATI might be slowly cutting back to eventually end selling retail cards direct to consumers? Remember NVIDIA doesn't sell cards off their site. Did that harm the company and sales? Of course not nvidia is #1 in graphics sales last time I checked!

When I made the statment "We hope that it will increase warranty competition among the third party builders and in the end it will be the consumers who win." I was looking at the entire industry. I also spoke with a number of ATI partners and asked them about their warranties and ATI's reduction. All of the card partners were talking about going longer, not shorter on their warranties. I'm sorry, but Naive is not the right word to use. I spoke with ATI and several partners before I wrote the articles and posted the facts and my overall thoughts on what the market is doing. Right now it is warranty competition between ATI and NVIDA and if ATI's partners want to sell cards you will see longer warranties not shorter.

You can disagree with me all you want and that is fine as time will tell who is right.
Jetsam
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Jetsam »

I bought 3 Sapphiretech Radeon back in 2001 and two of them broke. They were replaced under warranty, and broke again after a year or two. As a result, I only buy "built by ATI." I haven't had any problems from my BBAs, which include a Rage, 2 Radeon DDR, a 9500, and a 9600. The Rage and DDRs are old, I know, but they have no problem running Office at 75 FPS.

This warranty reduction bothers me. ATI gets my business because I believe they build better parts. If ATI does not believe their parts are reliable, why should I?
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

As far as I know ATI don't actually make any cards themselves!

Sapphire make all ATI's cards!
Infact Sapphire used to make ALL x800 cards (even those for other makers, they just stuck a new sticker over the ATI sticker)

I have a x800pro (mod to xtpe), It's made by powercolor (TUL), but under the sticker is an ATI sticker.....

Not sure about the new generation cards, but I'd say Sapphire make all otf them aswell!
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Yeppers........last I heard is that ATI is still a fabless card maker...... :shock: But so is Nvidia, they don't make any cards themselves either.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

So "Built by ATI" and a shorter warranty, means ATI have no confidence in their GPU's!!! The GPU is the only thing the "make" - infact TSMC make all their GPU's :)

Same with Nvidia... Just they never claim to have a "built by Nvidia" card...
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Almost no one makes their own stuff these days. It's contracted out to the lowest bidder, but as always, there are exceptions to every rule.
Conveyician
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Re: ATI Cuts Video Card Warranty To One Year

Post by Conveyician »

This is total bull.

The quality of the ATI card has been reduced, especially the cooling fans - thus the reduced warranty. Every single ATI card I and my customers have had the past 6 years the fan fails past the halfway mark of the warranty period - then the card dies.

Most cards last just past the 1.5 years, then die. the replacements are even worse quality - some last just 6 months - some even have bad fans out of the box!.

Both The fans bushing/Bearings wear from lack of lubrication - then starts "cavitating" - reducing RPM which reduces cooling - the card runs hot then fails.

They have been eating a boat load of cards older than 1.5 years. The warranty is killing them. China made cards now anyway - even the replacements. I am DONE with ATI - forever.

BTW - I have been installing genuine ATI products since the EGA era. . . I now have switched to Nvidia and so will all of my customers.

I no longer support or recommend ATI for ANYTHING - it's a money loser for me.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

you do know this article is 5 years old right and ATI doesn't sell cards at all anymore.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
skier

Post by skier »

Apoptosis wrote:you do know this article is 5 years old right and ATI doesn't sell cards at all anymore.
LOL i didnt know either made cards! almost 2 years before i really knew anything at all about computers hahaha
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
Conveyician
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Conveyician »

ok - this thread is not locked - nor is it closed - and it is the 2nd position on a google search result page TODAY. So - Get off it . . .

Secondly - your dumb remark about ATI not selling cards anymore is idiotic - We all are aware AMD acquired ATI 4yrs ago - yet all the cards being sold are still branded ATI - so - to try and knock someone - you exposed yourself as a total moron.

If you are going to start a pissing match, better drink some more beer buddy - you just lost, and got pissed all over too.

BTW, why the hell are you watching AND responding to a 5yr old thread?

I think you just like the golden showers....
stereo55
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by stereo55 »

Ok , lets meeeeeellow out .

Iam sure no disrespect was meant here .

So lets all just keep our 8)

Welcome to the forums Conveyician :partyman:
* i7 5930K @ 4GHz 1.085v - Corsair H100i GTX - Asrock x99 OC Formula 3.1
* Sandisk Extreme Pro 480gb - HGST NAS 3TB - 2x WD Blue 1TB - 32gig Crucial 2133 - EVGA 980 Ti Classified - Corsair 780T/Seasonic 760 Platinum
* LG 34" Ultra Wide - Hanns-G HZ281HPB 27.5" - LG WH16NS40 Blu Burner - SoundBlaster Z - Klipsch 4.1's/Altec center channel
* Windows 8.1 Pro/Windows 10
* Retired game rig i7 920 @ 3.9 - EVGA x58 - still going strong!

Heatware
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

Wow... just wow.

All Apop said was ATI (yes, AMD owns the brand ATI, we all know that) does not sell cards anymore, meaning you can only buy ATI cards from 3rd parties (ASUS, HIS, Powercolor, XFX, MSI, etc). This thread was pertaining to before AMD bought them and you could buy an ATI branded card sold by ATI themselves... not a third party.

The forum automatically lists recently replied to topics at the top of a category... so everyone notices when a 5 year old thread gets bumped back to the top of the list.

Welcome to LR!
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
pwcmed
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pwcmed »

Man I love keyboard warriors!! You guys are awfully polite welcoming someone with no manners.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Conveyician wrote:ok - this thread is not locked - nor is it closed - and it is the 2nd position on a google search result page TODAY. So - Get off it . . .

Secondly - your dumb remark about ATI not selling cards anymore is idiotic - We all are aware AMD acquired ATI 4yrs ago - yet all the cards being sold are still branded ATI - so - to try and knock someone - you exposed yourself as a total moron.

If you are going to start a pissing match, better drink some more beer buddy - you just lost, and got pissed all over too.

BTW, why the hell are you watching AND responding to a 5yr old thread?

I think you just like the golden showers....
Sorry, ATI doesn't sell cards any longer.. Back in the day they used to sell cards directly to the public.

Move along please.
Follow Me on Twitter!
geokilla

Post by geokilla »

Why are you guys even responding to him? Just lock the damn thread! Lol
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.16V (CPU-Z + LinX)
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H F14 BIOS
ASUS GTX 460 768MB @ 800/1950
Kingston HyperX DDR3 8GB @ DDR-1333
Corsair AX750
Crucial M4 128GB
Western Digital Black 1TB
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ EVO
BenQ E2420HD
---------------------
I AM CANADIAN!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

geokilla wrote:Why are you guys even responding to him? Just lock the damn thread! Lol
No need to lock... i dusted off the ban button and he is the 4th person that I have banned ;)
Follow Me on Twitter!
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

Good form Nate.
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro