NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 SLI Video Card Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Digital Puppy

NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 SLI Video Card Review

Post by Digital Puppy »

NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 SLI Video Card Review w/ ASUS, EVGA & MSI

The NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 video card is said to bring the GeForce 400 series features and performance to a very attractive $129 price point for gamers on a budget. We have a pair of NVIDIA GTS450 reference cards to run in SLI and also overclocked cards from ASUS, EVGA and MSI to try out. With a new test system and new suite of benchmarks, read on to see how the GeForce GTS 450 does against the ATI Radeon HD 5770 and GeForce GTX 460 768MB video cards!

After spending a week testing four different NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 video cards we have to admit we are very impressed with the performance of the video card in both single card and SLI configurations. For between $129 and $149 the cards that we tested here today pack a mean punch for the price you pay. If you play games at 1280x1024, 1680x1050 or 1440x900 the GTS 450 video card won't disappoint as long as you are okay turning down the AA and some of the image quality settings in the game. The NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 easily walks all over the ATI Radeon HD 5750 and actually performed equally with the similarly priced ATI Radeon HD 5770! Both cards lead the other in four benchmarks and then in the final benchmark each card led in one of the resolutions tested. The GeForce GTS 450 and the Radeon HD 5770 appear to be fairly equal, but then you have to consider the features that each card offers and what brand you are loyal to, if any.
Article Title: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 SLI Video Card Review w/ ASUS, EVGA & MSI
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1408/1/
Pricing At Time of Print: $129.99
Just a little puppy trying to make it in a big digital world.
jnanster
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 SLI Video Card Review

Post by jnanster »

Great review. The scaling is very impressive.
But the scaling is a closely connected to the CPU power.
It is unlikely that anyone would purchase an nVidia 450 (or even two of them) card if they have a $900 CPU.
I am wondering where the scaling starts to drop off based on CPU.
How low can you go?
ga-z77-dh3 (great & cheap O/C'er from Gigabyte)
i2600k/16 gigs Kingson 1600 (OC'ed to 4.5Ghz)
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 + (lapped, smok'in deal, 38C idle, 65C loaded)
MSI GTX 660ti Power Edition
Antec 900 case (quiet)
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

I have always used ATI products and even now have ATI onboard 3200-4290 on my computers. With ATI onboard, would I still get top performance using an NVIDIA card such as this one in a single GPU setting? Or should I still be looking at ATI offerings for compatibility and Crossfire usability?

PS, thanks for the great review!
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

If you are planning on running multiple graphics cards on an AMD based chipset you would need a pair of ATI Graphics cards. If you are only going to run a single graphics card you can run any single card on a AMD chipset. I have alway disabled the onboard gfx on my motherboard if it is present.
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

Thanks for the info. Right now the best cards I have are a couple of 4350s, so they aren't much better than the onboard so I just use it and keep my power use down. I don't play any newer games, the newest I have is COD4 and MOH:Airborne (and even then I only play the computer AI, not online) so the onboard works just fine for those. Maybe if I can luck into a strong card I will try out the newer games, but for right now I do more videditing and reencoding than anything else so I can't justify buying an expensive card. This price point is about my limit, and then would only get to get one as a Xmas or birthday present, lol.
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
Aniki
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Aniki »

Scaling on this looks awesome.