IDF 2010: SandForce Using Intel 25nm MLC Flash On SSDs

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

While walking around the IDF 2010 technology showcase we stopped by the SandForce booth to see what new SSD (Solid State Drive) technology that they were showing off. SandForce didn't disappoint us as we quickly saw several very cool SSD products sitting around the booth. The first thing that caught our attention was an SSD running the latest Intel 25nm MLC TSOP NAND Flash!

Article Title: SandForce Using Intel 25nm MLC Flash On SSDs
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1410/1/
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
imallupinya
Legit User
Legit User

Re: IDF 2010: SandForce Using Intel 25nm MLC Flash On SSDs

Post by imallupinya »

These are definitely the drives of the future. 600GB or more SSD now that gets my attention. I'm sure the price would get my attention as well though. :shock:
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

Those SATA DIMMS are the shizzit!Imagine how small a footprint you could make a computer with if you had those on a mobo instead of having to mount drives. Plus how easy it would be to change out drives.
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
imallupinya
Legit User
Legit User

Post by imallupinya »

I was thinking of that. But you would need like 10 mem slots to make it worth while. At least at todays rate of memory storage
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Update on the SATADIMM seen in the article:

SandForce informed us that they have 50GB, 100GB, 200GB SATADIMM modules available today with a 400GB SATADIMM becoming available next quarter. SandForce also said that they have MLC & SLC configurations available depending on the customer needs. The SATADIMM has Enterprise Class performance and speeds of 30k IOPS is easily possible. The SATADIMM also has Supercap for power fail protection and will be validated across mainstream server motherboards.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

I could even foresee a daughterboard-type arrangement for those SATADIMMS, or perhaps a special slotboard that would hold 10 at one time that could bolt anywhere space would allow and just hook to a mobo via a single cable. Possibilities are really opening up for miniaturization of large-scale storage with no moving parts. I think that data retrieval on crashed drives could be a challenge but not insurmountable if enough eggheads put their noggins together for a solution.
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll: