NZXT Phantom Black E-ATX Full Tower Case Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Post Reply
User avatar
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 33922
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2003 8:45 pm
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Contact:

NZXT Phantom Black E-ATX Full Tower Case Review

Post by Apoptosis » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:26 am

NZXT Phantom Black E-ATX Full Tower Case Review

NZXT has been building cases for the past six years, but this summer the company said they would release their most elegant and intelligent chassis design to date with a new full tower called, the Phantom. The Phantom has 7 fan cooling options, 7 storage drives, room larger video card, support for E-ATX motherboards and even has a fan controller for up to five fans! Not a bad feature list for a case that runs around $145 shipped.

Image
The NZXT Phantom is hands down one of the finest computer cases I have ever had the pleasure of reviewing. With its sleek aerodynamic look and slew of features, I have a feeling it will be make people take notice for years to come. With a price tag of $139.99 and a two year warranty, it is clearly priced to compete with and dominate the other full tower cases in its class such as the Corsair Obsidian (shown below) which has all of the same features except for being made of aluminum, but is priced $120 higher.
Article Title: NZXT Phantom Black E-ATX Full Tower Case Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1419/1/
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!

Sttm
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:31 pm
Location: San Jose CA

Re: NZXT Phantom Black E-ATX Full Tower Case Review

Post by Sttm » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:25 pm

Definitely the next case I buy. Great styling, great features, and it looks so awesome in white. Even the interior!
Core i7 2600k/ ASUS P8Z68-V Z68/ 8gb Corsair Vengeance 1600 Blue/ EVGA Geforce GTX 560ti Maximum Graphics Edition/Windows 7/Antec 300/Antec 650w/LG Blu Combo/Hp 27inch 2710M/Samsung P2770HD

"I think sharing is overrated...and helping others. And what's all this crap I've been hearing about tolerance?"

BrianG
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:40 pm
Location: Southern California
Contact:

Re: NZXT Phantom Black E-ATX Full Tower Case Review

Post by BrianG » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:29 pm

Sttm wrote:Definitely the next case I buy. Great styling, great features, and it looks so awesome in white. Even the interior!
I so wish I had a white one. With all black cables.

INeedAFnSuffix
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:25 am

Re: NZXT Phantom Black E-ATX Full Tower Case Review

Post by INeedAFnSuffix » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:06 pm

If everything inside was white ! :)
Even if it was in black , it already looks like a ... Murcielago ... (I prefer lambo's to 911's :D)
Looking at the white case in front of my laptop makes me suffer from Flash blindness , i think my lights got dimmer + my screen is at max .

jebo_4jc
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:03 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: NZXT Phantom Black E-ATX Full Tower Case Review

Post by jebo_4jc » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:38 am

I couldn't disagree more with the conclusion of this article.

Any "enthusiast" case that only has 7 expansion slots is just dumb to me.

You'll never get three GPUs in there. And you can rule out the nicer mobos out there like the Gigabyte UD7 or eVGA 4x SLI or SR2.

I would agree with everything said in the article, except my conclusion would be "except I can't use this case because my three GTX275s won't fit", so for me, it's a loser.

User avatar
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
Posts: 1767
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:25 pm
Location: Las Vegas

Re: NZXT Phantom Black E-ATX Full Tower Case Review

Post by InspectahACE » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:46 pm

jebo_4jc wrote:I couldn't disagree more with the conclusion of this article.

Any "enthusiast" case that only has 7 expansion slots is just dumb to me.

You'll never get three GPUs in there. And you can rule out the nicer mobos out there like the Gigabyte UD7 or eVGA 4x SLI or SR2.

I would agree with everything said in the article, except my conclusion would be "except I can't use this case because my three GTX275s won't fit", so for me, it's a loser.
To be honest that depends more on the placement of the PCI-e slots on the motherboard. The Rampage II Extreme would fall into your post yes, but something like the Rampage III Extreme, would be able to fit 3 dual slotted GPU's in a 7 slotted case such as this one. I ran into this issue with my HAF-932 and my RIIE.
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD x2 | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic | Logitech G502 | Logitech G810| BenQ Zowie XL2730 27" monitor | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

jebo_4jc
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:03 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: NZXT Phantom Black E-ATX Full Tower Case Review

Post by jebo_4jc » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:52 pm

InspectahACE wrote:
jebo_4jc wrote:I couldn't disagree more with the conclusion of this article.

Any "enthusiast" case that only has 7 expansion slots is just dumb to me.

You'll never get three GPUs in there. And you can rule out the nicer mobos out there like the Gigabyte UD7 or eVGA 4x SLI or SR2.

I would agree with everything said in the article, except my conclusion would be "except I can't use this case because my three GTX275s won't fit", so for me, it's a loser.
To be honest that depends more on the placement of the PCI-e slots on the motherboard. The Rampage II Extreme would fall into your post yes, but something like the Rampage III Extreme, would be able to fit 3 dual slotted GPU's in a 7 slotted case such as this one. I ran into this issue with my HAF-932 and my RIIE.
you're right, it does depend on the pcie spacing on the mobo, but by my not-scientific by any means count, there are more mobos with the last PCIe slot hanging off the mobo (requiring an 8 slot case) than there are mobos that have the correct spacing for a 7 slot case.

BrianG
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:40 pm
Location: Southern California
Contact:

Re: NZXT Phantom Black E-ATX Full Tower Case Review

Post by BrianG » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:11 pm

jebo_4jc wrote:I couldn't disagree more with the conclusion of this article.

Any "enthusiast" case that only has 7 expansion slots is just dumb to me.

You'll never get three GPUs in there. And you can rule out the nicer mobos out there like the Gigabyte UD7 or eVGA 4x SLI or SR2.

I would agree with everything said in the article, except my conclusion would be "except I can't use this case because my three GTX275s won't fit", so for me, it's a loser.
There are many choices when it comes to "Enthusiast" cases, you can get the exact case that fits your needs.

But to tell readers that this case "is a loser" because it doesn't work for you, or that it is "Dumb" because it doesn't work for you, is way too biased. Doing research and planning for any changes to a system should be a no brainer for most "Enthusiasts".

User avatar
skier
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4450
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:29 pm
Location: Maine
Contact:

Re: NZXT Phantom Black E-ATX Full Tower Case Review

Post by skier » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:04 pm

jebo_4jc wrote:
InspectahACE wrote:
jebo_4jc wrote:I couldn't disagree more with the conclusion of this article.

Any "enthusiast" case that only has 7 expansion slots is just dumb to me.

You'll never get three GPUs in there. And you can rule out the nicer mobos out there like the Gigabyte UD7 or eVGA 4x SLI or SR2.

I would agree with everything said in the article, except my conclusion would be "except I can't use this case because my three GTX275s won't fit", so for me, it's a loser.
To be honest that depends more on the placement of the PCI-e slots on the motherboard. The Rampage II Extreme would fall into your post yes, but something like the Rampage III Extreme, would be able to fit 3 dual slotted GPU's in a 7 slotted case such as this one. I ran into this issue with my HAF-932 and my RIIE.
you're right, it does depend on the pcie spacing on the mobo, but by my not-scientific by any means count, there are more mobos with the last PCIe slot hanging off the mobo (requiring an 8 slot case) than there are mobos that have the correct spacing for a 7 slot case.
I just love how you mentioned an SR2 won't fit, as there are no mainstream cases that the board will fit into

and if you need more slots, buy a different case. simple as that. doesn't make this a bad case, even for users with a singleslot physX card under high end crossfire/SLI. and do you actually run triple 275s? why not upgrade to dual or even single fermi? you would get more performance than those old dogs
-Austin
Image
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups

Post Reply