EVGA X79 Classified E779 Motherboard Pictured At GeForce LAN

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

EVGA X79 Classified E779 Motherboard Pictured At GeForce LAN

Post by Apoptosis »

EVGA X79 Classified E779 Motherboard Pictured At GeForce LAN 6

EVGA is one of the sponsors of GeForce LAN 6 and they just got done doing a presentation where they showed off one of the companies upcoming Intel X79 Express motherboards for the yet to be released Sandy Bridge-E CPU. We got a chance to check out the EVGA X79 Classified motherboard and took some pictures, so you could see it too!

Article Title: EVGA X79 Classified E779 Motherboard Pictured At GeForce LAN 6
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1746/1/
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Harm Millaard
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Re: EVGA X79 Classified E779 Motherboard Pictured At GeForce

Post by Harm Millaard »

A good effort by EVGA, but I'm still a bit disappointed by a number of limitations:

Only 4 SATA2 and 2 SATA3 connectors. With two SATA burners the internal disk capacity is limited to 4 disks only.
Only 4 DIMM slots and not 8.
The lack of a firewire port.

I guess we have to wait a bit longer for a full featured version of a top notch mobo that has 8 DIMM slots, and 6 SATA3 or more connectors plus a FW400 connector.

BTW, is there any news about cases that house this new format mobo?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Just curious, but why is everyone wanting 8 memory slots so very badly?

Not many people are going to be running 64gb of memory.

When it comes to decent enthusiast memory the best deal is Corsair. When I mean enthusiast I am talking about DDR3 memory featuring 1600MHz, CL9 timings and 1.5 Volts. You can get two packs of Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 1600MHz memory for $99.99 shipped.

So for $200 shipped you can buy two kits and get 32GB of system memory on an 8 slot board.

Corsair announced a 32GB kit for high-end users that is 32GB (4 x 8GB) with 1866MHz clock speeds, CL9 timings and 1.5 Volts for $999. If you wanted two of those kits for 64GB of memory you are looking at $2000...

Just curious if people are going for 32GB here or 64GB. I think most people would be happy with a 16GB kit for 2011/2012. Unless they wanted to do Ram cache or something.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Tator Tot
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Tator Tot »

Unless you're really turning your Socket 2011 system into a server or workstation running multiple VM's; 8GB is going to suffice for most users (which means you can recycle your old Socket 1366 kit and grab an extra 2GB stick.)
Harm Millaard
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Harm Millaard »

64 GB RAM (8 x 8GB) is still way overpriced, but 32 GB (8 x 4GB) is very affordable and for use with After Effects, Premiere Pro, Vue Infinite, Maja and the like 32 GB is about minimum. My current system has only 24 GB and is occasionally starved for memory. That is why I find it disappointing that there are only 4 DIMM slots.

In comparison to the Gigabyte UD-7 the lack of SATA connections is a very serious handicap, make or break for me. I can't use a 4 x SSD Raid10 for boot on SATA3, 2 x raid0 for pagefile and scratch and 2 BD burners on this board next to a 16 disk raid30. Add to that the lack of FW400 that is required for capturing HDV material and this is not the board for me. Too limited.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

To me the board is aimed more to the gamer crowd, you need a workstation class board.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson