Phanteks PH-TC14PE CPU Cooler Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Today we are looking at a new offering from a company you might not have heard of before, Phanteks. There has been some buzz about their first HSF offering, the PH-TC14PE. It is a twin tower twin 140mm fan CPU air cooler. Join us as we see how well the Phanteks PH-TC14PE CPU cooler handles our Intel Core i7-930 test system and if its worth of the buzz that brought it to our attention.

In all of our testing the Phanteks PH-TC14PE did very well. Leaving all air coolers behind and giving the Corsair H100 a run for the best performing cooler in our charts. I don't have anything truly bad to say about the Phanteks PH-TC14PE other than its not on sale state side yet, only in Europe.
Article Title: Phanteks PH-TC14PE CPU Cooler Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1759/1/
Pricing At time of Print: 79.90 EUR
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Phanteks PH-TC14PE CPU Cooler Review

Post by Kaos Kid »

That's $114 US...Sorta cool but for that kind of money I'd probably still go with the Corsair H100. Of course by the time they get US distributors the price could drop considerably too, just depends on how well it is received in Europe.
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

I wouldn't look at conversion rates to figure the price. You can pick up a Noctua NH-D14 on the egg for $86 shipped. Overseas looking at around 73 EURO ($103) less shipping.

Will be interesting to see where the price does end up, but I would figure around the $80 mark like the Noctua.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

Kaos Kid wrote:That's $114 US...Sorta cool but for that kind of money I'd probably still go with the Corsair H100. Of course by the time they get US distributors the price could drop considerably too, just depends on how well it is received in Europe.
As Bubba said: Don't worry about conversion - in $US it will likely to be about the same in numbers as the euros (ex. EU89=$89).

It would of been nice to see some more coolers in the charts (noctua, corsairA70 or A50 etc.)and see the temps with the cooler faced upwards (there is usually some diference). Otherwise, I do like the review and the cooler looks awesome. I wonder what difference would be from a little lapping of the base? :ANAL:
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
Tator Tot
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Tator Tot »

Lapping the base usually helps a good bit; but you need to lap the CPU too. And that becomes time consuming and annoying sometimes.

It can also cause unlapped coolers to perform poorly at times.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Not sure if you saw what I added on page 2:

The Phanteks CPU coolers and fans will be available at Newegg, Tigerdirect, and Amazon here in North America sometime around the middle of November. The pricing on these coolers will be as follows:

standard color (white) at $89.99 MSRP
color editions (orange/red/blue) at $99.99 MSRP
all color fans at $24.99 MSRP
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Athlonite
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Athlonite »

Just WOW I love the color scheme now if only the fans were just white with different colored LEDs instead
great performance but hows it stack up against the D14 which is what I take this to be aiming at competing with

and nice to finally see a shot showing dimms of the tall variety and dimm slot overhang THANKYOU =D>
Asus Crosshair V Formula
AMD FX 8320 @ 3700MHz NB/HT @ 2600MHZ
2x 4GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 C9
1x Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 9550MHz core 1250MHz mem
1x Pioneer DVD-RW DVR212S SATA
2x Samsung HD502IJ 16MB cache 7200rpm raid0
1x Samsung HD502IJ 16MB cache 7200rpm storage
1x WD2500AAJS 8MB cache 7200rpm storage
Thermolab Baram 1 x 120mm CM R4 90cfm 2000rpm 1x SilverStone 120mm AP 1500rpm 37.5cfm
SilverStone ST75F-P 750W PSU Full Modular
SilverStone RaVeN RV02B-W
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Athlonite wrote:Just WOW I love the color scheme now if only the fans were just white with different colored LEDs instead
great performance but hows it stack up against the D14 which is what I take this to be aiming at competing with
I had misplace my D14 (or I thought) but I put it in system and forgot about it. I have since swapped it for something else. Not sure when I can squeeze it in to redo the D14 on the current system.
Athlonite wrote:and nice to finally see a shot showing dimms of the tall variety and dimm slot overhang THANKYOU =D>
Got Nate to get me some of the RAM for images just like that. You would be amazed how many times I get "can X ram fit with Y cooler"
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Athlonite
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Athlonite »

Thanks Bubba seeing as most third party coolers these days are aimed at the enthusiast as is most high end ram which generally doesn't come on stock green PCB's and have some rather large heat spreaders attached it's nice to see how it affects the use of these non standard dimms

although I do wish the cooler makers would take into account the height of some high end dimms before designing their HSF's and either increase the height between the lowest fins and base it's not a hard thing to do Tuniq did it with the tower 120 I had no problems with my Corsair DHX heat spreaders same with my current Baram the front fan is 1mm higher than the top of the HS
Asus Crosshair V Formula
AMD FX 8320 @ 3700MHz NB/HT @ 2600MHZ
2x 4GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 C9
1x Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 9550MHz core 1250MHz mem
1x Pioneer DVD-RW DVR212S SATA
2x Samsung HD502IJ 16MB cache 7200rpm raid0
1x Samsung HD502IJ 16MB cache 7200rpm storage
1x WD2500AAJS 8MB cache 7200rpm storage
Thermolab Baram 1 x 120mm CM R4 90cfm 2000rpm 1x SilverStone 120mm AP 1500rpm 37.5cfm
SilverStone ST75F-P 750W PSU Full Modular
SilverStone RaVeN RV02B-W