GeForce GTX 580 Showdown: ASUS Matrix vs.EVGA Classified

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Not too many people have over $500 to spend on a video card, but for those fortunate to be able to there are there are a fair number of options to pick from. When it comes to spending that much money on a video card there are two companies you'll want to take a closer look at: ASUS and EVGA. The cards sent to Legit Reviews for review were the ASUS MATRIX GTX580 1536MB (P/2DIS/1536MD5) and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 Classified 3072MB (3G-P3-1588-AR).

After spending several weeks with the ASUS MATRIX GeForce GTX580 Platinum and the EVGA GeForce GTX 580 Classified 3072MB we quickly discovered that both video cards are outstanding examples of what the engineers at each company can do. Both designs differ greatly from the reference NVIDIA design and that was fine with us as we didn't miss any features of the reference card...
Article Title: GeForce GTX 580 Showdown: ASUS Matrix vs.EVGA Classified
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1802/1/
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Z999z3mystorys
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Re: GeForce GTX 580 Showdown: ASUS Matrix vs.EVGA Classified

Post by Z999z3mystorys »

Heh, and just yesterday EVGA released there GTX 580 Classified Ultra:
http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.a ... Family&sw=

What timing :)

Also the difference in memory size, given that the lowest priced GTX 580 1.5 GB is $500, and the lowest 3.0GB is $550 (On newegg), that could mean that $50 of the $70 difference is from the ram size alone, so if there was a 1.5 GB classified, or a 3.0GB matrix the relative difference in price would be about $20. making it $20 for a lifetime warranty, 29mhz core, 98mhz memory (196mhz effective) overclock and being two slots instead of 3( meaning 3/4way SLI is viable)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

yeah I saw that, but it's the same exact card with a 900MHz core clock for $20 more... Seeing how our card got up to nearly 950MHz on air is it really with paying extra for a 900MHz card for $20 more. Notice the memory speed is the same.

Not that impressed as it's up to $620 now. The AMD Radeon HD 7970 is rumored to be around $600 and --- er wait I can't talk about performance.
Follow Me on Twitter!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

EVGA... a poster?!?!?!?!? Seriously? What 13 year old is going to get a $500+ video card? I doubt anybody would hang that up.

The bundles are pathetic. When I put together a computer for a friend a few months back the A8-3850 came with a free copy of DiRT 2. So now a CPU has better game bundle than a $500+ video card.

Get with Valve and offer owners a voucher for a video game. How hard would that be?
eunoia
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by eunoia »

Apoptosis wrote:The AMD Radeon HD 7970 is rumored to be around $600 and --- er wait I can't talk about performance.
Awwwwwwww. :P
No one would talk much in society, if he knew how often he misunderstands others. - Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe (1749-1832)
CoachAub
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by CoachAub »

Great review of some great cards. I was wondering how you would pick a winner. You used the OC results to help decide, so what were the temps on OC? Did the temps compare the same as the stock temps? I'm guessing the twin fans were able to run at lower rpms over the single and move just as much air.
Rig#1: Intel i5-3570K, MSI-B75MA-P45 mobo, G-Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 2x4gb, MSI-7870 2gd5t/oc gpu, Tt TR2-600w psu, Tt Commander Snow ed. Case, Cooler Master Hyper212+ HSF, OCZ Agility3 SSD 120GB, WE Caviar Black 750GB
Rig#2: AMD Phenom 2-970, MSI-890FXA-GD-65 mobo, 6GB Geil DDR3-1333, HIS Radeon HD6870 1GB gpu, Antec Quattro-850 psu, Rosewill Conqueror Case, Zalman CNPS-9500 hsf, 1TB Toshiba Sata3 HD
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

CoachAub wrote:Great review of some great cards. I was wondering how you would pick a winner. You used the OC results to help decide, so what were the temps on OC? Did the temps compare the same as the stock temps? I'm guessing the twin fans were able to run at lower rpms over the single and move just as much air.
As stated in the review the fans were put to 100% and we went for the max oc. Didn't bother looking at temps as I wasn't temp limited by either of the really.
Follow Me on Twitter!
SargeSaunders
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by SargeSaunders »

Nice Job on the review, I've been using a pair of the Asus is SLI for the past 3 months. I like your methodology for selecting a winner and felt the need to comment on how quiet the ASUS cards are.

I have my system setup on an open techbench on my desktop and use a Corsair H60 for CPU cooling. These cards are whisper quiet with more noise coming from the Corsair than the video cards under load. There is no comparison to the pair of 5870's I was running before. As you pointed out as tripple slot solutions make sure you pick the right MB I find the Rampage III extreme really fit the bill and with both made by ASUS the color schemes work great.

Nice Site and keep up the great real world reviews