The Future of Computer Memory: 2GB+

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Gundersausage
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Gundersausage »

toyota wrote:
Toyota wrote:
you dont understand memory. 2gb in single OR dual channel is still 2gb. 1gb is NOT equal to 2gb in dual channel. dual channel does slightly increase performance over single channel.
Actually sounds like you dont have a clue, 1GB in single channel is equal to 2GB (1GB in each Channel) in total memory, and all you get is a lousy 3 to 5% performance increase, so you can remove your foot from your mouth now [/quote]
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Gundersausage wrote:
toyota wrote:
Toyota wrote:
you dont understand memory. 2gb in single OR dual channel is still 2gb. 1gb is NOT equal to 2gb in dual channel. dual channel does slightly increase performance over single channel.
Actually sounds like you dont have a clue, 1GB in single channel is equal to 2GB (1GB in each Channel) in total memory, and all you get is a lousy 3 to 5% performance increase, so you can remove your foot from your mouth now
Pls treat your fellow members with a bit of respect!!!!

Gundersausage, you seem to have probs too with how memory works......
YES dual channel will give 3-5% performance....
Gundersausage wrote:1GB in single channel is equal to 2GB (1GB in each Channel) in total memory
?????????? Can you clarify what you said here?

1 GB in single channel means you are using either 1x 1GB stick or 2x 512mb sticks in slots which don't support dual channel.....It's still 1GB

Same for 2GB.....thats either 2x 1GB sticks or 4x512mb sticks, except with 4x 512mb sticks you will be running dual channel
Kerii
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kerii »

:iamwithstupid: (not you ken :P )

In other news, 1 + 1 now equals 1. :P

2GBs of memory means 2GBs memory any way you slice it.

Don't know what you're thinking, but those extra slots are not for redundancy (besides, there are more efficient methods of error correction), and even if they were, that wouldn't improve performance one iota.

Those extra slots are there to add capacity, and by allowing the CPU to communicate with both modules simultaneously, the CPU can send/recieve data 128 bits at a time (as opposed to 64 bits at a time in single channel), thus boosting performance in memory intensive apps.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

You tell 'em Kerii ;)
Gundersausage
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Gundersausage »

kenc51 wrote:
Gundersausage wrote:
toyota wrote:
Pls treat your fellow members with a bit of respect!!!!
I did, the same amount he gave me.. dont call down the thunder then whine about a little rain
Gundersausage
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Gundersausage »

Kerii wrote::iamwithstupid: (not you ken :P )

In other news, 1 + 1 now equals 1. :P

2GBs of memory means 2GBs memory any way you slice it.

Don't know what you're thinking, but those extra slots are not for redundancy (besides, there are more efficient methods of error correction), and even if they were, that wouldn't improve performance one iota.

Those extra slots are there to add capacity, and by allowing the CPU to communicate with both modules simultaneously, the CPU can send/recieve data 128 bits at a time (as opposed to 64 bits at a time in single channel), thus boosting performance in memory intensive apps.
I would explain it but whats the use, you dont seem to be able to grasp the concept so just go on thinking you have doubled capacity when in dual channel mode... I'm sure it will "feel" like twice as much :)
Kerii
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kerii »

Gundersausage wrote:I would explain it but whats the use, you dont seem to be able to grasp the concept so just go on thinking you have doubled capacity when in dual channel mode... I'm sure it will "feel" like twice as much :)
Who said Dual Channel doubles capacity?

I think you need to work on your reading comprehension. :P

I (and everyone else) said that an extra identical memory module doubles capacity, dual channel is just a free bonus for having a matched pair.

And please, do explain, I love creative writing. :mrgreen:
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

dual channel doubbles the effective bandwidth. It makes the two sticks look like one REALLY BIG ONE, with TWICE THE BANDWIDTH.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Gundersausage
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Gundersausage »

Kerii wrote:
Gundersausage wrote:I would explain it but whats the use, you dont seem to be able to grasp the concept so just go on thinking you have doubled capacity when in dual channel mode... I'm sure it will "feel" like twice as much :)
Who said Dual Channel doubles capacity?

I think you need to work on your reading comprehension. :P

I (and everyone else) said that an extra identical memory module doubles capacity, dual channel is just a free bonus for having a matched pair.

And please, do explain, I love creative writing. :mrgreen:
More backflips than a chinese gymnast
Strid3r-
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Good lord

Post by Strid3r- »

I thought that I understood how dual channel ram works, however now I really don't think I do seeing the back and forth on this thread about upcoming system requirements (?!?!).

Let me know if I'm right on this, otherwise let me know what's wrong...

No matter if you're running in dual channel or nor if you buy 2 GB of physical memory you're only running 2 GB of RAM (regardless of what others said above).

Dual Channel doesn't double capacity it only increases the data transfer rate.

So...Is this an accurate order of speed (all having the same capacity) starting with the slowest.

2 GB (4x512 or 2x1GB)
2 GB Dual Channel 4x512
2 GB Dual Channel 2x1GB

IF someone who really knows ram could sum up the side notes of this forum into a true/false kind of thing it would make it a lot less hairy.
AMD 64 3500+ (Venice)
eVGA 131-K8-NF44-AX NF4 SLI Mobo
2 GB Patriot DDR400
eVGA 7600GS
Kerii
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Good lord

Post by Kerii »

Strid3r- wrote:Let me know if I'm right on this, otherwise let me know what's wrong...

No matter if you're running in dual channel or nor if you buy 2 GB of physical memory you're only running 2 GB of RAM (regardless of what others said above).

Dual Channel doesn't double capacity it only increases the data transfer rate.

So...Is this an accurate order of speed (all having the same capacity) starting with the slowest.

2 GB (4x512 or 2x1GB)
2 GB Dual Channel 4x512
2 GB Dual Channel 2x1GB.
Yeah, I think that all checks out. :P

A picture's worth a thousand words though, so maybe a chart (I'm feeling generous today) would help. :mrgreen:

The transparent sticks representing empty memory slots, and the blue lines representing data channels.

First is a motherboard with only Single Channel capability, second is one with Dual Channel capability but in a Single Channel configuration, and the third is a Dual Channel motherboard in a Dual Channel configuration.

And then there's

Apparently 1GB + 1GB = Super 1GB. :-k

That's about all I can make out from his posts because he won't explain it since we "don't seem to be able to grasp the concept". :P

Well... you make your own decision what to believe. :P
Last edited by Kerii on Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Strid3r-
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Yep

Post by Strid3r- »

Okay, thanks.
AMD 64 3500+ (Venice)
eVGA 131-K8-NF44-AX NF4 SLI Mobo
2 GB Patriot DDR400
eVGA 7600GS