CES 2006: OCZ's Cryo-Z Phase Change Cooler

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
R3N3G4D3
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by R3N3G4D3 »

gvblake22 wrote:
kenc51 wrote:The Mach II goes for ~$800......How can OCZ make something to compete with that? Even if they sell it for $400.....

It must have a smaller compressor.....I doubt it will go as low as -40C
I have a feeling it will work like a good peltier block, mayby down to -20C....

If we see the ECT Prometeia Mach 2 drop in price considerably over the next few months, then mayby OCZ is onto something.....

my2cent
Ok, I'm obviously missing something here, but how would -40º be any better than -20º?!
They are both so cold that I would imagine you are quickly approaching the point of diminishing returns....
It's all about bragging rights :P
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

R3N3G4D3 wrote:It's all about bragging rights :P
I don't buy that...
No one would spend $800 on a cooling system just to be able to say they spent $800 on cooling :roll:
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

I know a few people that got them just to say that they have them. They don't even OC any higher than I do with my water cooling........... 8) And I'm sure that there are a bunch more poor little rich boys out the the same way.
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

Bio-Hazard wrote:I know a few people that got them just to say that they have them. They don't even OC any higher than I do with my water cooling........... 8) And I'm sure that there are a bunch more poor little rich boys out the the same way.
:shock: :|

*shakes head in disappointment*
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

gvblake22 wrote:
kenc51 wrote:The Mach II goes for ~$800......How can OCZ make something to compete with that? Even if they sell it for $400.....

If we see the ECT Prometeia Mach 2 drop in price considerably over the next few months, then mayby OCZ is onto something.....

my2cent
Ok, I'm obviously missing something here, but how would -40� be any better than -20�?!
They are both so cold that I would imagine you are quickly approaching the point of diminishing returns....
-40C will be WITHOUT any cpu on the block.....so that would be -20C under load
If it does -20C without a cpu, then under load it could be near 0C
I doubt 0C is enough to add ALOT more vcore.......If it was -20C under load then I'd think about adding 1.7v+ vcore........
We'll see when it comes out.....
I need to stop looking at this thread......I don't need phase change, can't afford it, but it's soo tempting!! LOL
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

kenc51 wrote:
gvblake22 wrote:

my2cent
Ok, I'm obviously missing something here, but how would -40� be any better than -20�?!
-40C will be WITHOUT any cpu on the block.....so that would be -20C under load
If it does -20C without a cpu, then under load it could be near 0C
I doubt 0C is enough to add ALOT more vcore.......If it was -20C under load then I'd think about adding 1.7v+ vcore........
We'll see when it comes out.....
I need to stop looking at this thread......I don't need phase change, can't afford it, but it's soo tempting!! LOL
Ok, yeah, but even going from 0º to -20º or even -40º, is there really that much of a gain?! I mean, you can argue that maybe the atoms and stuff in the silicon are closer together and the electrons fire faster or something when it is colder, but how much difference can all that really even make??
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

It all depends.....
Vstrom posted a link
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview ... erthread=y

A chip should always scale well with added vcore.....If it doesn't the chip is a bad design and shouldn't have gone into production......The problem is that, as you know more vcore can/will kill a cpu....

If you can hit sub-zero temps you have a better chance of getting good returns for added vcore....
The above link aslo explains how vcore alone will/can kill a chip, even with sub-zero temps.....the Intel guy says vcore is waay more dangerous than heat.......

Nordic hardware done an article Overclocking Athlon 64 FX-57 It gives you an idea how a chip scales with lower temps and more vcore.......

In the end.....I wait for someone else to buy this and let them be guinea pig......Or if I ever decide to get a Intel preiser chip :p
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

So it just basically adds the possibility to increase vcore, to eventually get a better overclock. But, like you said, you are still increasing the vcore to dangerious levels, no matter what the temperature. I guess if you have that much to spend on a cooling system, you don't bother with keeping a chip long enough for it to get burned out with too much vcore :roll: :lol:

I just didn't know if there was more to it than that. Thanks ken :)
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

that's all it is......the further you go from stock the bigger the risks.....sub-zero cooling just allows you to go further....(increasing risks)

That's why I'm unsure about the whoe phase change thing....OC'in is one thing....it's a calculated risk....I'm also a greedy OC'er......So if I went phase...I know I'll kill my proc....
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

kenc51 wrote:......So if I went phase...I know I'll kill my proc....
HAHA, yeah, aint that the truth! :rolleyes:
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

you greedy greedy mofo's, lol

I'm conservative in OCing, and I figure if I can get at least, say, 300-400 MHz OC out of a chip, I'm happy....which I guess is why I'm only deciding on high-end air for now (XP-90C w/ a Delta high-flow fan).....when I get more greedy, I'll get something more expensive, lol :rolleyes:
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

killswitch83 wrote:you greedy greedy mofo's, lol

I'm conservative in OCing, and I figure if I can get at least, say, 300-400 MHz OC out of a chip, I'm happy....which I guess is why I'm only deciding on high-end air for now (XP-90C w/ a Delta high-flow fan).....when I get more greedy, I'll get something more expensive, lol :rolleyes:
Your not infected yet!!! OC'in is a bug...It eats away @ you....slowly but surely it gets you.....It's fun....and doesn't have to be expensive, no wait my bank balance says otherwise.. lol
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

haha, just ask Joe....he got so much so that he wanted to reduce his temps by removing the IHS on his opty, tsk tsk, killed it deader than dirt too, rofl

yeah I'm not infected with the OC bug yet, but I think that'll change when I decide to OC the video card.......I'm a sucker for hellacious eye-candy, lol
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Something to keep in mind.... the temp sensor is nowhere near the head on these things..... its back a ways, so the reported temperatures are not accurate and can be off as much as 20C.

If they are saying 20C, then you need to know if thats the BIOS reported, or accurate temperature..... or if thats the temperature the unit is reporting.
Bigedmond
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Bigedmond »

Well my prescott not overclocked with the huge heat pipe i have still runs at 40C. higher when under load from gaming. Its an intel, so i expect it to run hot. Not, say i spend 300 on this unit, and get my temps under load to 0C, then id be happy. then i would consider OC it.

I personnaly dont care about -40 vs -20. I just want to get the temp on my system down, so i can pull a few fans, and but down the aircraft engine sound i get from the lower right of my desk.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Big Toe was seeing those numbers from the temp sensor that the mobo uses.
chakhay2000
Legit User
Legit User

Post by chakhay2000 »

man, what i wouldn't do to get my hands on this baby...
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

you and the rest of us... they had better deliver because i need like 10 :)
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
werewolfdaddy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by werewolfdaddy »

kenc51 wrote:
audiophile wrote:how heavy is it?
Too heavy for a LAN party if that's what your thinking....
Not if you're either a power lifter or use a dolly. ;)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

OCZ informed me that they have these units made and are sitting in China because they can't find a way to ship the gas legally to the united states from China... Just an update if anyone is wondering what is going on with these suckers.