AMD Trinity A10-4600M Laptop APU Review - Piledriver Arrives

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

AMD has been talking about their 2nd-Generation A-Series Accelerated Processing Unit (APU), codenamed “Trinity”, for well over a year. This week it shouldn't come to a surprise to any of our faithful readers that AMD has finally launched this new APU! Read on to see how the AMD A10-4600M processor performs against notebooks powered by the Intel Ivy Bridge processor and AMD Llano APU!

After using the AMD Trinity reference notebook we found it to be a very satisfying experience. AMD's new Piledriver-based Trinity APU delivers where it needs to and that is all one can ask of a mainstream processor. Sure, we wish AMD processors had a little more x86 muscle for when we need to render a video or crunch numbers, but we don't often do that on our notebook...
Article Title: AMD Trinity A10-4600M Laptop APU Review - Piledriver Arrives
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1931/1/
MSRP: $699
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Velo:Sity

Re: AMD Trinity A10-4600M Laptop APU Review - Piledriver Arr

Post by Velo:Sity »

Trinity seems to fit my needs very well if I was looking for a laptop now... Wonder what the actual prices will be like... AMD might do the unthinkable and start dominating the laptop market! 8)
Drguns4Hands
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Re: AMD Trinity A10-4600M Laptop APU Review - Piledriver Arr

Post by Drguns4Hands »

Great review but I think you might have made a mistake. You incorrectly called the Memory performance Issue a Memory controller problem. It's actually a Memory Speed vs. Cas problem in otherwords it's in the sticks not the controller. Clock cycle time is 1/frequency so DDR3 would be 1/666.66(half because it's double data ram)= 1.5ns running at cas 9 would be (9x1.5= 13.5ns) number of clock cycles delayed x transfer speed in ns = theoretical transfer rate. DDR3 1600 is 1.25ns times a cas of 11 (11x1.25=13.75ns) so technically your ram is slower because it takes .25ns longer to run the data through it. Retry with the 1333 ram in the Trinity and I bet you get different results. My main question is why do they always include such garbage ram with these pc's; ddr3 1600 cas 9 cost is almost identical to cas 11. I'm running DDR3 1600 at cas 7 (7x1.25=8.75ns) on my gaming rig with some overclocking.

Memory Speed vs. Latency comparison chart:
http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=160

Detailed RAM timing Article
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/ ... mings/26/1