AMD Never Settle Game Bundle & Catalyst 12.11 Driver Results

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

AMD Never Settle Game Bundle & Catalyst 12.11 Driver Results

Post by Apoptosis »

AMD Never Settle Game Bundle & Catalyst 12.11 Driver Performance

Today, AMD is making two big announcements. First, they are announcing some very impressive game bundles for those that are looking to buy a Radeon HD graphics card this fall and holiday shopping season. Secondly, they are announcing 'The Never Settle Driver' (Catalyst 12.11) that offers significant performance improvements in pretty much every game and benchmark available. Read on to find out more about both!

If you purchase an AMD Radeon HD 7970 or 7950 graphics card you'll get three game titles; Sleeping Dogs, Far Cry 3, and Hitman: Absolution. You also get a 20% discount code valid through EA's Origin site. This is the crème de la crème when it comes to the Never Settle game bundles and is valued at ~$170 when you figure in the full MSRP of the game titles and discount voucher value. We did a quick price search and the lowest priced AMD Radeon HD 7950 video card is the Power Color AX7950 at $279.99 plus shipping after a $20 rebate. To get three good game titles and a discount for Medal of Honor: Warfighter is pretty damn impressive. You spend ~$280 and then you get roughly $150 in game titles. Hard to go wrong there...
Article Title: AMD Never Settle Game Bundle & Catalyst 12.11 Driver Performance
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2059/1/
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: AMD Never Settle Game Bundle & Catalyst 12.11 Driver Res

Post by sbohdan »

9-11% performance increase for free?! Nice! The performance increase is almost like a new generation card release! Way to go AMD!
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Couple questions if you can answer them...

1) Did AMD tell you to look or test only certain games? Seems like this driver update was released like a new product.

2) Where exactly do you think the performance is coming from? Does this mean they are actually using the right drivers for the cards and the old ones were junk? Or is there something else going on here, i.e. rendering tweaks?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Major_A wrote:Couple questions if you can answer them...

1) Did AMD tell you to look or test only certain games? Seems like this driver update was released like a new product.

2) Where exactly do you think the performance is coming from? Does this mean they are actually using the right drivers for the cards and the old ones were junk? Or is there something else going on here, i.e. rendering tweaks?
1) AMD gave me the driver late last week with the slides in todays review and said do what you want. I had the option of do whatever I wanted. Since I just got done reviewing the Sapphire 7970 and this driver was going to ruin all the game performance charts I figured I'd update drivers and re-run all my usual tests. Something I should do on all the AMD cards. If I'm going to do all that work I might as well make an article of it and get some traffic out of it. I've done this over the years on other driver releases - http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1253/1/ and http://www.legitreviews.com/article/558/1/

2) AMD told me that they were under utilizing the cores and that they made memory cache improvements. Beyond that and denying shader swaps I was told nothing else. I asked for a list of changes several times and was never given one.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Thanks for the quick answers. Kind of makes you wonder how much performance is left on the table for cards that aren't directly worked on.
INeedAFnSuffix
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by INeedAFnSuffix »

I can now say i am very impressed with the 7000 series. VERY. 8)