Cougar PowerX 550W Power Supply Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Our first encounter with Cougar finds us testing one of their most popular products, the PowerX 550W power supply. With a power output of 550W and an 80Plus Bronze certification, the PowerX will obviously not be taking on the high-end products of the competition but rather focus on the mainstream market, where the largest percentage of gamers and everyday users lie.

The Cougar PowerX 550W power supply obviously is a product designed to entice users into upgrading from a cheap unit of unknown (and, usually, extremely poor) quality to one of acceptable quality and performance standards. Considering that the MSRP of the power supply is just $69.99 and that the actual retail price usually is quite lower than the MSRP, the PowerX 550W might actually be a very good deal for casual users and gamers on a very tight budget. On the other hand however, the saying "you get what you pay for" fits perfectly in this case...
Article Title: Cougar PowerX 550W Power Supply Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2125/1/
Pricing At Time of Print: $69.99 MSRP
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
INeedAFnSuffix
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: Cougar PowerX 550W Power Supply Review

Post by INeedAFnSuffix »

Maybe taking a look at the Cougar CMX V2 (Yes the 2nd version!) you might be impressed but then and again i still think the CMX is a pretty mediocre unit :\ the redeeming feature is the awesome orange case
Compared to a Seasonic, this one seems to have a weak output filter but 84mV is still okay actually but i would rather have a Seasonic S12II-520 simply because they have a 5 year warranty and awesome output filtering :)
If i recall all cougar units are 5 year warranty, i'm not sure if you would still use your power supply by the 3 year mark but it's nice to have reassurance if it does break