ASUS Vivobook S500CA 15.6 inch Ultrabook Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Are you looking for an affordable Intel Ultrabook that features Windows 8 with Touch? The ASUS VivoBook S500 just launched this week and is an entry level 15.4" Intel Ultrabook that is loaded with features and costs under $700 shipped. Read on to see how the ASUS VivoBook S500 Ultrabook performs with an Intel Core i5-3317U processor, 6GB DDR3 memory, 500GB 5400RPM hard drive and 24GB SSD for caching purposes.

Article Title: ASUS Vivobook S500CA 15.6 inch Ultrabook Review
Article URL: http://legitreviews.com/article/2151/1/
Pricing At Time of Print: $699.00 Shipped at Amazon
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Thunder350
Legit User
Legit User

Re: ASUS Vivobook S500CA 15.6 inch Ultrabook Review

Post by Thunder350 »

I was looking at a few Ultrabooks and this was one of them, but I'm curious to know how the Intel HD Graphics 4000 handles games. I'm not expecting to run Crysis 3 at max detail, but I'd still love to be able to play an occasional game or two. (Battlefield 3, League of Legends, etc). Some of the other Ultrabooks I was looking at (while less visually appealing then the Vivobook) had a AMD 7500G, 7750G, or a 8550M, which I've had a hard time finding benchmarks for as well. Hopefully someone could provide some insight on this for me. :)
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

Is there a possibility to exchange the HDD to an SSD? Is the SATA interface compatible? If yes, then what size - the 2.5" or the 1.8"?
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

sbohdan wrote:Is there a possibility to exchange the HDD to an SSD? Is the SATA interface compatible? If yes, then what size - the 2.5" or the 1.8"?
Yup, it uses a 2.5" SATA drive (7mm z-height), so you can swap it out with a faster SSD.
Follow Me on Twitter!
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

I have one more remark:
I find it amazing, to see a brand new ultrabook, with all the newest high-tech technology, with Win.8 and touchscreen etc. (not just this netbook) and have a built in card reader, that uses 13 year old technology (USB 2.0 introduced in Apr. 2000)! This is especially amazing, since more than half of the available SD cards are way faster, than 30MB/s...
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Might be a cost thing but I'm with you...USB 3.0 is backwards compatible so why bother with 2.0?
Joe
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

sbohdan wrote:I have one more remark:
I find it amazing, to see a brand new ultrabook, with all the newest high-tech technology, with Win.8 and touchscreen etc. (not just this netbook) and have a built in card reader, that uses 13 year old technology (USB 2.0 introduced in Apr. 2000)! This is especially amazing, since more than half of the available SD cards are way faster, than 30MB/s...
I agree, but does any Ultrabook use a USB 3.0 SD card reader?
Follow Me on Twitter!
kseabroo
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by kseabroo »

Hi there,

I just wanted to provide some feedback to those who may be considering the Asus S500CA. I spent a lot of time honing my search for an ultra portable 15". It basically boiled down to this machine or a Samsung. Based on the price difference, I went with Asus. I'd also had really good experience with Asus motherboards in the past.

I picked it up from B&H Photo for 650. Great deal, right? Well, let's just say that it is not just componentry that suffers with a price this low. The build quality is terrible. My machine had black dirt between the glass panel and the LED display. Not dead pixels, dirt. I don't know how this could have gotten past QA, but then again, there were other more minor quality issues like screw covers glue out of place that make it very clear this machine passed by no QA eyes whatsoever.

I wasn't overly fussed as I heard Asus has comprehensive warranty support. Well, again, a big disappointment. After a week, Asus confirmed they would send me a replacement laptop, as the repair parts would take too long (outside their 5-7 day return window). The next week, they changed their minds, and decided I *would* have to wait for the parts to come in....no replacement for me.... my time is not that important right?

2+ weeks later, and still no laptop, no forecast from Asus, and very little from Asus except "regrets".

Let me assure you, Asus, the regrets are all mine.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Any images of the dirt in the display? Never heard of that before.
Follow Me on Twitter!