Sapphire Radeon HD 7790 2GB OC Edition Video Card Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Last week Sapphire Technology became the first company to offer a Radeon HD 7790 series of graphics cards with 2GB of GDDR5 memory. We take Sapphire's overclocked Radeon HD 7790 video cards with 1GB and 2GB of memory to see how they perform in games and which one is the best bang for the buck. Read on to see how these mainstream cards do when put to the test!

The Sapphire HD 7790 2GB GDDR5 OC has a good overall appearance with a black PCB, black plastic fan shroud and a black fan. The triple black motif is broken up with some chrome accents across the fan shroud and the exhaust bracket itself. You can also see the two copper U-shaped heatpipes, which adds a third dimension when it comes to the color pallet.

Article Title: Sapphire Radeon HD 7790 2GB OC Edition Video Card Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2175/1/
Pricing At Time of Print: $169.99 plus shipping
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Sapphire Radeon HD 7790 2GB OC Edition Video Card Review

Post by Major_A »

I wonder if a game like Max Payne 3 would see a benefit. Reason I say that is while you are configuring the graphics options in the game it shows how much GDDR will be used and how much you have available. I was able to quickly fill up the "available" memory on my GTX 570 at my monitor's native res of 1680x1050.
INeedAFnSuffix
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by INeedAFnSuffix »

When it comes to noise levels the Sapphire HD7970 Dual-X OC 1GB was the quietest of the bunch at idle, but once the core is under full load you see the pair of fans spin up to over 2000 RPM and the card starts to get audible. The Sapphire Radeon HD 7790 OC 2GB runs hotter, but it's actually a 2-3dB quieter when gaming or in other GPU intensive tasks.
Nate ... Your recent articles have some errors :mrgreen:
Pretty sure 7970s dont come with 1GB or that they are particularly silent :snakeman:
I am shocked though, the 650 Ti Boost will outperform it but they draw alot more power. All for kepler supposedly being more "power-efficient" bull**** i'm hearing on OCN
In my town the 650 Ti Boost costs the same as a 7850 and the 7850 when OC'd gives crazy performance boosts compared to a 650 Ti Boost being OC'd
trouble
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by trouble »

FWIW I'm the person who only spends $150 on a graphics card after buying a 30" monitor. I work from home on projects that require many open windows, but only game occasionally. Further, my mATX box can't handle the heat of a 650Ti boost. This article was the only one that compared the 1gb and 2gb 7790 at 2560x1600, and made me spring for the extra RAM. Thanks for the benchmarks!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Haha thanks for the feedback and admitting to being a unicorn! Not too many people buy a 30-inch monitor and push it with a $150 or below video card!
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!