Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz Quad-Core CPU Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Today Intel officially announced their 4th Generation Intel Core Processor architecture code-named "Haswell." This is the "tock" in Intel's roadmap that many enthusiasts have been waiting over a year for. While the Intel Haswell processors remain on the tried and test 22nm process, they require a motherboard with the Z87 chipset and LGA 1150 socket. Read on to see how Haswell performs!

The Intel Core i7-4770K is an interesting processor to review from a performance standpoint. When it comes to raw CPU performance it appears that "Haswell" brings a small performance increase to the table over an "Ivy Bridge" processor. Is it a large enough performance gain to make those that just bought an Ivy Bridge system in 2012 to go run out and buy a whole new system? Not likely, but for those with older processors the performance of Haswell should give you nice gains and you'll be able to use the new LGA-1150 platform and reap the benefits of the new Intel Z87 chipset and supporting third party solutions...
Article Title: Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz Quad-Core CPU Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2203/1/
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz Quad-Core CPU Review

Post by Major_A »

Couple things...

1) When are AVX instructions used? I see they upped the performance from Sandy Bridge but I'm confused when they would come into play, playing games perhaps?

2) When Intel provided the ES to review did they ask that you compare it against the A10-5800K? I've noticed that in most reviews the FX processors were left out and the A10 was used. Or is this just a matter of you have 2 days to get the review live?

On a whole I'm a little disappointed with the results. Hopefully Richland won't disappoint.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Major_A wrote:Couple things...

1) When are AVX instructions used? I see they upped the performance from Sandy Bridge but I'm confused when they would come into play, playing games perhaps?

2) When Intel provided the ES to review did they ask that you compare it against the A10-5800K? I've noticed that in most reviews the FX processors were left out and the A10 was used. Or is this just a matter of you have 2 days to get the review live?

On a whole I'm a little disappointed with the results. Hopefully Richland won't disappoint.
AVX instructions are a 256-bit instruction set extension to Intel SSE and mainly is for applications that are Floating Point intensive. Actually, from what I understand, AVX is basically floating point only. There are many applications that can take advantage of it, but Intel specified to me that image, audio/video processing, scientific simulations, financial analytics and 3D modeling and analysis will see the most benefits.

As for what to compare it against... No, Intel just gave us a processor and said to have fun. We updated the test bench in May and sadly we ordered parts 5 weeks ago and some didn't arrive in time due to shipping errors. We made the move to Windows 8 for the very first time this week and started testing the processors. I have 2 Corsair 240GB Neutron GTX drives, so I had to pick two platforms. I wanted to use integrated graphics, so LGA1120 and AM3+ were out. I also feel those are the high-end platforms for enthusiasts and power users. I see LGA1150 and FM2 as being the mainstream platforms. Sure there is a major price difference between the A10-5800K and the 4770K, but I can't change that. Plus, like you noted Richland is right around the corner. So, it's a made rush now to get more processors tested on the new setup and to fix some issues we encountered. Not enough time in the day lately. It's been running benchmarks on 3 systems for 12+ hours a day for the past several weeks. You should see my test room. I got 4 monitors on the video card test machine. I got 2 more monitors on the CPU test stations and then I got my triple-monitor setup on my writing PC. 9 monitors, 4 systems and 20+ feet of bench space covered with hardware. Not going to want to see the power bill this month.

What are you disappointed by the most?
Follow Me on Twitter!
sgkean
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by sgkean »

Still undecided whether to go ahead and do an upgrade...lol here it is, the night of release and I can't decide LOL

i5-3570k to i5-4670k or maybe i7-4770k...

ARGH! Friggin decisions!!!!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I got a retailer that is supposed to send me an order when they can for the i5-4670k :) Intel didn't send me one, but I bought one and plan on reviewing it.
Follow Me on Twitter!
sgkean
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by sgkean »

Nice, maybe I'll hold out and see how it stands up against the i7-4770k...To be honest, not seeing much that makes me want to run out and get it. But if I sell my current box and build a new one, why not :D
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Apoptosis wrote:What are you disappointed by the most?
I guess the entire thing. The temperatures aren't the much better than previous gens. The overclocking has been pretty dismal from what I've seen. The only place where this is a better buy is in a laptop.
jnanster
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by jnanster »

Doesn't look all that impressive.
Runs very hot just like the Ivy Bridge. :oops:
I'm getting 4.5 GHz with a cheesy $20 cooler on my 2600K.
This seems to have only about 10% performance boost over the 2600K and it's 15% more and you need a new MoBo.
The new onboard graphics are good but who'd a chip like this without discreet graphics.
Doesn't add up to me.
Looks like the days double digit performance increases are gone. :(
ga-z77-dh3 (great & cheap O/C'er from Gigabyte)
i2600k/16 gigs Kingson 1600 (OC'ed to 4.5Ghz)
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 + (lapped, smok'in deal, 38C idle, 65C loaded)
MSI GTX 660ti Power Edition
Antec 900 case (quiet)
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

The only real promising advance IMO is the power savings for mobile.
Joe
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DJ Tucker »

performance is not bad but the temps are awful. how can intel pass this off as being safe. even the turbo mode gets the cpu up to 90c. really do need an aftermarket cooler bid time :(
MSI Z590 Gaming Edge Wifi
Core i7 10700KF 5Ghz @ 1.25v With Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super 1980Mhz @ 0.925v With TechN GPU Block
32Gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600Mhz 16-18-18-38
Aqua Computer Ultitube 200 Pro D5 Next
Corsair XR5 240mm x2 & 360mm
Intel 670p 2Tb & WD Blue M.2 2Tb
Corsair HX1000i
Philips Momentum 3000 24" (Main) & MSI Optix G241V E2 (Second)
Lian Li O11D
Roccat Vulcan 120 Aimo, Roccat Kone Aimo Remastered and Roccat Sym Pro Air
Zinn2b
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Zinn2b »

Apoptosis wrote:Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz Quad-Core CPU Review

Today Intel officially announced their 4th Generation Intel Core Processor architecture code-named "Haswell." This is the "tock" in Intel's roadmap that many enthusiasts have been waiting over a year for. While the Intel Haswell processors remain on the tried and test 22nm process, they require a motherboard with the Z87 chipset and LGA 1150 socket. Read on to see how Haswell performs!

The Intel Core i7-4770K is an interesting processor to review from a performance standpoint. When it comes to raw CPU performance it appears that "Haswell" brings a small performance increase to the table over an "Ivy Bridge" processor. Is it a large enough performance gain to make those that just bought an Ivy Bridge system in 2012 to go run out and buy a whole new system? Not likely, but for those with older processors the performance of Haswell should give you nice gains and you'll be able to use the new LGA-1150 platform and reap the benefits of the new Intel Z87 chipset and supporting third party solutions...
Article Title: Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz Quad-Core CPU Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2203/1/
I woud like to congrate you on a fine HONEST review. Its inline with what I get well done. The differance is I am on vary highend Water using Aquacomputer kryos xt silver based and running naked die. To stop rocking I had the lid machined works nicely I am presently @ 4.9 ghz 1.25 volts 68C at ful load . 24 hour prime stable . I will run it like this for about a week and than O/C higher but will not go over 1.3V My IB was stable at 5.2 ghz with the exact same setup . I hope to do the same with haswell 4770k. My Ivy ran 68C @ 5,2 ghz If I can keep haswell below 80C At 5.2 I will be happy. I really want to see a highend M/B with the 4770R from one of the board makers. I so want to play with it :) Its been awhie since I been here As I spent most of time At Anand forum. Until I just coudn't keep mysef undercontrol from the amdfanbais about temesh and its big brother. got a coupe of days off . But I decided to give Mod a piece of mind as to his subjectiveness and hoped judgement woud come to him sooner than later in a PM and still do lol :snakeman: Ya I know I bad . So I quit knowing it would be lifetime ban. These AMD fanbais will destroy Anand forum the same as they did XS forum . Well anyway nice to see an honest review So many failed :vom:
Turtle 1 banned accused of being Zinn2b.

THE THREAT! I am going to tie your socks in a knott.
Zinn2b
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Zinn2b »

I couldn't help but notice the Turtle 1 Zinn2b comment . Ya I bad :axe: Anyway I really don't think the tempurature for stock heatsink is good at all . But at the same time it doesn't effect me [-o<

Zinn2b
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Zinn2b »

FZ1 wrote:The only real promising advance IMO is the power savings for mobile.
really. is that as you want to see it or is that all the information you have on haswell. AVX2 will be vary good as programms become compiled for it now that is on the market Tsx Gather . Intel open Cl support in performance is better than any one elses by a large margin . The only fail I see in haswell is the heat sink intel Uses On none K models . On K models if you choose a stock heat sink that would be foolish. No reason to buy K if your not O/Cing and that requires after market Cooler. The Best example tho is intels open Cl . AMD has been screaming from the roofs its open Cl support . Intel has hardly said a thing about it . So AMD fanbais has used this for the last 3 years screaming about it. Yet at the end of the day intel flexes its compute advantage. A good example of AMD fanbais as being over the top. Go to AT forums there is a subject on Baytrail . Read what one fanbais says .. I know for fact he knows that Baytrail is going to be out befor Holiday season . I assume that is turkey day ,, But thats products we can buy. I plan on buying all my grandchildren baytrail tablets for xmas. X86 and android for the 2 brothers and android for the grandchild female. But the best example is is Ces forum post about Temesh and the out and out lies told by allot of AMD fanbais. This is ware I lost control and decided I couldn't stomach the lies any more that the mods allowed. 6 months later its now proven they were liars and I was correct as is usually the case . Thats why I used the Bay trail posting as an example . The AMD Fanbais saying baytrail wouldn't be out till mid 2014 isn't a mistake by him . He knows what intel stated he has the computex information . I understand its easy to error on information But thats not the case here. He out and out lied and the mods allowing it says much . So whats the problem? Intel is ready to surpass Arm in all things . Intel GT3 and GT3e is a threat to Dgraphics not bad yet but broadwell should prove interesting. This is going to impact many peoples lively hood . Arm NV AMD qualcom and hardwware site revenue . The hand writing is on the wall cleary written . Many thousands of people will be affected by intels success. AS most know or should know . Money is god in America and many thousands of people are going to lose a large share in their god. What will be will be . So the liars are crowling out of the woodwork in an act of desperation and deceit. Plan simplle truth you may not like it but what would you expect from people who value money over advancing Tech. ](*,)

Zinn2b
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Zinn2b »

I don't know what it means yet But over at XS news section They have a new intel roadmap up showing a New Haswell Cpu release for 3rd Qt. 2013 of a 4771k. I hope its GT3 and higher clocked stepping maybe Tim Fix. Maybe They doing what I did and its direct die with open Lid that would be good it makes a hugh differance on O/Cing and temps A cherry pick maybe 5.5 Ghz. Thats a bit of a reach but who knows I have mine at 5ghz Die direct with open lid cost me $100 to have it machined perfectly Intel could do it alot cheaper than I can. Mine hits 80C under full load With really good water set up . Well I off to see If any info on this chip other than roadmap