Corsair Carbide 300R Mid-Tower Case Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

As much as we’d all love to own the most expensive of everything, it’s only when you come back to reality that you realize that most people cannot. Today we have Corsair’s Carbide 300R in the house, which is supposed to be built and designed for those who have a tighter budget, but can spend closer to a Benjamin on a case. We will take a look and see what kind of features this case has, and see if spending a few bucks less will be worth it to you.

At first glance, I really liked the simple appearance of the 300R. The sleek flat black finish is always a winner in my books. On the front, Corsair added some extra design elements which were very welcome. These elements included things like the hex screw heads and the recessed mesh in front of the intake fan. The location of the I/O connectors, at the very top of the face, were definitely placed properly for those who place their computer on the ground or low.
Article Title: Corsair Carbide 300R Mid-Tower Case Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2235/1/
Pricing At Time of Print: $86.00 Shipped
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Corsair Carbide 300R Mid-Tower Case Review

Post by Major_A »

I get that this is the lower end/budget area of Corsair but they skimped in one place that's inexcusable. Add USB 2.0 ports to the front panel to fill in the empty space!

How much does that add to the cost to build the case when you are buying the connections at 10,000 or 20,000 at a time from China? An extra $0.07 a case?

Then there's this...
The only other problem that I had was the way the side panels mount to the case.
The easiest door I've ever owned was on my Chieftec Dragon (a what 12-14 year old design at this point). Slide the front of the panel against a half bar then push the door back to latch. Come on case designers!

Disclaimer: sorry about the superbad PS jobs.
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

Major_A wrote:I get that this is the lower end/budget area of Corsair but they skimped in one place that's inexcusable. Add USB 2.0 ports to the front panel to fill in the empty space!

How much does that add to the cost to build the case when you are buying the connections at 10,000 or 20,000 at a time from China? An extra $0.07 a case?
I'm surprised they didn't make them backwards compatible, in that they have the connector attached to the cable, should you not have 3.0 capabilities.

Then there's this...
The only other problem that I had was the way the side panels mount to the case.
The easiest door I've ever owned was on my Chieftec Dragon (a what 12-14 year old design at this point). Slide the front of the panel against a half bar then push the door back to latch. Come on case designers!

Disclaimer: sorry about the superbad PS jobs.
My easiest was my old gaming rig, which used the Cooler Master Cosmos case. Lift a switch on the top rear and the panel pops off. This particular setup was almost a "welcome back to 1995" or something. LOL!
"Bow down before the one you serve! You're going to get what you deserve!" - |\| | |/|
sgkean
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by sgkean »

I always loved the TaiChi side panel...take out a thumbscrew and the side panel would swing open from the hydraulic lifter :)
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

sgkean wrote:I always loved the TaiChi side panel...take out a thumbscrew and the side panel would swing open from the hydraulic lifter :)
You know, I forgot about that case. I built a system for a friend in a Tai Chi and I really thought that was an interesting setup. HUGE case, but it was awesome as heck.
"Bow down before the one you serve! You're going to get what you deserve!" - |\| | |/|
sgkean
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by sgkean »

I always wanted to check out the TT Sword, but never got a chance to. When I saw it at CES one year immediately fell in love with it, similar design but obviously enough of a difference (if I'm remembering right lol it was many years ago....)
INeedAFnSuffix
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by INeedAFnSuffix »

NAiLs wrote:
sgkean wrote:I always loved the TaiChi side panel...take out a thumbscrew and the side panel would swing open from the hydraulic lifter :)
You know, I forgot about that case. I built a system for a friend in a Tai Chi and I really thought that was an interesting setup. HUGE case, but it was awesome as heck.
And ugly ...