Google Nexus 7 Second Generation 2013 Tablet Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

We ran out and purchased the 2013 Nexus 7 from Best Buy on July 26th and have been using it daily since we picked it up from the store. There are tons of Nexus 7 reviews already online, but we wanted to spend a few days actually using it rather than staying up all night and just posting up a 'quickie' on a product that we never really used. Read on to see what we think and how it performs against the original!

If you liked the original Google Nexus 7, you are going to fall in love with the new Google Nexus 7! The Google and ASUS partnership once again pulled it off and have married together some great hardware and software in this 7-inch tablet. The improvements were across the board too, so you get a much more refined user experience. At the end of the day it really all boils down to the user experience and that is stellar on this particular tablet...
Article Title: Google Nexus 7 Second Generation 2013 Tablet Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2248/1/
Pricing At Time of Print: $229 shipped
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Google Nexus 7 Second Generation 2013 Tablet Review

Post by Major_A »

My sister wants a tablet and for the last 3 months I kept telling her to wait. Now I'm glad I did. Every review I've seen confirms that this tablet is superior in every way (to the old Nexus 7 that is). Thanks for the review and I'll pass it on to her.
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

I bought the first Nexus 7 simply to play around with to check out the Android OS. I liked the device itself but I don't really care for the Android OS. I guess maybe I'm too used to iOS but it seemed overly complex to me and some apps are only compatible with certain devices or versions of the OS. I sold it after about 2 months because I wasn't using it but I use my iPad every day.
Joe
Thunder350
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Thunder350 »

FZ1 wrote:I guess maybe I'm too used to iOS but it seemed overly complex to me and some apps are only compatible with certain devices or versions of the OS.
You say Android is too complex (I have no clue why), while us Android users say iOS is too dumbed down for granny to use. 8)

As for app incompatibility, maybe if you're using a older budget Android phone running Android 2.3. But any mid range-high end Android phone will be running Android 4.0+, which guarantees all apps work with it. If you own a Nexus device, you get the latest version of Android when Google releases it which ensures you have the latest features and optimizations without having to buy a new device like Apple does with iOS. (Like keeping Siri to the 4S when the 4 and 3GS are capable are running it, among many other things)
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Note that I said "overly complex" as in more than it needs to be, not "too complex" as in I can't figure it out. IMO it's a tablet and something I want to pick up and use without fuss. Having the ability (and needing to in some case) to have access to every conceivable setting is overkill, even for a geek like me. Do you really need to be able to tweak every aspect of the OS? I felt the early versions of iOS were too restrictive and vanilla so I used to jailbreak. Now I think they've made it much more robust to the point where I don't feel the need to jailbreak anymore.

I recall looking at apps in the store that stated they were only for x device.

Anyway, this wasn't meant to be an iOS vs Android debate, I really wanted to point out that I like the original hardware for the N7. I'm really surprised they did not add support for memory cards. It's something that the non-Apple devices always tout over the Apple devices so you kind of expect it. That was the one thing I wished it had when I had it and I'd love it for the iPad.
Joe
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I'm an Andriod user and have played with iOS a bunch and each have their pros and cons. I like the "openness" of Android and the simplicity of iOS. What I don't like about Android is the fragmentation of devices. Like you said some games/apps work and some don't. This kind of relates to the new NVIDIA SHIELD. It's a cool device but it will be obsolete in a year. The mobile market is moving like the PC market did 12 years ago. The minute you buy a new gadget it's already obsolete and by a fair bit with the stuff they have in development.
Thunder350
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Thunder350 »

FZ1 wrote: I'm really surprised they did not add support for memory cards. It's something that the non-Apple devices always tout over the Apple devices so you kind of expect it. That was the one thing I wished it had when I had it and I'd love it for the iPad.
That's mainly because this is a Google device, they're pushing cloud storage hard. (For better and worst)
na5m
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

1st Gen's QuadCore's not enough??????

Post by na5m »

Technology is such bul-chit. I bought a first-gen Nex7 last year because it claimed to be so "arse kicking", but it totally chokes on fat web sites
(like pcmag.com, nytimes.com, etc... & other pop-up and ad-hungry sites). A year ago, it was touted as being fast and powerful with its killer
"quad-core" technology. Krimony! if four cpu cores cannot render a web page in under 5 seconds (and yes, I have 20Mbps cable), then some folks
somewhere in a corporate advertising campus are certainly shoveling us consumers a metric ton of bul-chit. So... is it going to be that
in 2014 (when Google will begin offering the can't-do-without 3rdGen N7), the Nexus 7 (2ndGen) suddenly becomes the Nexus 7 (1stGen)?
I have little doubt that it will... :toimonster:
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

7" = e-reader - size does matter, your significant other lied to you.

I understand 7" is nice and portable, light (how weak are you people?) and easily held in one hand but putting 1080p content or even 720p content on a device as big as some GPS units and thinking it is a godsend is just wrong.

I hear "I use my tablet for everything" all the time. My response, cause I am an ass, "Well then throw your laptop and desktop away or else get 7" monitors since they are so awesome" - yea, I am an ass. I just don't get how people think so highly of a device that is a little bigger than a cell phone (although cell phones are a whole different topic with their overpricing (compare this tablet price with a cell phone - yea, makes no sense huh) and fragmentation).

10" should be a minimum standard for a tablet.

Yea, I am opinionated because I am right :finga: MUAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAA
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga: