NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Video Card Roundup – Tested at 4K

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Video Card Roundup – Tested at 4K

Post by Apoptosis »

The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti is hands down one the most powerful video cards on the market that money can buy. The GeForce GTX 780 Ti is powered by the fully enabled GK110 ‘Kepler’ GPU that features 2880 CUDA cores. The NVIDIA GTX780 Ti reference card runs at 875MHz core (928MHz boost) and has 3GB of GDDR5 memory running on a 384-bit bus at 1750MHz (7000MHz effective), but there are a number of add-in-board (AIB) partners that have released cards with factory overclocks and custom cooling solutions. If you are looking to improve your graphics performance you might be ready to move up to a GeForce GTX 780 Ti, but which one? There are more than a dozen NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti cards on the market in North America and many might have a hard time between picking one to purchase. We take three GTX 780 Ti cards and put them to the test!

Article Title: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Video Card Roundup – Tested at 4K
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/nvidia-gefo ... dup_137646
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
jodiuh
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Video Card Roundup – Tested at

Post by jodiuh »

No mention of the lower RPM's on the MSI.

Something is wrong w/ the noise levels as well. The ACX is spinning 500+ RPM faster than the MSI. The MSI fans are larger as well. Yet they have the SAME db @ load? Also, a 36 db noise floor is quite high. My old apt in the city is @ 25 db. How do I know something is wrong? Simple, I've owned both. The ACX is whiny, loud, and generally a nuisance compared to the sheer awesome that is the TF4. But it makes sense, doesn't it? It is the ACX 1 V the TF...FOUR. Hopefully, EVGA will consider all the complaints from Amazon, Newegg, OCN, etc into their next revision.

Finally, a 12,700 GPU score in Firestrike for a 1300 Mhz 780 Ti is very low. I can hit that @ 1200. Actually, I just ran my MSI GTX 780 Ti Gaming OC @ stock, unmodified by the MSI program speeds and got 12,158.
Last edited by jodiuh on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maximus hero
msi 780ti TF4
16GB
an ssd
a loud mechanical
a DX
a keyboard
a mouse
3 ips monitors
too many headphones
jodiuh
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by jodiuh »

Double post so you get the email noti Apoptosis.

Sorry if I came off so harsh and unappreciative in the first post. I'm very critical in nature and very poor w/ my delivery. Think of me as you would Harry Connick Jr's retarded brother, Jodiuh Connick. :rolleyes:

1. VERY detailed review.
2. GREAT screenshots in a clear manner.
3. Print article, ala all on one page?! Seriously, WHO else aside from AT does this anymore. Very nice.
4. GPU-Z shots for EVERYTHING!!!
5. Firestrike GPU scores.

I could go on, but I don't wanna sound like a TOTAL fanboy. Thanks for such an in-depth article Apop. You just scored a coveted spot in Jodiuh's "Tech Reviews" Feedly cat. =D>
maximus hero
msi 780ti TF4
16GB
an ssd
a loud mechanical
a DX
a keyboard
a mouse
3 ips monitors
too many headphones
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

jodiuh wrote:No mention of the lower RPM's on the MSI.

Something is wrong w/ the noise levels as well. The ACX is spinning 500+ RPM faster than the MSI. The MSI fans are larger as well. Yet they have the SAME db @ load? Also, a 36 db noise floor is quite high. My old apt in the city is @ 25 db. How do I know something is wrong? Simple, I've owned both. The ACX is whiny, loud, and generally a nuisance compared to the sheer awesome that is the TF4. But it makes sense, doesn't it? It is the ACX 1 V the TF...FOUR. Hopefully, EVGA will consider all the complaints from Amazon, Newegg, OCN, etc into their next revision.

Finally, a 12,700 GPU score in Firestrike for a 1300 Mhz 780 Ti is very low. I can hit that @ 1200. Actually, I just ran my MSI GTX 780 Ti Gaming OC @ stock, unmodified by the MSI program speeds and got 12,158.
The numbers are the numbers! Trust me when I saw that I don't have time to fake stuff or make stuff up. The sound meter I used has a tolerance of 1.5dB and it is not moved during testing. The cards change, but that is left alone. That means the positions of the fans move and since I'm testing from the edge of the board that matters. Also the types of bearings matter as you can have several fans with different bearings running at x RPM and they will sound different. The fan blade pitch, heatsink, fan shroud and choke whine (if any) also play a role when it comes to idle noise levels. There are a ton of variance possible, so I hope that helps.

As for the 3DMark scores... That is what I got on the test system with the latest 335 series drivers. The one thing I noted on the MSI card is that it was 'unsupported' by 3DMark. Not sure what that meant as all the other GTX 780 / GT 780 Ti cards have been supported.

As for the ACX cooler... It is a very nice first design and you are right... It will be interesting to see what EVGA does with the cooler on the new Maxwell cards, but I'm not sure if they will change it or not.
Follow Me on Twitter!
jodiuh
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by jodiuh »

I love how polite you are about the ACX fans. :D

I guess my issue w/ the noise readings is twofold.

Firstly, a 36 dbA noise floor is simply too high. Secondly, why measure so close to the chip? Wouldn't it make sense to test from a few feet away to imitate what it would be like to own this card? I mean...in a case w/ the door closed, etc. Sure, some of us use test benches, shoe boxes, or just lay it out on the desk. But I would bet dollar to dollar that the vast majority of users have their cards in a case.

See Techpowerup's reviews on these cards. They mirror my findings and I tested the same way they did.
maximus hero
msi 780ti TF4
16GB
an ssd
a loud mechanical
a DX
a keyboard
a mouse
3 ips monitors
too many headphones
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

jodiuh wrote:I love how polite you are about the ACX fans. :D

I guess my issue w/ the noise readings is twofold.

Firstly, a 36 dbA noise floor is simply too high. Secondly, why measure so close to the chip? Wouldn't it make sense to test from a few feet away to imitate what it would be like to own this card? I mean...in a case w/ the door closed, etc. Sure, some of us use test benches, shoe boxes, or just lay it out on the desk. But I would bet dollar to dollar that the vast majority of users have their cards in a case.

See Techpowerup's reviews on these cards. They mirror my findings and I tested the same way they did.
Simple answer... Space is an issue right now as we have five monitors taking up two 8-foot tables for testing and to move the sound meter off the table would mean we need another tripod and so on. I'm also thinking about doing videos for all sound testing in the future as I think that better shows sound differences than bar charts - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYCSe5MM ... tube_gdata
Follow Me on Twitter!
jodiuh
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by jodiuh »

Please forgive me Apop. You have been nothing but awesome and here I was criticizing you. You owe me nothing.

PM me if there is anything you want/need for me.

I've got no space either. Trying to unload a 50" plasma and a benq xl2420te. Ugh...life!!! Good luck buddy! I will do what I can to support and make it up to you!!!!

Jod
maximus hero
msi 780ti TF4
16GB
an ssd
a loud mechanical
a DX
a keyboard
a mouse
3 ips monitors
too many headphones