Linksys WRT1900AC Dual Band Wireless AC Router Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Linksys WRT1900AC Dual Band Wireless AC Router Review

Post by Apoptosis »

The Linksys WRT1900AC Dual band Smart WiFi Router takes its design and inspiration directly from the original WRT54G blue/black stackable classic look. The WRT1900AC is designed to be the most powerful and feature-rich home and small office network router available on the market today. Read on to see how it performs!

Article Title: Linksys WRT1900AC Dual Band Smart WiFi Wireless AC Router Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/linksys-wrt ... iew_146957
Pricing At Time of Print: $234.77 Shipped
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Linksys WRT1900AC Dual Band Wireless AC Router Review

Post by kenc51 »

Nice review (as always)

I suspect the speed is due to firmware issues since there was only one f/w update available since launch.
Generally router vendors initial f/w build(s) just ensure the basic functionality and then they work on performance after.
(It will have to improve to justify the cost)

May be I missed it, but what read/write speeds do you get from an external HDD?
With it running a 1GHz ARM CPU, I'd expect it to be able to provide good throughput - This is where it might standout from the competition.
With USB3 and an eSATA port and in theory enough RAM and CPU horsepower, it could be used for a 1/2 decent NAS.
Then with add-on modules from either Linksys or 3rd party firmware - they could add functionality like a bittorrent client etc.
Digital Puppy

Post by Digital Puppy »

I was hoping that the lack of speed was due to the firmware version, but it's not like this router *just* got released. We were provided a new firmware that Belkin/Linksys are planning to release to the public in the next few weeks, but it really made no difference in performance.

We did look at the USB 3.0 speeds as it related to creating a NAS, but I wasn't really happy with our testing. Overall, the speed of the throughput wasn't as impressive as we were hoping for - especially with the dual-core processor.
Just a little puppy trying to make it in a big digital world.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Digital Puppy wrote:I was hoping that the lack of speed was due to the firmware version, but it's not like this router *just* got released. We were provided a new firmware that Belkin/Linksys are planning to release to the public in the next few weeks, but it really made no difference in performance.

We did look at the USB 3.0 speeds as it related to creating a NAS, but I wasn't really happy with our testing. Overall, the speed of the throughput wasn't as impressive as we were hoping for - especially with the dual-core processor.
Ouch
Digital Puppy

Post by Digital Puppy »

kenc51 wrote:
Digital Puppy wrote:I was hoping that the lack of speed was due to the firmware version, but it's not like this router *just* got released. We were provided a new firmware that Belkin/Linksys are planning to release to the public in the next few weeks, but it really made no difference in performance.

Ouch
Uh, oh...did I make it sound that bad? :D

I'll be retesting this one with a different client (A netgear R7000 rather than an R6300v1). I'll also publish the USB3.0 speeds. Maybe with a more 'modern' client, the Linksys will come to life.
Just a little puppy trying to make it in a big digital world.