ECS LIVA Mini PC Kit Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

ECS LIVA Mini PC Kit Review

Post by Apoptosis »

Today we’ll be taking a look at the ECS LIVA MINI PC KIT with 32GB of eMMC for storage needs. ECS configured the LIVA Min PC kit with an Intel BayTrail-M SoC (Intel Celeron Processor N2807), 2GB 1333MHz DDR3L memory, 32GB of eMMC and a M.2 form factor combo wireless card that supports 802.11b/g/n wireless and Bluetooth 4.0. All the hardware you need to install Windows 8.1 or Linux comes with the kit, so you just need to assemble it and slap on the OS. Read on to see how it goes together and how it performs.

Article Title: ECS LIVA Mini PC Kit Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/ecs-liva-mi ... iew_149091
Pricing At Time of Print: $132.99 after a $33 promo code at Newegg
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: ECS LIVA Mini PC Kit Review

Post by XstollieX »

Not a bid little system. I don't get the ability to run off of a battery pack though. You'll still need power to drive a monitor to see what you're working on.
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gwolfman »

Interesting.

Can you provide either a close up picture of the sticker on the power brick or provide the specifications listed? I'm assuming 5v DC output as it's a USB connector, but how many watts is it rated for?

Thanks!
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gwolfman »

XstollieX wrote:Not a bid little system. I don't get the ability to run off of a battery pack though. You'll still need power to drive a monitor to see what you're working on.
Maybe true for Windows, but if you're running Linux you could have a service running on there that others can connect to and no need for a monitor. Here's a possible situation:

Plug in the battery pack to your LIVA and let it boot. Walk (or sit) around the mall with your machine configured to act an open Wi-Fi access point, act as a web proxy and capture people's network traffic.

Just an idea, but it's possible, and no keyboard or monitor are required.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

gwolfman wrote:Interesting.

Can you provide either a close up picture of the sticker on the power brick or provide the specifications listed? I'm assuming 5v DC output as it's a USB connector, but how many watts is it rated for?

Thanks!

Sure! It is rated for 3Amps, so that would be 15 Watts.
adapter.jpg
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gwolfman »

Thanks for getting back to me on this! (The reason I love LR.)

Not aware of any third party 5 volts x 3 amperes power supplies, so finding a replacement might be difficult.
mandm
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by mandm »

gwolfman wrote:
XstollieX wrote:Not a bid little system. I don't get the ability to run off of a battery pack though. You'll still need power to drive a monitor to see what you're working on.
Maybe true for Windows, but if you're running Linux you could have a service running on there that others can connect to and no need for a monitor. Here's a possible situation:

Plug in the battery pack to your LIVA and let it boot. Walk (or sit) around the mall with your machine configured to act an open Wi-Fi access point, act as a web proxy and capture people's network traffic.

Just an idea, but it's possible, and no keyboard or monitor are required.
Have you been able to create an AP mode with the LIVA PC, i installed ubuntu 12.04 on it and am trying to start the hostapd and it keeps erroring out?